HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 4:53 AM

Here are some photos and a map of all of the Airports current planned projects.

Concourse D Expansion

West Terminal Annex (rumored to be new home of Southwest)

Consolidated Car Rental Center

Terminal exterior improvements

Check-In lobby improvements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 2:38 AM
http://djsnola.tumblr.com

This proposal sounds like the renovation of one of the highrises downtown. Not many buildings that can hold 200 units. Anyone have any other information?

http://www.bidclerk.com/project.1392614.html

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 5:05 AM

Rault Center maybe?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 7:07 AM
TL;DR

When was the last time we saw something on Bidclerk actually get built? It's really just used for basic cost estimates at an early phase of planning, so a developer has a rough idea of what size loan he needs.

My initial thought was that this is for the UNO building at Canal and S. Robertson, but that's not really big enough for 200 units.

Plaza Tower, maybe?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 12:50 AM

Actually quite a few things on there get built. The Trump Tower and some of the others were the main ones that never got built. However it seems every apartment proposal has eventually gotten built.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 5:08 AM
TL;DR

I've been pretty surprised at how much pent-up demand there is for downtown apartments. Apparently 930 Poydras is already completely leased, and has been for awhile now. That makes me optimistic for Maritime and Saratoga.

I really wish the city could set up some incentives to renovate the upper floors of the retail buildings along Canal and rent them as apartments.

In other news, the BioInnovation Center and the Cancer Research Center are both looking really good. I can't wait to check them out once they open.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 4:38 PM

I think the future of Downtown nola is bright. I think there is demand for apartments there but dont think all are created equal. 930 poydras hit a homerun. They have a combination of good location, easy/safe parking, accept all size dogs and have the safety and security of a building instead of a walk up. Thats a lot to like.

The success of the Maritime will be telling. I dont think the location is as good. Parking is an issue and they dont allow pets, no pool, no gym. At the same price point as 930...

Moving to NOLA in january after an internship here this summer. I loved it and cant wait to get back! also if you here of a good apartment or rental that takes large behaved dogs let me know!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 4:54 PM

I think the Maritime is a great location and beautiful building and will do fine. Not so sure about the Saratoga, though. Not the best location. Who knows, though.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 3:02 AM

''I really wish the city could set up some incentives to renovate the upper floors of the retail buildings along Canal and rent them as apartments.''

This has been taking into consideration already.

http://www.neworleansdowntown.com/th...pters_4b_5.pdf

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 3:13 AM

I wonder if the apartment project is for the old Hibernia Bank building. I remember reading that HRI is planning to renovate the building into apartments now that Capital One is over in Place St. Charles. It's a very large building, so it seems feasible to me.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
I think the future of Downtown nola is bright. I think there is demand for apartments there but dont think all are created equal. 930 poydras hit a homerun. They have a combination of good location, easy/safe parking, accept all size dogs and have the safety and security of a building instead of a walk up. Thats a lot to like.

The success of the Maritime will be telling. I dont think the location is as good. Parking is an issue and they dont allow pets, no pool, no gym. At the same price point as 930...

Moving to NOLA in january after an internship here this summer. I loved it and cant wait to get back! also if you here of a good apartment or rental that takes large behaved dogs let me know!
pretty sure the Maritime has a rooftop pool and the units are a bit larger than 930.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
I wonder if the apartment project is for the old Hibernia Bank building. I remember reading that HRI is planning to renovate the building into apartments now that Capital One is over in Place St. Charles. It's a very large building, so it seems feasible to me.
Whatever happens to that building I hope its something special because it could be phenomenal if done right. A hotel/apartment hybrid would be ideal I think.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 9:37 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanwatcher View Post
''I really wish the city could set up some incentives to renovate the upper floors of the retail buildings along Canal and rent them as apartments.''

This has been taking into consideration already.

http://www.neworleansdowntown.com/th...pters_4b_5.pdf
Yes, I've read that before. But that's not an incentive program - it's not even an RFP. It's just a feasibility study with some nice watercolors. I want to see the city being proactive about development instead of the very, very passive role it's taking now. Especially now, with a great need for more tax revenue, new development is greatly needed all over the city. Cities across the country are having budget problems, but very few of them are attempting to run a 500,000-person city with the tax revenues from a 300,000-person city.

We've got the tools to really bring in new development - a streetcar line bringing rail service to a very under-developed part of downtown, a stadium that's nearly brand-new with all the renovations, two massive hospitals on the way, and the possibility of the ugly Claiborne viaduct coming down. But development will not come unless the city jumps in and gets its hands dirty luring developers and helping them get through approvals.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 6:08 AM

Yes i agree,the city really needs to continue with development on all fronts.I actually think New Orleans might be a different city ten years from now.The new hospitals are going to help in the largest way possible.I have the feeling that once they are built,a wave of gentrification will develop from canal all the way to St Benard ave.I already know of people buying houses in anticipation of renewal.As a former resident of the Tulane Galvez area,i have no problems with this.If a neighborhood and the housing stock is not being taking care of,i think it's more than fair if people want to take it back from blight.I've always had mixed feelings on urban renewal but in recent years i started thinking about it more pragmatically.I think this city if any can strike a balance between local culture and mainstream economic necessities.We can be a competitive city without losing our soul.Part of that is offering what few cities have,linear urban integrity.It use too be that there were only pockets outside of uptown that maintained any sense of modern living.Now one can travel from uptown to the bywater with a maintained feeling of a common social.North claiborne being redeveloped with the removal of the projects and possibly the interstate may work in favor of this.The last few post have implied this as well in the idea of making downtown more and more residential.It gives me hope Seeing the transformation of NYC from the hell hole that it was into what it is today.It faced worse problems not to long ago and came out of it.I know it's not the same situation but again it gives me hope.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 4:39 AM

Your point of lack of tax revenues could probably be expanded further. I think the city's maximum population was over 650,000 in either 1967 or 1968, and has been decreasing ever since. So it is attempting to run an infrastructure built for that size population with only a 300,000 to 350,000 person city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yes, I've read that before. But that's not an incentive program - it's not even an RFP. It's just a feasibility study with some nice watercolors. I want to see the city being proactive about development instead of the very, very passive role it's taking now. Especially now, with a great need for more tax revenue, new development is greatly needed all over the city. Cities across the country are having budget problems, but very few of them are attempting to run a 500,000-person city with the tax revenues from a 300,000-person city.

We've got the tools to really bring in new development - a streetcar line bringing rail service to a very under-developed part of downtown, a stadium that's nearly brand-new with all the renovations, two massive hospitals on the way, and the possibility of the ugly Claiborne viaduct coming down. But development will not come unless the city jumps in and gets its hands dirty luring developers and helping them get through approvals.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 3:58 PM

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...mplex_the.html

More rumblings/news about Iberville. Seems a little grandiose to think that major retail chains are dying to move in. I would prefer an idea that redeveloped (or just removed) the housing, and allowed some room for creativity of the market, not planning by committee.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 5:40 PM

From same article...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 8:42 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...mplex_the.html

More rumblings/news about Iberville. Seems a little grandiose to think that major retail chains are dying to move in. I would prefer an idea that redeveloped (or just removed) the housing, and allowed some room for creativity of the market, not planning by committee.
Yeah, it does seem a little surreal. And how will this work with/compete with the proposed development around the Power Plant, which also envisions big-box stores and national chains? Can the downtown market absorb both projects?

In other news, the Rice Mill Lofts in the Bywater seems to be well into construction. I think they've scaled back from the ambitious design shown on Wayne Troyer's website, though.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 10:49 PM

''Also, she noted that the Regional Transit Authority has set its sights on a St. Claude Avenue streetcar and is trying to secure its share of financing for the corridor in order to vie for a federal grant that would cover the rest.''
From recent article

Has anyone heard about this?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 1:07 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanwatcher View Post
''Also, she noted that the Regional Transit Authority has set its sights on a St. Claude Avenue streetcar and is trying to secure its share of financing for the corridor in order to vie for a federal grant that would cover the rest.''
From recent article

Has anyone heard about this?
Yeah, it's supposed to go down Rampart/St Claude to Press, then back down St. Claude to Elysian Fields and around the Quarter. That's Phase II of the project... phase I (Canal to the UPT via Loyola) was funded in the first round of TIGER, and NORTA applied for a TIGER II grant for the second phase. They didn't receive the grant, though, so they'll probably have to submit a request through the regular New Starts process.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations