HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 4:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
As far as NHL taking a hit on Manitoban's pocket book, that's probably true, once Jets hockey team have milked every Winnipeg man, women & child of their disposable income, there probably isn't much money left to go towards other forms of entertainment like concerts at MTS.
Haha man you really don't have a clue

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 2:57 PM

^ Even with the Jets milking us of our disposable income, we still manage to have more arena concerts according to roccerfeller's numbers?!

But on that note, why would it be better to have Thomas Rhett milking us of our disposable income instead of a Stanley Cup-contending hockey team?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 7:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Even with the Jets milking us of our disposable income, we still manage to have more arena concerts according to roccerfeller's numbers?!

But on that note, why would it be better to have Thomas Rhett milking us of our disposable income instead of a Stanley Cup-contending hockey team?
Because Saskatchewan (and its voters) can do no wrong, obviously.

I obviously get supporting your own province, especially if you're happy about living there. It's just tiring when that's all one can talk about - kind of like the people (usually at work) who won't shut up about their kids and all the great things their kids did, especially when the conversation at hand doesn't revolve around that topic.

The second part that burns me is the sneering at other provinces. A legitimate discussion about replacing an arena (especially one that doesn't seem in dire need of replacing) is a interesting topic of discussion. When it becomes a pissing match of 'whataboutism' to take other provinces down a notch, it is annoying.

It's like tourists who go to a foreign country and won't shut up about their homeland and why it's the greatest place (some Canadians are notorious for this). Why did you bother travelling if not to experience something different and learn something new?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 8:31 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I obviously get supporting your own province, especially if you're happy about living there. It's just tiring when that's all one can talk about - kind of like the people (usually at work) who won't shut up about their kids and all the great things their kids did, especially when the conversation at hand doesn't revolve around that topic.
It also... mostly doesn't matter. Winnipeg has bigger and smaller cities around it. I'm not sure Winnipeg would be significantly different if a city 8 hours away had 100,000 people or 2 million people. What concerts go there, or how amazing the sports infrastructure there is makes little difference.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 1:05 AM
ハルウララ

NHL looking at Regina to potentially host outdoor game

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-outdoor-game/

This goes along with news from September that the NHL was speaking internally about an outdoor game in Columbus.

The NHL has been moving Winter Classic games outside of NHL cities in an attempt to garner more interest outside of NHL cities (this year's Classic is at Notre Dame between Chicago & Boston) so having a game in Regina makes logical sense. Alternatively, a Heritage Classic between Winnipeg and Calgary/Edmonton would also work.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 1:28 AM

^ If it happens, I expect that it will be some money losing Sunbelt team vs. the Oilers, Leafs, Flames or Habs.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 2:27 PM

Quote:

as pointed out earlier, as nice of a guy roccerfeller seems to be, his numbers are incorrect & data he used by pollster is incomplete, saying attendance at a venue in Saskatoon for a full year is less than an actual documented attendance figure for even just one weekend in that same year is illogical, no matter how much we want it to be true. I hope this discussion helps by adding at least one more thing to the 4 or five other corrected things roccerfeller knows or has heard about Saskatoon already, then we can say we've increased his knowledge of Sask a fair bit.

Quote:
originally posted by esquire
^ If it happens, I expect that it will be some money losing Sunbelt team vs. the Oilers, Leafs, Flames or Habs.
Winter Classic at Mosaic would be more popular if it were played by the NHL teams that have at least 2 or 3 Saskatchewan players like St Louis Blues, Anaheim Ducks, Washington Capitals, Chicago Blackhawks, Minnesota Wild, Arizona Coyotoes etc.

Since Saskatchewan has already adopted Vegas Golden Knights as Provincial team earlier this year, having a Stanley Cup Finals team like them & the Capitals, having goalie from Sask... or the Ducks with Getzlaf as captain in his home city... would be one of the most popular match ups for Mosaic Stadium in Regina.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 7:42 PM

Quote:
If the game is going to be marketed as the Heritage Classic, I think it would be between two Canadian teams. Fortunately, the Senators are basically the Canadian equivalent of a Sunbelt team at the moment (or is it the other way around) so I could see it being a Senators home game versus either the Jets or Flames.

I think the ultimate choice of opponent will depend on the competitiveness of the team. I don't think a game between two uncompetitive teams would sell out. Saskatchewan has learned its lesson from the NHL's annual preseason game in Saskatoon and people here won't pay inflated ticket prices to watch bad hockey, especially if it's going to be outdoors in mid-January.

Quote:
Since Saskatchewan has already adopted Vegas Golden Knights as Provincial team earlier this year, having a Stanley Cup Finals team like them & the Capitals, having goalie from Sask... or the Ducks with Getzlaf as captain in his home city... would be one of the most popular match ups for Mosaic Stadium in Regina.
I personally find those videos to be cringey as hell, but I do like the attempt to get the Knights to make some overtures to Saskatchewan (that said, I doubt they'd be involved in the game). I find it strange that neither the Oilers, Flames or Jets do a lot of outreach here, although it's probably not economically-viable for them.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 10:00 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
If the game is going to be marketed as the Heritage Classic, I think it would be between two Canadian teams. Fortunately, the Senators are basically the Canadian equivalent of a Sunbelt team at the moment (or is it the other way around) so I could see it being a Senators home game versus either the Jets or Flames.
It doesn't really matter who the home team is but if Winnipeg plays in Regina I guess they're the de facto home team? I have a hard time imagining a Winnipeg v one of the Alberta teams not going over well. Ottawa already got looped into a Heritage Classic in Vancouver along with hosting duties for the NHL100 outdoor game. Winnipeg v Edmonton in Regina would probably go over well, IMO.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post

I think the ultimate choice of opponent will depend on the competitiveness of the team. I don't think a game between two uncompetitive teams would sell out. Saskatchewan has learned its lesson from the NHL's annual preseason game in Saskatoon and people here won't pay inflated ticket prices to watch bad hockey, especially if it's going to be outdoors mid-January
Competitive Canadian team is a bit of a misnomer, plus getting teams with some sort of Saskatchewan connection, like Anaheim & Capitals, or Blackhawks & St Louis, Minnesota & Coyotes etc. If Saskatchewan residence want to see Flames, Oilers or Jets badly enough they'd just drive to a game once in a while. The only benefit to having an Alberta team & Winnipeg play in Regina would be to increase Tourism Regina numbers.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It doesn't really matter who the home team is but if Winnipeg plays in Regina I guess they're the de facto home team? I have a hard time imagining a Winnipeg v one of the Alberta teams not going over well. Ottawa already got looped into a Heritage Classic in Vancouver along with hosting duties for the NHL100 outdoor game. Winnipeg v Edmonton in Regina would probably go over well, IMO.
Maybe not to the fans, but it would determine which team gives up a home game and (presumably) would get a bigger piece of the revenues. I think a team like Arizona or Ottawa would be more willing to give up a home date than Winnipeg, although in practicality the Jets would be the home team.

Quote:
Competitive Canadian team is a bit of a misnomer, plus getting teams with some sort of Saskatchewan connection, like Anaheim & Capitals, or Blackhawks & St Louis, Minnesota & Coyotes etc. If Saskatchewan residence want to see Flames, Oilers or Jets badly enough they'd just drive to a game once in a while. The only benefit to having an Alberta team & Winnipeg play in Regina would be to increase Tourism Regina numbers.
I don't think there is a way the NHL would schedule an outdoor game in Canada without including Canadian teams. The only way an American team would participate is if its a Sunbelt team giving up a home game.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 3:02 AM

After 2026 Olympic bid shut down, Calgary must figure out how to modernize aging sports facilities
Donna Spencer, Canadian Press November 19, 2018

Calgary must now come to grips with how to modernize its aging sports facilities after rejecting a bid to host the 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympic Games.

City council hammered the final nail in the coffin of a 2026 Games bid with a unanimous vote to scuttle it Monday.

The decision comes on the heels of a non-binding plebiscite, in which 56 per cent of those who went to the polls voted ‘no’ to bidding for the games.

Calgary was the host city of the 1988 Winter Olympics. The venues from those games, the majority of which are still used by recreational and high-performance athletes three decades later, were the foundation of another potential bid.

They’re also a driving force behind Canada’s performances at Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games. Canada won a record 29 Olympic medals, including 11 gold, and another 28 Paralympic medals in Pyeongchang, South Korea, earlier this year.

But without the almost $2.2 billion in provincial and federal money tied to Calgary pursuing and winning a bid for 2026, the task of bringing the city’s major sports facilities into this century en masse is a mammoth, expensive undertaking.

McMahon Stadium, almost 60 years old, was the site of the opening and closing ceremonies in 1988 and is the home of the CFL’s Stampeders. The Saddledome, built in 1983 for both the NHL’s Flames and the Winter Games, is 35 years old.

While a new stadium and new NHL arena weren’t in the proposed draft plan for 2026, upgrades to both were.

An indoor sport fieldhouse, which has been on Calgary’s books as a recreational need for over a decade, was also in the 2026 plan.

“I was at the football game yesterday,” Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi said Monday. “I continue to think that McMahon is a great place to watch a football game once you’re in your seat. Getting to your seat, kind of miserable.

“This had been our plan to really re-do McMahon and make that a beautiful venue for future generations. There’s seven other venues within the city of Calgary that need that kind of rejuvenation.”

Nenshi estimated between $600 million and $700 million would be needed to both build a fieldhouse and match the investment into the ’88 legacies proposed in a 2026 bid.

“It’s going to be important to really start on that strategy now,” the mayor said. “It’s also important to recognize that we are in an environment where we are more capital-constrained than we ever have been since I’ve been in this job, meaning that council and myself and citizens are going to have to temper our expectations.”

A 2026 cost-sharing agreement between the federal, provincial and municipal governments wasn’t finalized until Oct. 31, which was less than two weeks prior to the plebiscite.

The bid corporation Calgary 2026 estimated the total cost of hosting the games at $5.1 billion. The bidco asked for a $2.875 billion contribution split between the city, provincial and federal governments.

The Alberta government committed $700 million and the Canadian government $1.45 billion. The city was asked to contribute $390 million.

There was discussion inside and outside of chambers Monday as to whether the provincial and federal governments would still contribute money to Calgary’s sport infrastructure needs, now that a Winter Olympics is off the table.

“Do our government partners agree with the desperate need to work on these facilities, most of which they built, and rejuvenate them? I think they do,” Nenshi said.

“But I think we’ve got to figure out a plan that makes sense for them and for us, understanding that we have no choice but to do this stuff.”

Calgary’s vintage sports facilities are not going to get special budgetary treatment, Alberta Premier Rachel Notley said.

“The process by which we suggested we would commit the money that we did for the Olympics was around the Olympics,” Notley said in Edmonton.

“The prioritization of additional funding requests from the city of Calgary for a range of projects will go through the normal process.”

Concordia economics professor Moshe Lander said Calgarians weren’t buying what he believes was a flawed economic argument for hosting another Winter Games when they voted ‘no’ in the plebiscite.

But renewing and sustaining Calgary’s facilities from the ’88 Games shouldn’t be an Olympics-or-bust proposition, he added.

“The city should still be able to make those arguments to the federal and provincial governments for whatever infrastructure projects they want and say ‘these are still good projects. We just don’t have the Olympics as the impetus to make it happen right now,”’ Mosher explained.

“That allows them to prioritize a little better rather than try and jumble everything up. They can now figure out what is the most pressing need and make that argument directly to the province and feds.”

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 10:48 PM

Growing cities can’t be timid, Halifax mayor tells chamber of commerce
Keith Doucette, Canadian Press November 22, 2018

Halifax Mayor Mike Savage says cities with an intent to grow need to shed timidity and understand that the biggest cause of failure is often risk aversion.

In his annual state-of-the-municipality speech Thursday, Savage told the Halifax Chamber of Commerce that “more can be lost by avoiding opportunity than by falling short of ambitious goals.”

“And I believe this leads not only to stronger economic development but to stronger social development as a city as well.”

According to Statistics Canada figures, the city’s population grew by about 15,000 people over the past two years, Savage said. But he said a look inside those numbers reveals his favourite statistic.

“Greater than half of our net population growth is in the 25 to 39-year-old category, the prime age for establishing businesses, careers and families.”

One potentially contentious issue that Savage avoided in his speech was the push for a new stadium from the business group hoping to land a CFL franchise.

Savage was later asked by reporters about the omission in a speech that cautioned against risk aversion.

He said he left the issue out because the city doesn’t know yet what kind of opportunity exists.

“It could be an opportunity but we don’t know because we haven’t seen the numbers,” said Savage.

“What is good about it is that for the first time ever a private sector led organization is prepared to put some of their own money into building a stadium for us … but we have to decide whether it’s the right thing or not.”

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 7:01 PM

We had an NCC update on the LeBreton file and it is not looking good. The NCC and City are essentially ready to proceed, but conflict within the private consortium is holding it back. The NCC has now given them 2 months to get their act together, or they pull the plug.

https://obj.ca/article/ncc-gives-dys...r-die-deadline

And now apparently, the Sens owner is suing his partner in the LeBreton deal, John Ruddy, for $700 million over the "failed" LeBreton bid. The main reason is conflict of interest over a nearby development.

https://www.tsn.ca/melnyk-sues-partn...-bid-1.1214708

So, I guess the Ottawa's downtown arena dreams are essentially dead because the owner's a freakin' nutcase.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 7:38 PM

^ It seems as though the owner is really dragging the Sens down. Any chance that he might sell to someone so the team can start over with a blank slate?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 7:50 PM

Quote:
^ It seems as though the owner is really dragging the Sens down. Any chance that he might sell to someone so the team can start over with a blank slate?
Doesn't seem like it. The self-destructive idiot will drag the team down with him. Unless the NHL steps in and pushes him out. They want (and need) the downtown arena as much as the fans. If the LeBreton deal dies, I'm afraid the Sens will either fold or move away.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 7:51 PM

Quote:
We Sens fans have been hoping for that outcome for years now. Seems like the only way the team gets sold is if Bettman and co. step in and force his hand.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 8:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixx View Post
We Sens fans have been hoping for that outcome for years now. Seems like the only way the team gets sold is if Bettman and co. step in and force his hand.
But will they? It seems to me the NHL has seen far worse team owners than Eugene Melnyk over the years.

I doubt they care much, as long as they don't have to pay his bills for him.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
If the LeBreton deal dies, I'm afraid the Sens will either fold or move away.
The NHL will never let a team fold, they'll simply get them to relocate.
The BOG would love to relocate Ottawa to a US city. While Seattle will get an expansion team, they'll look to Houston or even Portland.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 9:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
The NHL will never let a team fold, they'll simply get them to relocate.
The BOG would love to relocate Ottawa to a US city. While Seattle will get an expansion team, they'll look to Houston or even Portland.
Or Quebec City. Are there really serious nibbles from people interested in owning an NHL team in Houston or Portland?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada