HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Popeye's Chicken, just like Mary Brown'sis WAY BETTER than thus predictable chicken places. Crispier, juicier, more premium quality chicken meat and larger pieces, less greasy....for starters....................
Popeye's is low end fast food garbage in the US don't see how it will be any better here, Mary Brown's is nothing special certainly no better than Chicken Delight or any other chicken restaurant.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:38 PM
Speak the truth, then run

I brought home a 20-piece bucket of KFC on Tuesday.

I'd like to apologize to those on the packed bus who smelled like KFC for the rest of the day.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 12:20 PM

Not a fan of Mary Brown's chicken except for the chicken sandwich. I find their pieces of chicken to be smaller. Chicken Delight is okay, I mainly eat from there because their coleslaw isn't that onion coleslaw like KFC or Chicken Chef. If i'm just getting chicken, then its from Chicken Chef.
I stopped eating KFC when my friends son worked their and said that they purposely try to make the chicken bland or too salty so people would start buying their gravy. maybe it was a location thing.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 1:53 PM

tried Bellisimo on Waverly last Friday for the 1st time and man was it good. lamb shank over gnocci was $25'ish and was super good. all 4 of us loved our meals. this restaurant has been there for long time, (decades?) and it was jam packed friday night at 730.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 2:45 PM

^ Definitely a longstanding popular spot in that neck of the woods.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 7:17 PM

Ivory on Main is moving into the old Spice Affair/Dhoom/Pizza Hut on Donald.

Now, this is complete speculation based on me thinking it's a good idea but... I know Joey has been interested in coming downtown for a few years but were in no rush as they wanted to wait for the "right" location. I think this would be a great fit for them. Big space with lots of frontage and windows on a high-traffic street. Across from Earls. Close to the soon-to-be-busier Forks residents and tourist attractions, 300 Main, etc. Ivory had free parking in the underground parking lot as well. Big sidewalk for patio and maybe even possibility of a rooftop.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 11:00 PM

The chicken from Chester Fried in portage place is easily some of the most underrated fried chicken in the city. Good crunch and flavor unlike the soggy mess that is KFC.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by factis View Post
The chicken from Chester Fried in portage place is easily some of the most underrated fried chicken in the city. Good crunch and flavor unlike the soggy mess that is KFC.
Oh man, that place is still there??

I used to live on Webb Pl in 2003-2004 and I consumed a ridiculous amount of Chester Fried chicken/wings/wedges. I haven’t been in Portage Place in a few years.

On the Mary Browns topic- I liked their chicken a lot the two times I had it. Not greasy, and the pieces were huge both times. Definitely a step up from KFC/Chicken Delight (CD has fallen off)

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

Now, this is complete speculation based on me thinking it's a good idea but... I know Joey has been interested in coming downtown for a few years but were in no rush as they wanted to wait for the "right" location. I think this would be a great fit for them. Big space with lots of frontage and windows on a high-traffic street. Across from Earls. Close to the soon-to-be-busier Forks residents and tourist attractions, 300 Main, etc. Ivory had free parking in the underground parking lot as well. Big sidewalk for patio and maybe even possibility of a rooftop.
Honestly I could never see them going for it without a rooftop patio. No one would go there in summer when earls is the exact same establishment across the street but with a big patio. I think the likely spot for them would be in the bottom of the new 300 main building, provided the space is amazing.

A rooftop view of the forks would likely make it one of the busiest patios in the city, and probably force ealrs to go ahead with moving/renovating

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 7:27 PM

Earls won't be renovating. There's some structural issues with the building foundation so when they figure out exactly what they're going to do, it will definitely be a new build. They're likely going to need some sort of development partner, and with the continuing expansion east and south, Winnipeg is not a top priority right now.

It's crazy, Main Street was one of their flagship locations, always top 3-5 in the company in sales, and a test kitchen before expanding to Ontario and more into the US. Now, I believe most locations in Ontario, and all the new US locations have passed it, putting it around #20 at best.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 10:02 PM
BANNED

I have not enjoyed KFC in 30 years to be honest (aside from my visit to the Grande Prairie--of all places--KFC in 2013). The gravy is now watery with little flavor, and the chicken is blah.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Popeye's is low end fast food garbage in the US don't see how it will be any better here, Mary Brown's is nothing special certainly no better than Chicken Delight or any other chicken restaurant.
Well, you certainly are entitled to your opinion but I 100% disagree. I am very particular on all my food. Many of my friends, co workers and family as well...Ch Delight is no delight. No taste, greasy KFC cheap chicken, tough greasy...Premium meat at Mary's.Chicken tender Popeyes about the same. Chicken chef is quite decent as well.

Last edited by BAKGUY; Jan 28, 2018 at 8:30 AM. Reason: edit

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

New sign is already up as well as an opening soon poster in the window. Was driving so couldn't snap a pic.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
New sign is already up as well as an opening soon poster in the window. Was driving so couldn't snap a pic.
Wait, new sign for what? It *is* a Joeys?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Wait, new sign for what? It *is* a Joeys?
Am I being had here?

Says Ivory.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 12:20 AM

Based on the amount of people trying to get in, and willing to wait extended periods of time in order to do so, I have come to the conclusion that the greatest restaurant in Winnipeg is The Keg.

...I don't get it, but clearly it is a much loved establishment. All locations. Good for them, I suppose.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Based on the amount of people trying to get in, and willing to wait extended periods of time in order to do so, I have come to the conclusion that the greatest restaurant in Winnipeg is The Keg.

...I don't get it, but clearly it is a much loved establishment. All locations. Good for them, I suppose.
Unfortunately The Keg was not able to open the location that they had secured rezoning for a few years ago on the east side of Winnipeg just to the south of the Steinbach Credit Union on Hwy 59.

I guess either they did it on spec hoping to find a franchisee or the one they had bailed out for some reason and they could not find a replacement to operate it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 3:21 AM

re: KFC all i ever order are the tenders, they are so good.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:47 PM

The popularity of The Keg could be based on a lack of similar priced steak houses in the city. If you want a good steak and aren't going to The Keg or a top of market place like 529 where do you go?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The popularity of The Keg could be based on a lack of similar priced steak houses in the city. If you want a good steak and aren't going to The Keg or a top of market place like 529 where do you go?
Bouchee Boucher

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan