HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 8:09 PM
http://djsnola.tumblr.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah... university politics are really pretty bad - most of the arguments are about stuff that is, in the end, not terribly important, so people have no incentive to reach compromise. They'd rather just nurse a grudge.

Oh god, I hope not. Why would Ikea want to go to Covington and put themselves 20 miles away from all the people in tiny apartments and shotguns in the city who could use cheap furniture to help them organize? I'd rather see them go by the power plant, but it might also work at Gentilly Woods.

I don't think 5 Best Buys are too much, but I do think 2 Best Buys is too much for Vets... spread 'em around. Of course, they only opened at Lakeside because they got a really good deal when Circuit City folded.
How have you guys found out about the tenant list for Carrolton... also any idea of when construction might begin?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 4:04 AM
TL;DR

The dude on the last page posted the tenant list. He also said construction would start as soon as the city rebuilds the intersection.

In most other places, they would time the construction so the shopping center opening would coincide with the intersection opening, and the city would be stumbling over themselves to rebuild the intersection as soon as possible. Not in New Orleans... lol.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 4:20 AM

Quote:
The dude on the last page posted the tenant list. He also said construction would start as soon as the city rebuilds the intersection.

In most other places, they would time the construction so the shopping center opening would coincide with the intersection opening, and the city would be stumbling over themselves to rebuild the intersection as soon as possible. Not in New Orleans... lol.
It's not exactly a choice that the city made. When the recession hit all of tenants were essentially frozen in place with the exception of the Barnes & Nobel - which is a retailer that is contracting not expanding - and is going to be replaced by BB&B.

There was no need for the city to expend any dollars to rebuild an intersection that would allow for traffic to turn off of Carrollton into nothing for two years with no guarantee that anything would every be built (Even thought it is the most desirous retail location in the city no leases were ever signed).

Once it's awarded the Feil people will then be able to reassure already nervous and cautious retailers and move forward on the project.

Also, the entire center has already been designed and agreed upon with the surrounding neighborhood.

It's going to be pretty stunning. Obviously not everyone will be happy but for a power center it's going to be really unique.

The guy who designed it is out of Atlanta and has done some really beautiful retail stuff.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Yeah... university politics are really pretty bad - most of the arguments are about stuff that is, in the end, not terribly important, so people have no incentive to reach compromise. They'd rather just nurse a grudge.

Oh god, I hope not. Why would Ikea want to go to Covington and put themselves 20 miles away from all the people in tiny apartments and shotguns in the city who could use cheap furniture to help them organize? I'd rather see them go by the power plant, but it might also work at Gentilly Woods.

I don't think 5 Best Buys are too much, but I do think 2 Best Buys is too much for Vets... spread 'em around. Of course, they only opened at Lakeside because they got a really good deal when Circuit City folded.
I'm pretty sure they are closing the Best Buy on Vets (The very small one by Lakeside Mall) once the one at Carrollton opens.

At least that was the plan.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
I nice to hear that some development is planned for the Carrollton Shopping Center. I wonder if 5 Best Buys are too much for a city this size, but we need something in the city. Are these the only supposed tenants or will there be more?

I recently heard someone rambling on about Ikea looking to build in Covington, supposedly they are "in the know". None of us took him seriously, however.
I hate to hear that Ikea's looking at Covington. Makes sense but if we could ever get the ball field (realistic but city's financial stake has to be lowered dramatically) and/or amusement park (pipe dream imo) moving there is land adjacent and near the interstate exchange that would be ideal for a max sized IKEA.

Throw in a nicely designed high end outlet center and it would really help get NOLA East moving, especially with the new hospital out there.

FYI - I'm not talking Tanger-style outlets like they have in Gonzales. I'm talking along the lines of the ones they have in Foley, AL.

That way while dad's are at the ball fields with their sons and/or daughters for baseball/sofball tournaments for the weekend the moms are killing it at IKEA and the outlets.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Thanks for posting the Audubon Hotel article Rev! I work crazy hours, so I didn't see the article till a few minutes ago (2 AM). Great project for that section of St. Charles.

Some of the other projects happening now are very exciting as well. I loved the steakhouse article. I also wish Gibbs would have built the project on Magazine. A friend of mine used to live in the row of condos right behind this lot on Felicity. That lot is a huge eyesore to say the least.

I'm also glad to hear the Carrollton Shopping Center development is finally moving forward. I don't mind the stores, since they will probably in some form of urban format and are badly needed in the city.

How much would the covering of the Washington Ave. canal cost? I like the idea of running LRT above the canal, but does the city have the money for this project.
Not sure about the cost but it wouldn't cost the city a dime as the closing of those draining canals come under USACE and would be a flood control project.

Not sure what the estimate was back then but it would be comparable to cost to what is underway in Algiers.

Obviously it would be an added cost to have the structure support LRT but given the dramatic and positive impact it would have on at least three really struggling neighborhoods and transforming Xavier into a somewhat urban college by making it accessible to students from the CBD to Kenner via LRT - it would be well worth the cost.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission Most Livable View Post
Obviously it would be an added cost to have the structure support LRT but given the dramatic and positive impact it would have on at least three really struggling neighborhoods and transforming Xavier into a somewhat urban college by making it accessible to students from the CBD to Kenner via LRT - it would be well worth the cost.
Where would the LRT go once it hit Broad and the pumping station? Would it leave the canal at Calliope beforehand and follow the old ROW next to Earhart down to UPT and where would it leave the canal to head towards Kenner? Palmetto and Airline?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Where would the LRT go once it hit Broad and the pumping station? Would it leave the canal at Calliope beforehand and follow the old ROW next to Earhart down to UPT and where would it leave the canal to head towards Kenner? Palmetto and Airline?
The route I would take from Amtrak would be:

Along the Amtrak lines on the north side of Earhart Bl which cross under the Broad Street overpass (well south of the pumping stations) until the 4300 block of Earhart where it would veer right and use the wide swath of the neutral ground of Calliope, crossing Jeff Davis until you would get to the Washington Av canal.

You could then follow Wash Av, crossing Carrollton where it then becomes Palmetto, until you hit Airline and then bring it down Airline until you reach the Airport.

You can zoom in and follow the route here.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 5:56 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Part of the reason this design was rejected is the surface parking... so I dont think we have up to date renderings...
Here's the leasing page. The design is exactly as I posted it. No change.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission Most Livable View Post
The route I would take from Amtrak would be:

Along the Amtrak lines on the north side of Earhart Bl which cross under the Broad Street overpass (well south of the pumping stations) until the 4300 block of Earhart where it would veer right and use the wide swath of the neutral ground of Calliope, crossing Jeff Davis until you would get to the Washington Av canal.

You could then follow Wash Av, crossing Carrollton where it then becomes Palmetto, until you hit Airline and then bring it down Airline until you reach the Airport.
I think that's an excellent route, but the line doesn't need to run in the neutral ground of Calliope, there's already tracks running parallel to Earhart that could be used to save money.

If you wanted to really save money, leave the canal alone just increase the pumping capacity (cu. water/hr) drastically, and put the tracks inside the canal to the sides. That way you leave the canal alone, and don't have to worry about touching the bridges that cross over it, and further you would have no intersections. Once you get to Airline, just utilize the tracks already running parallel to Airline and you're all set.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Correct the only change will be a starbucks since the Barnes & Noble won't be there now.

It'll be a stand alone store.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
I think that's an excellent route, but the line doesn't need to run in the neutral ground of Calliope, there's already tracks running parallel to Earhart that could be used to save money.
Those tracks parallel to Earhart beeline straight for the Calliope neutral grown when Earhart makes the curve right before Jeff Davis. It would be the easier and probably cheapest way to get the tracks to Washington.

Quote:
I that it's a simple strip mall, but based on the renderings it looks much better than some of the New Orleans architecture themed strip malls I've seen planned for Baton Rouge. I wish that they could put another big box adjacent to the I-10 itself and put a garage where the surface parking bordering Palmetto. Still better than nothing, but I'd love to see a feasible version of Perkins Rowe or something similar instead.

Last edited by Uptowner; Apr 22, 2011 at 1:30 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Those tracks parallel to Earhart beeline straight for the Calliope neutral grown when Earhart makes the curve right before Jeff Davis. It would be the easier and probably cheapest way to get the tracks to Washington.

I that it's a simple strip mall, but based on the renderings it looks much better than some of the New Orleans architecture themed strip malls I've seen planned for Baton Rouge. I wish that they could put another big box adjacent to the I-10 itself and put a garage where the surface parking bordering Palmetto. Still better than nothing, but I'd love to see a feasible version of Perkins Rowe or something similar instead.
Constructions costs for parking structures are staggering so that wasn't an option with this development. No way to make those numbers work.

I would love to see a town center development here but the location and footprint would only allow for a power center and this is by far the nicest design for a power center i've seen.

Normally they are really bland and define the ugliness of the phrase "strip mall" but they are going to put a good chunk of money into this.

The one tenant that is still up in the air I believe is the one to the right of the proposed Bonefish Grill (two lots that border on Carrollton).

They've been trying for awhile to locate a grocery there as that's the preferred tenant but haven't been successful so that one might be vacant until the center opens

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 3:06 PM
TL;DR

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about this stuff. The architecture reminds me of this...

Do you know if the developers approached Fresh Market for the grocery space? I'd love to get one of those in the city, even if it is in a power center... lol. They make the best bread, so it's totally worth it (the best, Jerry!). However, I've heard that they're legendary for being very picky about store locations.

The "Carrollton Central Plaza" needs to have some decent bike parking - not just those awful afterthought bike racks that retailers tend to throw in, where you can only lock the front wheel (I can't even do that, since I have 28-inch rims on my road bike).

At the very least, a Rolling Rack. You can't tell me there's no way to make those numbers work. A little bit more expensive are the great Where Ya' Rack racks, or the architect could put together a custom design that goes with

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 22, 2011 at 3:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 3:31 PM

Quote:
but I'd love to see a feasible version of Perkins Rowe or something similar instead.
IMO, a feasible Perkins Rowe is the French Quarter, Magazine Street, the future South Market District, etc...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 9:46 PM

Quote:
You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about this stuff. The architecture reminds me of this...

Do you know if the developers approached Fresh Market for the grocery space? I'd love to get one of those in the city, even if it is in a power center... lol. They make the best bread, so it's totally worth it (the best, Jerry!). However, I've heard that they're legendary for being very picky about store locations.

The "Carrollton Central Plaza" needs to have some decent bike parking - not just those awful afterthought bike racks that retailers tend to throw in, where you can only lock the front wheel (I can't even do that, since I have 28-inch rims on my road bike).

At the very least, a Rolling Rack. You can't tell me there's no way to make those numbers work. A little bit more expensive are the great Where Ya' Rack racks, or the architect could put together a custom design that goes with
They actually approached every grocer in the entire region including Fresh Market and some that aren't even in LA (Such as Publix) but it's not an industry that's currently expanding and is pretty risk adverse to begin with since many of them (Winn Dixie) are still in bankruptcy.

Looks like Fresh Market will be the ground floor retailer of the Hyatt so we'll have one here.

The architect and the owner of the property are both VERY progressive so I'm sure once the neighborhood meetings start back up once they get tenants those racks would be something they'd give a look at.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I can see that. Btw the design is taken from a really beautiful (for retail) power center in Destin I believe.

I'll see if I can dig it up.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 2:24 AM

Claiborne Overpass

The good news is that it looks like the idea to tear down the Claiborne Overpass isn't dead. The bad news is that the study is expected to be completed in early 2013.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...idor_stud.html

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 4:26 PM
http://djsnola.tumblr.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
The good news is that it looks like the idea to tear down the Claiborne Overpass isn't dead. The bad news is that the study is expected to be completed in early 2013.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...idor_stud.html
I support taking the overpass down but am glad that they are going to take their time and do it right. It will be a pretty massive undertaking not to mention streetcar construction on Loyola and probably Rampart by then as well as the two large hospitals. It will need to be carefully planned.

Royal Orleans Hotel ( Renovations)
Dodge Report #200800666459 v. 8

Valuation: $2,999,999
Bid Date: May 3, 2011

Streetcar Expansion Program
201000629907 v. 2
Dodge Project Report
Passenger Terminal (Other),
Railroad Bidding $2,999,999 LA (Orleans) May 23, 2011

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 24, 2011 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 4:47 PM

Does anyone have any info on the two buildings going up on the corner of Argonne and Harrison in Lakeview (not the school)? The one on the northwest corner is pretty much done and looks like a restaurant and the one on the southwest corner only has the frame up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations