HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 4:16 PM

New Bike ways and side walks

I drive Cannon daily and with the heavy snowfall? I saw the bike lane being cleared and brushed right down to the bone with a sweeper.
The sidewalks that parallel the route is snow covered and icy. Barely toyuched!
So the pedestrians just march down the bike lane.
There is money to clear the bike route but not the sideways.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 4:44 PM

In a lot of municipalities around here, the municipal government clears the sidewalks. I’ve read that the added cost amounts to a few dozen dollars a year per household.

Sidewalks have been pretty terrible this winter in my experience, and there is limited enforcement of the existing bylaw.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 5:47 PM

... plus enforcement is useless. By the time 24 hours goes by, and someone calls, and it's addressed by the city, and eventually cleared, days have gone by and anyone who isn't young and fit has been denied the basic human right of mobility. And it only takes one slacker property owner to render an entire block impassable.

The current setup of "it's the law" for citizens to clear snow off city-owned sidewalks is quite ludicrous, especially in areas of the city where people have chosen to live specifically because they want to walk everywhere - either because they have no choice or because they've made that choice.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 6:30 PM

The truly nutty thing is that we don’t need to scratch our heads and consult with other municipalities to figure out how to go about getting it done- it’s already done in one of our former municipalities!

In Ancaster, homeowners do not need to worry about clearing their sidewalk, and people getting around on foot do not need to worry about whether homeowners have done it. And the cost? Less than ten dollars a household.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure