HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 6:04 PM

Can you guys help us out and figure out all the restaurants (and more!) that have been in the now Tiny's Bar and Grill that's in front of JB Hand on Topsail Road?

Tiny's? My Brothers Place? Red Rock? I think a video store way back, Venus video? But was the video store the first business to operate in that location?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 6:52 PM

That building based on its architecture looks like it’s been around since the 1970s I would guess or possibly earlier.

Smiths Home Hardware also spent some time occupying that space before it moved across the street that is now NL Gov offices and moved to the former Dominion space nearby and eventually to the Village Mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpeddle View Post
Can you guys help us out and figure out all the restaurants (and more!) that have been in the now Tiny's Bar and Grill that's in front of JB Hand on Topsail Road?

Tiny's? My Brothers Place? Red Rock? I think a video store way back, Venus video? But was the video store the first business to operate in that location?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 1:17 AM

Quote:

I believe it was Allen's Video before My Brother's Place. No recollection before that.

Funny, I was only thinking earlier today that Hone Hardware must've moved more often than any other business in the city.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 3:30 AM

It was a liquor store in the early 70's

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 2:17 AM

Le chateau Village Mall

Was at the Village today and noticed that Le Chateau is having a store closing sale. Been around a long time.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisisnf View Post
Was at the Village today and noticed that Le Chateau is having a store closing sale. Been around a long time.
Not surprised that location is closing. I believe it was a clearance centre store. I would imagine the store in the Avalon Mall will still be open.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:39 PM

Wait, the clothing store?

looks at title of thread ;-)

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:17 PM

Harvey's Mount Pearl looks to be days away from opening. The drive-thru is finally paved, signs and awnings are up, menu boards are lit up inside and people and furniture are there as well.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:58 PM

The pub/coffee shop/bistro in the old fire station at the corner of Duckworth and Ordnance will be called Bannerman Brewing Co. and launched a website and social media this week.

https://www.bannermanbrewing.com/

The building is coming together too. The outside is looking good with new paint and the sailboat symbol across the garage doors. I would have taken a photo but the doors were open and a large trench was dug in front of the building for probably water and sewer work. Hopefully that won't delay the opening!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 8:45 PM

^ I'm glad they went with a name other than their previous working title (Fire House Brewery). I personally can't wait.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 613_YYT View Post
The pub/coffee shop/bistro in the old fire station at the corner of Duckworth and Ordnance will be called Bannerman Brewing Co. and launched a website and social media this week.

https://www.bannermanbrewing.com/

The building is coming together too. The outside is looking good with new paint and the sailboat symbol across the garage doors. I would have taken a photo but the doors were open and a large trench was dug in front of the building for probably water and sewer work. Hopefully that won't delay the opening!
That's actually pretty nice branding.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Wait, the clothing store?

looks at title of thread ;-)
My bad.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 1:48 AM

New Tim's on Topsail Rd is open. Drive thru doesn't interfere with parking as many do and it has tons of capacity. However, the exit from the parking lot and drive thru looks like it is going to cause problems especially if someone tries to make a left on to Topsail. Not as much seating inside as you might expect.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisisnf View Post
New Tim's on Topsail Rd is open. Drive thru doesn't interfere with parking as many do and it has tons of capacity. However, the exit from the parking lot and drive thru looks like it is going to cause problems especially if someone tries to make a left on to Topsail. Not as much seating inside as you might expect.
As well, it may be time for them to remove those concrete barricades preventing easy access to Burgeo, from the Dollorama. All the Cowan Heights traffic funnels around the front of the gym, and I've seen a couple of near misses with foot traffic there.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 1:25 AM

Mount Pearl Harveys opening on Monday.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 4:03 PM

Here's a pic of the new Harvey's Restaurant in Mount Pearl. In the building that use to house Rogers Video next door to Shoppers Drug Mart. At least I dont have to go all the way to the east end now to get my Harvey's burger. Yea.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...07&oe=5CB205A1

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 2:55 PM

Saw on Twitter that the building that Bacalao is in on Lemarchant is for sale. I'd imagine the restaurant owners own the building but not sure. They've been there a long time.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 3:32 AM

Anyone remember when Wild Horses in Portugal cove (by the ferry) became the Angry Urchin earlier this year. My husband drove by it awhile ago and the wild horses sign was back. I checked Facebook and Wilson horses says back under original management and angry urchin has disappeared from Facebook. They didnt last long.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 7:21 PM

Some more information in the Overcast this month about future plans for the old Healey's Pharmacy on Water Street.

Mallard Cottage Launching A Market-style Deli in 2019
Sounds like you can’t get enough of Mallard Cottage. Good news, there’ll soon be a whole new reason to love them. They’ve acquired the Healey’s Pharmacy property on Water Street West to launch a market-style deli in the spring. “The business will be a market of sorts with a focus on butchery, fresh pasta, baked goods, and condiments, but will also have a coffee bar and a small seating area for dining in,” says Stepehen Lee. “We will be teasing this at our New Year’s event this month – an early evening with classic cocktails, live music, and beautiful wines alongside a butcher-driven menu.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 6:48 PM

Bacalao is closing. I always wanted to get there, but never did..

http://ntv.ca/award-winning-bacalao-...ing-its-doors/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's