HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 2:07 PM
Hamilton Historian

Toronto in 1970s:

One can almost imagine they are looking at hamilton.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 5:53 PM
Hammer'd

Cool. We've caught up to Toronto 40 years ago!
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 7:08 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
yeah pretty much lol..

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I am personally glad that Hamilton didn't ever grow without any type of care toward the city 30-40 years ago. Hamilton is growing in a time where there is a lot more thought put into developments and growth, and I am glad for it.

Toronto used to be a beautiful city as shown from that picture there, and now it is in most places a grotesque shell of what it once was. Don't get me wrong, I love the big city, but I see no difference in different areas of the downtown anymore like you do in Hamilton.

If I had unlimited money, I would still pick Hamilton over Toronto, and with that money, I would probably try to invest in the city and make it even nicer than it is for both the poor and the middle class.

I am glad Hamilton will likely never be Toronto, despite my love for Toronto. Not every city needs to be Toronto or New York.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 8:49 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I am personally glad that Hamilton didn't ever grow without any type of care toward the city 30-40 years ago. Hamilton is growing in a time where there is a lot more thought put into developments and growth, and I am glad for it.

Toronto used to be a beautiful city as shown from that picture there, and now it is in most places a grotesque shell of what it once was. Don't get me wrong, I love the big city, but I see no difference in different areas of the downtown anymore like you do in Hamilton.

If I had unlimited money, I would still pick Hamilton over Toronto, and with that money, I would probably try to invest in the city and make it even nicer than it is for both the poor and the middle class.

I am glad Hamilton will likely never be Toronto, despite my love for Toronto. Not every city needs to be Toronto or New York.
totally agreed. I love how hamilton feels like both a small town and a big city at the same time.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 9:47 PM
Hammer'd

Yeah, as an ex-Torontonian I completely agree as well. I was just being facetious with my last post. The growth that has happened in Hamilton in the last 5 years has actually been mostly amazing and intelligent, HSR problems aside.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 4:16 PM
Hamilton Historian

to play the devils advocate here, I look at places like dubai, and I see just what awesome architecture can be created if money is absolutely no object:

esp. when you can build an entire city all at once:

I mean look at the things they are proposing to build there - this is a typical "city plan" mockup for a new area - "falcon city":

and another area titled "garden city"

rolling green spaces that puts even new york to shame:

they even create their own islands and build on the water - just imagine what we could build on lake ontario!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 4:53 PM

Too bad this is Hamilton and not Dubai and we don't have this source of money, therefore it's pretty irrelevant to try to compare. Just saying.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 5:09 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Too bad this is Hamilton and not Dubai and we don't have this source of money, therefore it's pretty irrelevant to try to compare. Just saying.
as I said, just playing the devils advocate, and who knows how wealthy hamilton might become in the future

it was pretty wealthy in the past

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 6:14 PM

Dubai is also car central. Zero walkability or biking potential. It's not sustainable at all unless they have either unlimited oil, or some other resource sometime soon.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 6:46 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Dubai is also car central. Zero walkability or biking potential. It's not sustainable at all unless they have either unlimited oil, or some other resource sometime soon.
I dunno man I'm seeing a lot of sidewalks and tree lined boulevards and walkways in those above photos..

also apparently dubai's wealth isn't actually form its oil, but from its tourism at this point.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 9:06 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I dunno man I'm seeing a lot of sidewalks and tree lined boulevards and walkways in those above photos..

also apparently dubai's wealth isn't actually form its oil, but from its tourism at this point.
It's also generally like 45C with the humidity, so even the best design wouldn't see many pedestrians.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post

Many places have unused sidewalks. Mississauga is a great example of bike lanes, transit and sidewalks designed around a car designed city. Cul de sacs, and unsquare blocks make it car for cycling, walking and Transit networks to succeed.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 9:46 PM
Hamilton Historian

hamilton is still imo a car city, as much as they want to make everyone take public transit.

If they want everyone to take public transit, perhaps they shouldn't charge us to use it. Free transit would be great.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 11:27 PM

^I get what you're saying but Dubai sucks. Book a ticket. You'll likely find it interesting in some ways but certainly not a model for development...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 12:16 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
^I get what you're saying but Dubai sucks. Book a ticket. You'll likely find it interesting in some ways but certainly not a model for development...
architecturally I find it beautiful - however I've also heard it described as "a city without a soul" that and their treatment of women and all - pretty to look at from a distance anyways.

Still, we could probably learn something from them - one thing they are great at is deviating away from purely square skyscrapers, more varied shapes would be great in hamilton

and hamilton, if it wants to be seen as an iconic city, still needs some sort of building that stands out for tourism, like toronto has the cn tower. Something to draw people to the city.

It used to be the entertainment city of the golden horseshoe, with its opera houses movie theatres and vegas strip night life. We need something like that again. If a tourist came and asked me what does hamilton have for me to see, the biggest thing that pops up is the waterfalls and architecture.. and thats good, but a lot of those waterfalls are only active at certain points of the year - hiking trails is good, but the city itself needs something it is iconic for methinks.

Montreal has its nightlife and old architecture and history, ottawa has its business capital and old architecture, toronto has its new york big business vibe and old architecture, what should hamilton have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
yeah I can't afford that haha..

I'll just admire from afar.. that and you know.. dust storms and whatnot...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 1:54 AM
Ham-burgher

How about first becoming a city that has returned to a position of economic strength that is based on viable and sustainable industries and enterprises, while being affordably livable and offering a wide variety of amenities for its residents.

Too modest?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Correct. Terrible planning. Best not to look over there.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 4:16 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingviking View Post
how about first becoming a city that has returned to a position of economic strength that is based on viable and sustainable industries and enterprises, while being affordably livable and offering a wide variety of amenities for its residents.

Too modest?
get out of here hippie!

:p

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 6:14 PM

Quote:
I've also heard it described as "a city without a soul" that and their treatment of women and all
And the migrant workers and such.

Last edited by thistleclub; Nov 10, 2017 at 10:09 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton