HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 4:11 PM
B-MORE than u strive for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla_tiger View Post
More on the Federal City project on the West Bank.........
including website:http://www.nolafederalcity.com/map.html

Satellite (Area Highlighted in Red)

Master Plan

View From Above

Base Protection Barrier

Joint Command Headquarters

Conference Center

Coast Guard

DHS Regional Headquarters

Parking
cool project for nawlins!! keep up the great work down there!!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmg1981 View Post
Gold, Gold!!!!

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschwartz View Post

These buidlings are very ugly. I mean its like you have a three year a box of colored pencils to draw their dream home. I mean this building is horrible, and doesn't fit in with the rest of the neighborhood!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 2:06 AM
TIGERS NATIONAL CHAMPS

Chevron HQ's

Chevron opened its new headquarters building as part of its new 20-acre campus in Covington on the North Shore last month. The building is the first in the state to receive gold certification from the federal Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design. The move is from their CBD building to the suburbs.

photo courtesy nola.com

http://www.slidellsentry.com/article...2021205329.txt

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 2:33 AM

^ I realize the certification is about building/site design. But it is ironic to be given to a building for a company moving from the CBD to the suburbs. Great imapct when all is considered?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 10:24 PM
TIGERS NATIONAL CHAMPS

Audubon Insectarium

The new Audubon Insectarium recently opened in 23,000 sq feet of the old US Custom House on Canal Street near the French Quarter. It is the first major tourist attraction to open in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina.

The facility, built with $6.2 million in private donations and $20 million in public money, is one of only a few stand-alone, nonprofit insectariums.

In New Orleans, displays include spiders, centipedes and crawfish as well as ants, mosquitoes and other insectoid six-leggers. Nit-pickers might say that means it isn't an insectarium. "Arthropodarium" might be appropriate.

The Audubon Insectarium occupies the first floor of the block-size United States Custom House building, a National Historic Landmark on Canal Street near the Mississippi River. The Custom House is a tourist attraction itself because of its architecture and history.

photo courtesy 2theadvocate

The Insectarium joins 11 other popular Audubon Nature Institute attractions in New Orleans, including The Audubon Zoo, Aquarium of the Americas, Entergy IMAX® Theatre and Woldenberg Riverfront Park.

Officials expect about 350,000 visitors a year to the Insectarium.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/desti...ectarium_n.htm

http://www.auduboninstitute.org/site/PageServer

http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/con...Id=19953&noc=T

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 9:14 AM
TIGERS NATIONAL CHAMPS

City Park Great Lawn

The bench-ringed greenspace project will extend from the Peristyle to the Storyland gates

Thanks to nearly $3 million in private and federal grant dollars, City Park officials say they have the cash needed to start work on the Great Lawn, envisioned as a "commons" for New Orleans and the centerpiece of a transformed corridor to be built duringover the next several years.

City Park's master plan, scheduled to be completed by the city's 300th anniversary in 2018, calls for the swath of greenery to anchor what will be called Tricentennial Place.

http://blog.nola.com/graphics/2008/0...PARK071508.pdf

http://blog.nola.com/updates/2008/07...n_project.html

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 3:28 AM

The City Park Great Lawn looks great, except that I don't know why they have palms lining the lawn, and there seems to be too much surface parking. Even if the park needs to have all of that parking, I don't know why it has to be right next to the Great Lawn.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 3:24 PM
TIGERS NATIONAL CHAMPS

The Pontchartrain Hotel,

a storied luxury stopover on St. Charles Avenue for such luminaries as Walt Disney and Tennessee Williams, will become a residence for upper-crust retirees.

photo courtesy infrogmation:

http://blog.nola.com/tpmoney/2008/07...el_a_stor.html

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 3:40 PM
TIGERS NATIONAL CHAMPS

930 Poydras

Work has begun on a new residential tower on Poydras just south of Loyola.

Signs indicate the building design is by New Orleans firm Eskew+Dumes+Ripple, with some dynamic projects in their portfolio.

Details of the project have been "secretive" as no "official" rendering has been released, at least not publicly....Several unofficial renderings have come up on other forums, ie...UrbanPlanet and LaBusiness at HornetsReport, the most recent as shown below....

New Orleans Bloggers, although excited about another new residential tower being built in the CBD, have shown little "enthusiasm" over the designs that have been released.

link to story in TP: http://blog.nola.com/tpmoney/2008/07...ng_taking.html
E+D+R link: http://www.studioedr.com/index_flash.html

A sleek new apartment building is rising in the heart of the Central Business District, where its facade of glass and metal panels will join the office towers and hotels that dominate the downtown skyline.

Construction crews are driving pilings at the corner of Poydras and O'Keefe streets, and over the next few months they will erect a 21-story building with a parking garage on the first eight floors and 250 apartments stacked on top.

Last edited by fla_tiger; Feb 8, 2009 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 4:06 PM
Stay Classy Philadelphia

Glad to see the city is getting back to shape.
I was down there last Fall and it was still a great time.

One of my favorite cities in the world.

Love Nawlins!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 11:58 AM
TIGERS NATIONAL CHAMPS

American Can Apartments

New Orleans` newest renovation project, the American Can Company building has been transformed into apartments and has been renovated as a "certified historic rehabilitation." The project includes soho style apartments as well as one, two, and three bedroom apartment homes containing up to 1,600 square feet.
http://www.americancanapts.com/

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla_tiger View Post
930 Poydras

Work has begun on a new residential tower on Poydras just south of Loyola.

Signs indicate the building design is by New Orleans firm Eskew+Dumes+Ripple, with some dynamic projects in their portfolio.

Details of the project have been "secretive" as no "official" rendering has been released, at least not publicly....Several unofficial renderings have come up on other forums, ie...UrbanPlanet and LaBusiness at HornetsReport, the most recent as shown below....

New Orleans Bloggers, although excited about another new residential tower being built in the CBD, have shown little "enthusiasm" over the designs that has been released.

link to story in TP: http://blog.nola.com/tpmoney/2008/07...ng_taking.html
E+D+R link: http://www.studioedr.com/index_flash.html

A sleek new apartment building is rising in the heart of the Central Business District, where its facade of glass and metal panels will join the office towers and hotels that dominate the downtown skyline.

Construction crews are driving pilings at the corner of Poydras and O'Keefe streets, and over the next few months they will erect a 21-story building with a parking garage on the first eight floors and 250 apartments stacked on top.
This design is definately inaccurate. Here are some official "floor plans" of the building and they don't match the rendering whatsoever. This project is underway and they are on the second story right now :

Last edited by sguil1; Mar 16, 2009 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 8:00 PM
TL;DR

I've tried to keep track of the construction.

1/27/09

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I've tried to keep track of the construction.

1/27/09
Cool, thanks for the pic. Any updated pics would be appreciated.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 4:20 AM
TL;DR

All of my pictures are posted to Emporis (I am a photographer for them) so you can always check there. Not too many things to photograph here in New Orleans, though... I need to make it out to Mid-City to see The Preserve, and I hear there might be a loft project out in the Upper Ninth.

But of course, I'll be happy to post stuff here too. One thing I'd like to do is re-organize this thread like the Chicago Boom Rundown thread, so that the first post can be edited periodically to reflect the status of projects. Right now, I would have to read through the whole thread to find out about all the projects, and I would have no idea which projects are active and which have been canceled or postponed.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 4:27 AM

Quote:
All of my pictures are posted to Emporis (I am a photographer for them) so you can always check there. Not too many things to photograph here in New Orleans, though... I need to make it out to Mid-City to see The Preserve, and I hear there might be a loft project out in the Upper Ninth.

But of course, I'll be happy to post stuff here too. One thing I'd like to do is re-organize this thread like the Chicago Boom Rundown thread, so that the first post can be edited periodically to reflect the status of projects. Right now, I would have to read through the whole thread to find out about all the projects, and I would have no idea which projects are active and which have been canceled or postponed.
The WWII museum expansion project is about 60% finished if you'd like to get some shots of that (warehouse district). Also there are a few projects in mid-city like the Falstaff brewery appts. Hopefully the Bioinnovation Center on Canal will get underway soon, groundbreaking ceremony actually already happened but true to LSU's style there is no work going on on-site yet.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 4:35 AM

Plaza tower to be remediated. Great news!

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s..._plaza_to.html

Last edited by sguil1; Mar 16, 2009 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 7:49 AM
TL;DR

There's also the Louisiana Cancer Research Center, which looks to be an awesome building in a visible site along I-10. A recent article in Architectural Record indicated that construction should begin soon after being postponed after the storm.

As for Plaza Tower: it's about time. It's such a unique building, I've never seen anything like it even in much bigger cities. It's like De Stijl on a huge scale. Every renovation proposal has tried to completely change the design, which seems wasteful and disrespectful to me.

The WWII museum expansion just looks weird.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 9:16 PM
on the south side

Quote:
As for Plaza Tower: it's about time. It's such a unique building, I've never seen anything like it even in much bigger cities.
For some reason, this building has always intrigued me. I know it recieves lots of criticism, but not from me.

Can't wait till its occupied and renovated!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations