HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 1:09 AM

Indeed.
This was all supposed to go out on Harrisville Blvd, which was purpose built for all this. Proper zoning from the get go and everything.
Now it's in my backyard instead.
I'll be so much happier on five acres of land out in the woods. I need to convince the Mrs. She is halfway there. Me, I could go tomorrow. This developent isn't the only reason for wanting to get out of Dodge, it's merely the latest reason.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 1:06 PM

Has anyone else used the dogbone on Harrisville/Dieppe blvd yet? I feel like it is messed up someone, particularly if you are coming from Dieppe trying to get on 15 heading towards Moncton, the signs show you should be on the left lane, which is the right way, but then when you get to the loop it changes to the right lane and it is the only one exiting onto the ramp. I can see this is going to cause issues as people coming on from Harrisville won't be expecting people in the left lane to be exiting there, when if the circle was create properly they would be. Also, the arrows on the road drive me nuts, they mark as continuing on the dogbone as an exit, but I guess not everyone understands that the dogbone is a "straight" road and everything off of it is an exit, I guess that is why no one uses turn signals either.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 1:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
I feel like it is messed up someone, particularly if you are coming from Dieppe trying to get on 15 heading towards Moncton, the signs show you should be on the left lane, which is the right way, but then when you get to the loop it changes to the right lane and it is the only one exiting onto the ramp.
That screwed me up last night too. I had to make a last second lane change to exit the roundabout westbound on rte 15.

Luckily it wasn't busy, but I could definitely see problems here for people not familiar with the roundabout.

I will withhold final judgment until I have transited the roundabout a couple more times, as I imagine it will become more intuitive with familiarity. This however tends to be a problem with all roundabouts - they all have their own particular quirks and idiosyncrasies that locals eventually adapt to, but wayward visitors can find hazardous........

In general I hate multilane roundabouts for this reason. Single lane roundabouts tend to work quite well.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 4:05 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Glad I'm not the only one who got tripped up by exiting left onto the 15 toward Moncton.

By and large, things seem to work pretty well. I haven't experienced what it's like going across with a truck and full-length trailer in the other lane though. The circles at either end seem a bit on the tight side.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who got tripped up by exiting left onto the 15 toward Moncton.

By and large, things seem to work pretty well. I haven't experienced what it's like going across with a truck and full-length trailer in the other lane though. The circles at either end seem a bit on the tight side.
I've been on it with a truck, once where the truck was in the left lane and once where it was in the right lane. I didn't experience any issues, if everyone is going the posted limit for the circle (30km/h) it isn't a problem, also being aware that the truck might need a little room helps too.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 1:55 PM

I find it interesting with all the traffic circles being built that they didn't put one on Elmwood encompassing Caledonia Rd, Granite Dr. and the ramps for the TCH. I guess it would be a cost/space issue.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
I find it interesting with all the traffic circles being built that they didn't put one on Elmwood encompassing Caledonia Rd, Granite Dr. and the ramps for the TCH. I guess it would be a cost/space issue.
Add Accessibility for Trucks.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a new render for the Harrisville Complex (off of Shediac Rd, near Harrisville Blvd). This is listed as "phase one".

Previous render:

Obviously "phase two" will be an expansion of the building to the left. Also, the "pharmacy" from the previous render has been replaced with an unmarked CRU with a terrace with tables and chairs. Presumably they are now attempting to attract a restaurant or coffee shop.

Current status:

All images are from the Harrisville Complex Facebook page.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 6:20 PM

City of Moncton traffic staff were working between Hennessey and Granite today, looking at the traffic lights. Presumably they are trying to ease congestion at that spot, but it's just my guess. If so, kudos!
Traffic was so backed up at 2 pm today on the east bound offramp at the TCH that you could not even turn right down Elmwood unless some kind soul let you in, and there are fewer such kind souls each day as the situation deteriorates. You had to wait through several green light cycles to turn left towards Granite while the lineup backed on to the TCH. Often no more than one or two cars managed to turn left north on Elmwood, as the intersection was totally blocked with cars.
Lo and behold, according to a friend who went to Costco, the gas bar was closed for reasons unknown. Maybe out of gas? Just a guess. So many drivers made the trip for nothing.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Here's a new render for the Harrisville Complex (off of Shediac Rd, near Harrisville Blvd). This is listed as "phase one".

Previous render:

Obviously "phase two" will be an expansion of the building to the left. Also, the "pharmacy" from the previous render has been replaced with an unmarked CRU with a terrace with tables and chairs. Presumably they are now attempting to attract a restaurant or coffee shop.

Current status:

All images are from the Harrisville Complex Facebook page.
The render looks different the windows look cheaper then the previous render. I do hope it's not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
City of Moncton traffic staff were working between Hennessey and Granite today, looking at the traffic lights. Presumably they are trying to ease congestion at that spot, but it's just my guess. If so, kudos!
Traffic was so backed up at 2 pm today on the east bound off ramp at the TCH that you could not even turn right down Elmwood unless some kind soul let you in, and there are fewer such kind souls each day as the situation deteriorates. You had to wait through several green light cycles to turn left towards Granite while the lineup backed on to the TCH. Often no more than one or two cars managed to turn left north on Elmwood, as the intersection was totally blocked with cars.
Lo and behold, according to a friend who went to Costco, the gas bar was closed for reasons unknown. Maybe out of gas? Just a guess. So many drivers made the trip for nothing.
I watched a guy get pulled over, and from the language he used he was ticketed for blocking the intersection, and it does not seem to be a small fine from the language that followed. The city, and citizens seemed to have pointed out there are 2 ways into the Granite Drive area McLaughlin, and Elmwood. They might be putting up new signage, and I seen a few cops parked near the intersection While driving back into Moncton from Irishtown. 2 got caught failure to yield. Note to drivers it is a ticket able offence even if your are turning right on red. But other then the ass hat who chose to block the intersection, and the 2 failure to yield I din't see many problems.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Traffic was so backed up at 2 pm today on the east bound offramp at the TCH that you could not even turn right down Elmwood unless some kind soul let you in, and there are fewer such kind souls each day as the situation deteriorates. You had to wait through several green light cycles to turn left towards Granite while the lineup backed on to the TCH. Often no more than one or two cars managed to turn left north on Elmwood, as the intersection was totally blocked with cars.
I filled my car on Wednesday at Costco and there was a bucket truck there doing something to the awning. I then filled my truck at Costco yesterday (at 97.9 c/L, BTW). There were a couple of closed pumps at that time, and I overheard one of the staff talking about some repair company being on its way. Maybe it's equipment failure. They're probably still working the bugs out.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 8:37 AM

hopefully the harrisville complex will bring some new development in the area. high traffic but except this project and kent, nothing else has happened.

does anybody know of planned projects in that area?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 3:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny2727 View Post
hopefully the harrisville complex will bring some new development in the area. high traffic but except this project and kent, nothing else has happened.

does anybody know of planned projects in that area?
Harrisville Blvd began as a project to give the Caledonia Industrial Park direct access to the TCH, and as a connector to the Dieppe Industrial Park. It (and Dieppe Blvd) subsequently developed a second role as the principle cross town connector in the east end of the metro area.

While Dieppe always had grand plans for Dieppe Blvd, the city of Moncton did not reciprocate similarly with Harrisville Blvd. It remains a relatively narrow two lane connector road.

This changed a bit with the bidding wars over the new location for the Costco store. Harrisville Blvd was a strong contender with Mapleton Crossing (phase 2) and the Granite Centre in landing this retail prize. The possibility of Costco going to Harrisville Blvd likely influenced the decision to build a new Kent store, and the Fairfield Inn by Marriott, as well as perhaps the new dogbone roundabout at Highway 15.

With Costco ultimately choosing the Granite Centre a chill has descended on any further development plans along Harrisville Blvd. This could last quite a while. There are some big players who own substantial land in the area (including Corey Craig and Plaza Retail REIT), but without an anchor (beyond Costco), I don't see anything substantive on the horizon.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Harrisville Blvd began as a project to give the Caledonia Industrial Park direct access to the TCH, and as a connector to the Dieppe Industrial Park. It (and Dieppe Blvd) subsequently developed a second role as the principle cross town connector in the east end of the metro area.

While Dieppe always had grand plans for Dieppe Blvd, the city of Moncton did not reciprocate similarly with Harrisville Blvd. It remains a relatively narrow two lane connector road.

This changed a bit with the bidding wars over the new location for the Costco store. Harrisville Blvd was a strong contender with Mapleton Crossing (phase 2) and the Granite Centre in landing this retail prize. The possibility of Costco going to Harrisville Blvd likely influenced the decision to build a new Kent store, and the Fairfield Inn by Marriott, as well as perhaps the new dogbone roundabout at Highway 15.

With Costco ultimately choosing the Granite Centre a chill has descended on any further development plans along Harrisville Blvd. This could last quite a while. There are some big players who own substantial land in the area (including Corey Craig and Plaza Retail REIT), but without an anchor (beyond Costco), I don't see anything substantive on the horizon.
Both the Corey Craig group, and Plaza Retail REIT did have development plans. But there are several Companies who canceled plans to build in the Harisville Area. There had been several mixed use plans that would have turned it into a second Mixed shopping/residential area.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 3:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently the Shell station on Harrisville Blvd within the Caledonia Industrial Park is undergoing an expansion to turn it into a proper truck stop (including amenities for the truckers like showers and a rest and work area in the building).

I wonder if they are proceeding with this because Irving has apparently cancelled plans for a Big Stop on Elmwood at the TCH?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 10:12 PM

Hmmm, I was there earlier in the week and the attendant said the expansion was for a Wendy's Express.
Of course, that does not preclude it also containing some truckers' amenities as well. The person never mentioned that, but then again, I didn't ask that specific question.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 11:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Hmmm, I was there earlier in the week and the attendant said the expansion was for a Wendy's Express.
Of course, that does not preclude it also containing some truckers' amenities as well. The person never mentioned that, but then again, I didn't ask that specific question.
A poster on another site also mentioned Wendy’s, so this now seems probable, but I believe the expansion is also intended to make the location into a true truck stop as I mentioned above.

The two could coexist. For example, when they renovated the Big Stop in Salisbury a few years ago, they included a Subway as well as upgrading the truckers area.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 11:22 PM

Absolutely.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 10:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This small five unit apartment building with a ground floor convenience store is proposed for the NE corner of Donald and Curry in the Sunny Brae neighbourhood.

Very quiet January PAC agenda for the city...........

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:14 AM

That is the corner where a person died in a house fire.

The building that burned down was also a small apartment building with a convenience store.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces