HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 11:55 PM

Also found this rendering of the new VA hospital. Not sure how accurate it is. It is from studio NOVA (which is a combo of nbjj, eskew/ripple/dumez, and one other firm).

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 7:08 AM

I'm one in favor of building the new hospital as Charity is impractical for a modern hosiptal. With that being said...I hate, hate, hate the sea of parking lots. If they plan on not using the land immediately, just turn it into a nice park area for the hospital workers and surrounding neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 5:29 PM

This is disappointing to hear and see.

If EDR architects have a hand in the VA hospital design...I'm afraid. The building going up next to the Energy Centre is pretty bad (although better than the blank lot that was there).

However they really need to keep in mind the pedestrian and keep cars confined to 1-2 parking decks...build up to the street and green space all that extra land if they really think they need it. C'mon...if the city is getting this...let's do it right so that 50 years from now it will be something that ages well and adds to the surrounding community.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 5:38 PM
TL;DR

^^ I like 930 Poydras...

It's not in a traditional style, but it really shouldn't be traditional, in that location.

Agreed on the other point, though. The whole central area has a huge lack of park space, and Reinventing the Crescent won't really solve that problem. Really, there's only Armstrong Park and Duncan Plaza, and Duncan Plaza is closed.

Last edited by ardecila; Aug 21, 2009 at 3:31 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 8:21 PM

Well someone at the PRC rightfully said Duncan Plaza should be the site of a new city hall built in a traditional style (and honestly it should get cleaned up to resemble a proper town common).

Lack of park space? City Park and Audubon? However parking lots are eyesores and perhaps like in Savannah they should be restricted to parking decks using traditional materials.

As far as 930 Poydras...I am generally not a fan of modern architecture in this city. It looks terrible especially on the residential level such as the Tulane: URBAN build. 930 may only work because it is where it is...but I am not convinced it will do anything for the area around it other than look like the Plaza Tower in 30 years.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^^ I like 930 Poydras...

It's not in a traditional style, but it really shouldn't be in that location.

Agreed on the other point, though. The whole central area has a huge lack of park space, and Reinventing the Crescent won't really solve that problem. Really, there's only Armstrong Park and Duncan Plaza, and Duncan Plaza is closed.
Jury is still out for 930 poydras for me. I still don't have a great idea of what the finished product will look like so i'll reserve judgment until then. The building is actually getting close to topping out, I believe they are on the 15th story or so.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 10:24 PM

Cool New Orleans Arcology Habitat

saw this on another site

30 million sq. ft., 20,000 residential units, 1,200 ft. high, 3 hotels, etc.

this thing would surely put New Orleans on the map

http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/08/17/heavenly-abode/

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 1:02 AM

Port of N.O. moves closer to having new cruise ship terminal

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/up...fm?recid=26394

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 3:46 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngirl View Post
Well someone at the PRC rightfully said Duncan Plaza should be the site of a new city hall built in a traditional style (and honestly it should get cleaned up to resemble a proper town common).

Lack of park space? City Park and Audubon? However parking lots are eyesores and perhaps like in Savannah they should be restricted to parking decks using traditional materials.

As far as 930 Poydras...I am generally not a fan of modern architecture in this city. It looks terrible especially on the residential level such as the Tulane: URBAN build. 930 may only work because it is where it is...but I am not convinced it will do anything for the area around it other than look like the Plaza Tower in 30 years.
We already HAVE a City Hall built in a traditional style: Gallier Hall. Together with 550 Carondelet behind it, there is enough space to house city bureaucracy. If they need more, there is a surface lot right next door on Carondelet. Right now, it's just used as convention and banquet space; IMO a wasteful use of a beautiful building in a place that is the historic seat of government, and is still home to large numbers of state and federal employees. THIS should be City Hall's replacement, not Chevron or any new building.

Re: the park space... neither City Park nor Audubon Park are anywhere NEAR the central area. Savannah (where I am right now, incidentally) was planned with a regular pattern of landscaped squares, and Forsyth Park within walking distance of downtown. New Orleans needs a good downtown park... although City Hall definitely has redevelopment potential, I wouldn't mind seeing it torn down and combined with Duncan Plaza into a sizable, modern, and pleasant downtown park (probably requires a park patrol to keep out the homeless).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 3:58 AM
http://djsnola.tumblr.com

I agree that Lafayette Square is too small. However, it also appears the convention center is going to go full head using their land for many festivals. They have two planned in the next few weeks.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 4:04 AM
http://djsnola.tumblr.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Port of N.O. moves closer to having new cruise ship terminal

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/up...fm?recid=26394
I jog by the Julia terminal now and its in need of an upgrade. the erato terminal is so much nicer. Also, i think its time to bulldoze the Riverwalk. Malls like that died in the 90s!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 2:09 AM

State is making plans to preserve Charity Hospital building...

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2..._to_prese.html

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 4:58 AM
New Orleanian for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngirl View Post
Well someone at the PRC rightfully said Duncan Plaza should be the site of a new city hall built in a traditional style.

New Orleans really should embrace modern architecture more readily. Re-creation of old "traditional" styles shows how parochial the city can be, which is but one reason why the city has not thrived. We refuse to embrace change.

Several buildings over the past few years have been built to look "traditional." One particular disaster that comes to mind is he Astor Crown Plaza, which is extremely cheap. The former Holiday Inn Select in the Warehouse District is another.

However, mixing elements of traditional with modern could work. It has worked with many buildings on Tulane's campus. It's also with a hotel in the warehouse district. (I believe it's the Residence Inn.)

Now, as for Charity. I respect everyone's opinion, but I don't think we need a new Charity. The old Charity has space for a thousand beds, could be completely gutted and refitted. We don't even need 400 inpatient beds. Perhaps a 240 bed hospital would be enough, plus state of the art laboratory, outpatient, and research areas.

Alternately, tear down he VA, and build the new Charity there. Then, move the new VA to the new Charity location, which will keep the area compact.

Just my thoughts!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 5:17 PM

Well I am very much a traditionalist in my way of thinking. And I'm not from New Orleans (I'm from Atlanta and 90% of Atlanta's architecture is bland and uninteresting). After all I find River Garden a better example than most (although I find the mixture of styles a tad hokey).

However here is a shot from 3-4 weeks ago of the new building on Poydras taken from the Energy Centre...

Although this might be overstating things if the historic properties in distress were rehabbed and put back into commerce. I was driving around Esplanade Ridge last night and the home between the Bayou St. John and Broad Street is better maintained than most homes Uptown (and I'm talking the shotguns and low to mid range homes).

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 6:12 PM

nice picture. Thanks for the update.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 8:56 PM

Building a new city hall in Duncan Plaza I think is a great idea, either that or moving it back to Gallier Hall. Either way, I'm a fan of traditional architecture for government buildings. Modern is ok for like an office building for government agencies, but something about the seat of a government I think should look stately and traditional. Modern styles in my opinion do not look stately. Neither does the Chevron building, so I'm glad that plan didn't go through. But I think the best place for a new city hall would be where the Iberville projects are at. It's right next to the French Quarter and the CBD, along three prominent streets, and surrounded by historical areas and the theaters, plus Ibervile would be gone, and it's bringing down the entire area.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 6:15 AM

Nice shot of 930 Poydras Uptowngirl. Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 12:40 AM

Tulane and LSU close to an agreement on new hospital governance...

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._hospital.html

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 9:41 PM

More promising news for Saenger Theatre...

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/up...fm?recid=26514

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 9:49 PM
TL;DR

Sweet. I assume the "four-story building" is in fact the facade building on the theater space. I didn't know the front building and theater had separate ownership... but it looks like they have the same owner now.

I had heard the upper stories were/are transient apartments, SRO-type rooms. I wonder what will happen to them? Regardless of your feelings on the homeless/transient population, it's essential to provide some form of low-cost housing so that they aren't out on the streets, driving away tourists and theater-goers. Chicago has several of them near the downtown area, and they definitely improve the homeless situation.

Seattle recently built a "drunk house" where winos can go and drink to their hearts' content, without bothering people on the street. It actually saves money for the Seattle Police, who don't have to arrest and process these people on a regular basis anymore.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations