HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #701  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:09 PM
ASU Diablo ASU Diablo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Maybe outside of the economics of a move to a more well off demographic, would be the consideration of Scottsdale's current success hosting a majority of spring training games and the existing entertainment districts that draw people from all over the valley particularly from mesa, gilbert and Tempe. A move to Scottsdale could potentially increase attendance or per ticket sales prices, especially as more sports teams (such as phoenix rising) consider that area for their stadiums. It would be awesome to have a scottsdale sports/entertainment district other than Westgate on the west side of Phoenix. Just speculation on my part, but all could be drivers for a relocation plan.
Perhaps but you will have all these disparate entertainment districts MILES from each other. Proposed PHX Rising arena will be 10 miles away from Salt River Fields if DBacks decide to build near there.

Also, I don't buy the whole affluent demographic argument, higher attendance or that they can charge more per seat if they move to Scottsdale. For the Coyotes situation, a resounding yes. But for the DBacks? It's been proven that the DBacks can put 35K+ butts in seats for either a marquee opponent or a weekend series, even in the brutal summer. Couple that with putting a winning team on the field, and the fans will come. The problem is that it's too big. I think the real driver here is owning/building an entertainment district around the ballpark and u make additional revenue that way as well. Giving the DBacks ownership of Chase Field (maintenance, booking events) was a step in the right direction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #702  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:21 PM
Mr.RE Mr.RE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Perhaps but you will have all these disparate entertainment districts MILES from each other. Proposed PHX Rising arena will be 10 miles away from Salt River Fields if DBacks decide to build near there.

Also, I don't buy the whole affluent demographic argument, higher attendance or that they can charge more per seat if they move to Scottsdale. For the Coyotes situation, a resounding yes. But for the DBacks? It's been proven that the DBacks can put 35K+ butts in seats for either a marquee opponent or a weekend series, even in the brutal summer. Couple that with putting a winning team on the field, and the fans will come. The problem is that it's too big. I think the real driver here is owning/building an entertainment district around the ballpark and u make additional revenue that way as well. Giving the DBacks ownership of Chase Field (maintenance, booking events) was a step in the right direction.
The affluent argument is less so than the physical location. I just think in Rush hour traffic, you can get more people to games in Scottsdale than downtown phoenix whom live in mesa, gilbert, chandler etc. Now that may change when the loop 202 is complete but I agree with your point that a more boutique stadium size that could potentially lead to selling out more games would be the best move. It just looks barren with the amount of empty seats when in reality most games do have a high attendance in terms of # of people.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #703  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:44 PM
ASU Diablo ASU Diablo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
The affluent argument is less so than the physical location. I just think in Rush hour traffic, you can get more people to games in Scottsdale than downtown phoenix whom live in mesa, gilbert, chandler etc. Now that may change when the loop 202 is complete but I agree with your point that a more boutique stadium size that could potentially lead to selling out more games would be the best move. It just looks barren with the amount of empty seats when in reality most games do have a high attendance in terms of # of people.
Perhaps. But rush hour traffic in that area is already bad. A spring training game in that area on a weekend is twice as bad and that's just 11K fans. Imagine possibly triple that? At least in downtown, there is public transportation and the influx of thousands of residents over the next couple of years that will live nearby and can walk/light rail it up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #704  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:52 PM
RonnieFoos RonnieFoos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Perhaps. But rush hour traffic in that area is already bad. A spring training game in that area on a weekend is twice as bad and that's just 11K fans. Imagine possibly triple that? At least in downtown, there is public transportation and the influx of thousands of residents over the next couple of years that will live nearby and can walk/light rail it up.
Exactly. Comparing Spring training attendance at 11k which includes a lot of out-of-towners, remnant snowbirds and retirees is a completely different scenario than a 35k+ season game during after-work rush hour and a much larger local attendance.
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #705  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:53 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,099
The affluent argument doesnt hold for baseball games, Dbacks draw as much west valley attendance as east valley attendance.

Now if we are talking Hokey, thats a sport that appeals to Scottsdale Demographics.

It seems strange that these sports teams invested time and money to locate downtown in the 1990's when it was shit, wish to leave now that its popular.

All that says to me is that the city isnt doing a good job selling.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #706  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:59 PM
RonnieFoos RonnieFoos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
The affluent argument doesnt hold for baseball games, Dbacks draw as much west valley attendance as east valley attendance.

Now if we are talking Hokey, thats a sport that appeals to Scottsdale Demographics.

It seems strange that these sports teams invested time and money to locate downtown in the 1990's when it was shit, wish to leave now that its popular.

All that says to me is that the city isnt doing a good job selling.
Agree that the city is not a good salesman. However, getting voter approval could be part of that reason. I am not sure residents will go for new stadiums at this time. We are barely getting future LTR to stay afloat as it is.

However, with the strides that Downtown is now making, the last thing Phoenix will want is the Diamondback (and possibly Suns) pulling up stakes and going elsewhere. Granted, Downtown can probably sustain itself at this point, but why risk it? Phoenix will cave IMO if their hand is forced.
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #707  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:20 PM
ASU Diablo ASU Diablo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Agree that the city is not a good salesman. However, getting voter approval could be part of that reason. I am not sure residents will go for new stadiums at this time. We are barely getting future LTR to stay afloat as it is.

However, with the strides that Downtown is now making, the last thing Phoenix will want is the Diamondback (and possibly Suns) pulling up stakes and going elsewhere. Granted, Downtown can probably sustain itself at this point, but why risk it? Phoenix will cave IMO if their hand is forced.
Yes! And now that Maricopa County is out of the picture, Phoenix can partner directly w/ the DBacks about their future in downtown. I really hope something materializes from Hines regarding their interest to purchase most of 3rd St down to Washington St. Private/public partnership for a new Suns arena and then do something about the DBacks to get them to stay (either reno or new land in downtown)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #708  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 4:12 PM
RonnieFoos RonnieFoos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,440
Scottsdale offices to be torn down to make way for new Kierland apartments

A couple office buildings going down for more residential in the Kierland area:

Quote:
Catherine Reagor, Arizona RepublicPublished 3:16 p.m. MT Dec. 5, 2018

Homebuilder Lennar Corp. has purchased two Scottsdale office buildings in Kierland that it plans to tear down to make way for new luxury apartments.

The company paid almost $18 million for the two buildings, located on about four acres, public estate records show.

The apartment project is planned for along 71st Street between Paradise and Tierra Buena lanes in the high-end shopping, office, resort and residential area that straddles the Phoenix/Scottsdale border.

“It is unusual for the sale of two high-quality office buildings to result in demolition,” said Greg Hopley, executive vice president of Colliers International in Phoenix, who brokered the sale. “This is indicative of the premium being placed on well-located multifamily sites during this very robust cycle of apartment development.”

Lennar plans to start construction on the apartment project next Fall. The complex could be as tall as six stories and may also include townhomes.

Developer DMB has been planning a hotel/condominium/retail high-rise in Kierland, but hasn’t received zoning approval.

There are four Optima Kierland apartment and condominium towers recently built or planned in the area.

Condo prices in Kierland now easily top $1 million. The area also has some of the Valley’s highest apartment rents, with two-bedroom rentals costing more than $1,800 a month in some complexes.
Source: https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...ix/2217380002/
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #709  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 12:00 AM
jward145 jward145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
A vertical crane was installed today at the Ritz Carlton site in PV. This project is now moving very quickly! Parking garages (underground) and other structures are already finishing up.

https://www.facebook.com/43923325979...1755224213250/

They've been posting updates all along showing off construction on their FB page--here's one showing all of the progress so far.
https://www.facebook.com/43923325979...9482577773848/
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:05 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.