HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 11:03 PM

Someone should post the pricing chart for Bomber season tickets.

Our 2 season tickets, 9 regular season plus a pre-season game and potentially a playoff game, are $450. Would have cost $600 for the exact same seats for just the Grey Cup game. No f-in way are we paying that. And no way are we making any commitment to the Bombers long-term to save $200 on Grey Cup tickets. Don't trust them one iota.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 3:47 AM

Pricing chart is on this page, just scroll down.

http://www.bluebombers.com/grey-cup-2015-faq

Quite simply, Wade Miller and the Bomber organizing committee gambled on Grey Cup pricing and lost. Not only did they think it wise to charge the highest average Grey Cup ticket price in history, but in a unprecedented move, they felt it necessary to secure a three year commitment from season ticket holders before offering a discount on tickets vs. the standard one-year commitment.

Frankly, I'm inclined to believe Miller and co. looked at the pricing model in Regina from two years ago (when these ridiculous prices became apparent) and said, "hey, let's charge that in the new stadium. If they can sell tickets at that high of a price in Regina no reason we can't do that here!" Problem is, (1)Rider fans are amongst the most loyal fanbase in the league willing to pay some of the highest prices for tickets including the Grey Cup and (2)they were in the midst of a relatively prosperous period at the time Grey Cup sales went on sale leading to a large amount of goodwill. In contrast, the Bomber organization is at it's lowest point since the late 60s and the team's goodwill in the community has reached an all-time low due to series of bad hires, the stadium debacle and declining gameday experience.

'Peggers, maybe moreso than elsewhere, are value conscious. Charging the same $399 price for a front row seat on the 30-yard line in the lower bowl as a seat in the 27th row of the upper deck at the goal line is absolutely asinine. So it's no wonder that those upper deck seats are the poorest sellers for the Grey Cup as value conscious consumers appear to agree with me. This also applies to the $299 corner upper deck seats or $299 endzone seats - both available in abundance.

Prior to last year's game in BC, which incidentally, was also over-priced and undersold, the Grey Cup had sold out PRIOR to the beginning of the regular season for 5 consecutive years. That was the precedent that the Bomber organization should have tried to match and they failed spectacularly. Had they added another price point for the upper deck (ie. $250 discount, $300 non-discount for tickets between the 10 or 20 yard lines), rid themselves of the ridiculous 3-year commitment and lowered some of the price points on the current chart, I don't doubt that the game would be a near sellout by this point just as it was in 2006. Back then, there were only 1500 or so tickets a few weeks out from the game.

A poor Bomber and Rider team should have been of little relevance to ticket sales as proper price points would have resulted in several thousand additional seats sold prior to the season's commencement. Now, we have reached a point only 13 weeks out from the Grey Cup and there are still 11,000 unsold seats. Safe to say, a few thousand might sell at regular price.

Similar to BC last year, I expect thousands of seats to be sold to corporations at a steep discount. Hundreds or thousands more will be given to charities and volunteers to further pad the numbers - again, just like BC.

This may have some severe long-term ramifications for the organization. Besides the obvious - lower than expected profits to assist in the annual repayment of the stadium - the city may not be able to bid for the Grey Cup at the end of the next cycle in 8-9 years. A poor showing may result in a 12 year wait or even longer before we see the game return to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 4:10 AM

Much like Riverman, I never thought the ticket prices here stood out much compared to the other recent Grey Cups I've bought tickets for.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Much like Riverman, I never thought the ticket prices here stood out much compared to the other recent Grey Cups I've bought tickets for.
They are only a little bit higher than the last three for comparable seats. The problem is, last year in BC there were 15,000 or more seats available at the beginning of the season and still over 10,000 the week before the game. They ended up giving away tickets to volunteers and offered huge discounts to various corporations and the game was still 2000 short of a sellout. The league and the Bombers obviously learned nothing from the experience, charging slightly more this year.

Saskatchewan has a greater tolerance for the higher prices seeing as the Riders are of higher standing in the province and the recent success. Toronto, well, it's the corporate capital of Canada and the 100th Grey Cup can sell itself.

Previous Grey Cups in Vancouver (2011), Edmonton (2010), Calgary (2009), and Montreal (2008) shows a significant difference in pricing for almost any comparable seats, especially without the discount. Calgary, for example had corner endzone seats for $250 while in Winnipeg those same seats sold for $349 in the lower bowl and $299 or $399 in the upper bowl. Discounted seats in Calgary in the temp endzone stands sold for $120 while in Winnipeg the temps were not offered at a discount at all - over $175 a pop. Meanwhile the permanent endzone seats sold for $199 with the discount and a steep $299 without.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 1:50 PM

^ The Riders hosted in 2013 during an exceptional run in which the team was winning and fan mania was riding high. By contrast, the Bombers have been dreadful for the last few years and are only marginally better this season with still little chance of actually making the Grey Cup. It's tough to sell tickets for top dollar under those circumstances.

Like I said before, the reputational hit from non-sellout Grey Cups is pretty significant... it tarnishes the prestige of the game in a big way especially given that the news media likes to fixate on that whenever it happens. It's an easy story, after all. I'm surprised that the league doesn't focus more on ensuring that the game actually sells out even if that means charging a bit less for tickets.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 6:42 PM

Besides freebees to volunteers and charities and discounted tickets to corporations, I wonder if the Bombers might offer some kind of package deals to the general public to sell out the game. Buy a ticket and get a $100 GC for the Bomber Store; buy a ticket and receive a gift card from the Bomber Store, gc for Bomber concessions and some schwag.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 8:12 PM
jammon member

I`ve gone to the previous three Grey Cups and I am not going this year. For the many reasons that have already been stated- expensive ticket prices, the mismanagement of the organization, etc. I just cannot justify paying the prices of these tickets for an organization, to be quite frank, I have come to loathe. That`s a sad statement from a former True Blue fan, and now, I just don`t care.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
I`ve gone to the previous three Grey Cups and I am not going this year. For the many reasons that have already been stated- expensive ticket prices, the mismanagement of the organization, etc. I just cannot justify paying the prices of these tickets for an organization, to be quite frank, I have come to loathe. That`s a sad statement from a former True Blue fan, and now, I just don`t care.
I can understand this sentiment. I love the Bombers and still support them, but I concede that they have been a terribly run organization for as far back as I can remember. It's really a minor miracle that they ever managed to get a new stadium built.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
But with the Bombers being sub-par this season and the prospects of a Grey Cup appearance becoming more remote by the week, it's not surprising that people will just sit on their wallets, keep the cash and watch the game at home.
Actually this past week the Bombers were on the bye and moved from fourth to third in the west and into a playoff birth. Granted they still have a lot of games in front of them but with two games versus the "Owen" Riders they should be no worse than 5-7 on the season in three weeks time.

In terms of some sort of promotional discount or offer on Grey Cup tickets for non-STH I except the best you will see if the team offer people putting a deposit of $100 down per seat and making a three year commitment to the team starting next season to receive the same $100 discount on the Grey Cup tickets. They might extend that offer to the temporary seats for new STH. That is no way any other kind of offer is put forward as the amount of good will it would burn through on an already taxed season ticket holder base would have a far larger long term negative impact on the team than letting 6,000 or so seats at the Grey Cup sit empty.

In terms of pricing, the cheapest season tickets, for 11 games, are $254 a seat in the corner sections of the upper deck. For the Grey Cup, after the three year discount, you are paying $199 a seat for a single game. One "upside" that isn't commonly published is if you are a STH and have a season parking pass and opted into the Grey Cup offer your parking on Grey Cup game day is free. For others it will be the normal $20+ and might end up being higher when announced.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 4:03 PM

^ Even if the Bombers squeak into the playoffs I doubt they'd get past the semi. I know anything can happen, but it's just not their year.

It is sad that the Bombers have been responsible for one of the biggest Grey Cup bungles in recent years (98) and are on track to having another one this year. In my view there have been five Grey Cups where the host committee did a crap job of selling tickets and marketing the event. All of them were in the 90s when the entire CFL was teetering on the brink of extinction. Ever since then, the Grey Cup game has usually sold out or came very close... this will likely be the first season since the bad old 90s where it will be neither. Unacceptable, and a complete organizational screwup by any measure.

Speaking of Grey Cups, I wonder when they're going to announce next year's host site? They used to do it about 2 years in advance, now it's down to just one. That can't be helping with the planning and organizing. Personally I think they'd be crazy not to go to Hamilton. The team is hot and people are in love with them, and they are actually experiencing a new stadium honeymoon there. Plus it will have been 20 years since the last Grey Cup was played in the Hammer.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Actually this past week the Bombers were on the bye and moved from fourth to third in the west and into a playoff birth. Granted they still have a lot of games in front of them but with two games versus the "Owen" Riders they should be no worse than 5-7 on the season in three weeks time.

In terms of some sort of promotional discount or offer on Grey Cup tickets for non-STH I except the best you will see if the team offer people putting a deposit of $100 down per seat and making a three year commitment to the team starting next season to receive the same $100 discount on the Grey Cup tickets. They might extend that offer to the temporary seats for new STH. That is no way any other kind of offer is put forward as the amount of good will it would burn through on an already taxed season ticket holder base would have a far larger long term negative impact on the team than letting 6,000 or so seats at the Grey Cup sit empty.

In terms of pricing, the cheapest season tickets, for 11 games, are $254 a seat in the corner sections of the upper deck. For the Grey Cup, after the three year discount, you are paying $199 a seat for a single game. One "upside" that isn't commonly published is if you are a STH and have a season parking pass and opted into the Grey Cup offer your parking on Grey Cup game day is free. For others it will be the normal $20+ and might end up being higher when announced.
Our tickets at the old stadium were $200+fees for upperdeck corner, when we switched to IGF, the price actually went down to $175 for essentially the same seats. They went up immediately the next year, however we committed to 3 years so we locked in that price.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 5:17 PM

^^ The CFL can turn on a dime. Look at the 2007 when Kevin Glenn broke his arm while the team won the eastern final resulting in Ryan Dinwiddie getting his first career start at quarterback in the championship game. Similarly, this season if Durant did not take a season ending injury in the season opener against the Bombers it is doubtful the team would have lost eight straight games.

This article from May 2015 hints that the 2016 Grey Cup has been awarded to Toronto and will be played at BMO Field but has not officially been announced.

source

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 6:23 PM

^ I wonder if this season is making the league reconsider... it's clear that Toronto has its work cut out in terms of rebuilding that franchise... I'm not sure that they're up to the task of moving the team, selling tickets for 2016 AND selling the Grey Cup on top of that. Much more prudent to give it to Hamilton whose organization is stronger now than it has been since the 70s, and then Toronto in 2017, followed by Ottawa in 2018 and Montreal in 2019. The western teams have gone to the well on Grey Cups a lot in recent years... time to give them a bit of a break and put it out east for a while.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 6:45 PM

^^ The Grey Cup follows a mostly east-west rotation so four eastern games in a row is unlikely to fly.

The Toronto 2016 plans would seem to heavily hinge on what is happening with the BMO Field renovation plans. It is possible they are waiting for some report on that before announcing to confirm it will be ready in time. Imagine selling a Winnipeg Grey Cup for 2012 telling everyone that will listen it will absolutely without question be played at the newly opened IGF only to then have to turn tail and say opps, it isn't ready and we are moving it to CanadInns Stadium.

Personally I think for that reason Toronto 2016 is a huge gamble. I would put it in Ottawa in 2016 and offer 2017 to Edmonton with 2018 being a bid process between Hamilton and Toronto. That would leave 2020 as a possible date for the new stadium in Calgary if that happens, if not it could go to the other eastern team. It also seems like Montreal is a long shot to host another Grey Cup as their home field is too small leaving the Big O to fill in as host.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Even if the Bombers squeak into the playoffs I doubt they'd get past the semi. I know anything can happen, but it's just not their year.

It is sad that the Bombers have been responsible for one of the biggest Grey Cup bungles in recent years (98) and are on track to having another one this year. In my view there have been five Grey Cups where the host committee did a crap job of selling tickets and marketing the event. All of them were in the 90s when the entire CFL was teetering on the brink of extinction. Ever since then, the Grey Cup game has usually sold out or came very close... this will likely be the first season since the bad old 90s where it will be neither. Unacceptable, and a complete organizational screwup by any measure.

Speaking of Grey Cups, I wonder when they're going to announce next year's host site? They used to do it about 2 years in advance, now it's down to just one. That can't be helping with the planning and organizing. Personally I think they'd be crazy not to go to Hamilton. The team is hot and people are in love with them, and they are actually experiencing a new stadium honeymoon there. Plus it will have been 20 years since the last Grey Cup was played in the Hammer.
When Braley sold the Argos to Tannenbaum, he and the other owner were guaranteed the Grey Cup in 2016. So it will be in Toronto, it's just a question as to whether it will be at Rogers Centre or BMO

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 1:37 AM

Just checked Ticketmaster for Saturday's game and it's definitely the least amount of tickets sold so far this season

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 2:35 PM

^^ This Saturday's game is being heavily promoted as a "family" game with special youth price tickets available from Boston Pizza in addition to the usual promotion through Co-op.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 2:40 PM

^ It's tough to sell tickets when the team looks like it's just going through the motions... again.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 7:22 PM

^^ The Bombers starting QB is out, the team is struggling and playing one of the better teams this season. Been to lots of different pro sporting events over the years and nothing has quite approached the level of impending doom that seems to happen when attending a Bomber game. They need to get back to a point where people think they have a honest chance at winning every game.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ The Bombers starting QB is out, the team is struggling and playing one of the better teams this season. Been to lots of different pro sporting events over the years and nothing has quite approached the level of impending doom that seems to happen when attending a Bomber game. They need to get back to a point where people think they have a honest chance at winning every game.
Yeah, it really is something else. It's such a sea change from the era in which I became a Bomber fan and started going to Bomber games... in the five seasons from 1990-1994 inclusive, they lost 6 regular season home games. They lost 1 out of 6 home playoff games during that span. When you went to a game, you'd pretty much take it for granted that they'd win, the question was whether or not it would be a blowout win.

These days it feels like every season, everyone is just bracing themselves for when the bottom inevitably falls out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan