HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 1:38 PM

Looking to sell my condo

I'm probably moving to Montréal shortly, and I will need to sell my condo ASAP. How much do you think I can ask for my East Market condo? I had it modelled from a designer, I had put more than 15k$ in upgrades. I would try to sell it on my own, as a 20k$ extra for the realtor would probably scare people off, and I don't have the time for that. I would have preferred to rent it, but I don't have the cash for that either.

http://www.theeastmarket.ca/floorplans/market1.pdf

I will post pics soon.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 3:14 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
How much do you think I can ask for my East Market condo?
There is no shortage of MLS listings out of the East Market right now. Compare them to your property and price it accordingly (depending on square footage, floor, exposure/view, upgrades, inclusions, etc.).

Quote:
I would have preferred to rent it, but I don't have the cash for that either.
What prohibitive amount of cash is involved in renting it? There are numerous web sites where you can list your rental for free, all you have to do is come up with the rent fee. Just google 'rent listings ottawa'.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 3:40 PM

grapevine.ca (just type in condo or something) is another good place to look for pricing. It is a sell by owner site (where they sell you some sort of kit)

There was also another outfit...I forget there name that was doing sell by owner but provided you with an actual MLS listing.

The other big thing with pricing is how quickly you want to get rid of this thing.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 4:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The view you have will affect pricing as well. Sometimes in a big way.

Do you look out onto Parliament Hill and the Château Laurier? The Gatineau Hills?

Or Lower Town East and Rideau Street? Big difference I’d say.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 4:57 PM

Should be easy to price: take the average comparable condo price per sq. foot being listed. Then benchmark your condo against other 745 sq. foot models you find. Add a grand for each floor if you are more than half way up. Maybe another 10 grand if you have the parliament view. Personally I don't think the upgrades will help, but you can try.

Then if you need to sell fast you will start off low. I would take 3% of the top. If you're selling privately then you're saving the 6% real estate fee and still ahead. Plus you still have some more room to lower if time is running out.

good luck

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 5:27 PM

Thanks for the tips.

Basically I paid 217k$ in 2005. I need to sell it for 249k$ to be able to afford my move to Montréal. I have a great view, even if it's one of the lower levels and facing George St. to Chateau Laurier and the Parliament. It includes a locker too.

The reason for this is that I don't have enough money to afford moving (deposit + other fees) without selling it, and thus I can't put it for rent.

Last edited by p_xavier; May 7, 2008 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 7:51 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

The more startling news here is.... you're moving to Montreal?

Whatever the opoprtunity, congrats - and hopefully you can come back to Ottawa with your Montreal experience and know-how some day.

You should be able to list your condo at $259,900 and sell it pretty close to that.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
The more startling news here is.... you're moving to Montreal?

Whatever the opoprtunity, congrats - and hopefully you can come back to Ottawa with your Montreal experience and know-how some day.

You should be able to list your condo at $259,900 and sell it pretty close to that.
Well after being a security guard/analyst for 4 years, it's time for me to get a better job. I'm really bitter because when I moved here, everyone said, oh you'll find an engineering job easily. So I'm at the point that I'm just fed up being in this city.

I love my condo, basically it's the only thing that kept me here. I'm really sadden to sell it, but financially I don't have any other choice.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 12:52 PM

Just to say I sold it this morning 251k$

With a one year clause, so if I want it back next year, I can buy it back.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Just to say I sold it this morning 251k$

With a one year clause, so if I want it back next year, I can buy it back.

How on earth did you ever get anyone to agree to that clause?

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
How on earth did you ever get anyone to agree to that clause?
Basically the guy who bought it (well the papers still need to be finished), is doing so to rent it, so I made him agreed to be able to buy it back from him next year if I want to, at the home inflation rate.

It's just I don't know how it will go in MTL, and I got a one year leave from my permanent job. (well I don't even have secured a job there yet, I'm just pre-emptive). I found a nice condo there, and want to make sure I'll be able to make the move smoothly, I should have news for the job really soon.

Last edited by p_xavier; May 8, 2008 at 5:10 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 5:29 PM

Frankly, I haven't seen any signs that the Ottawa real estate market is slowing, despite several stories in the national media that the number of buyers in the marketplace is shrinking.

For sellers with a great place, well maintained, the market appears to be pretty durable in Ottawa.

Not to hijack from D_Jeffrey, but my wife and I also sold our three bedroom, two bath upper unit stacked townhome in the Domicile District in a few days and for our asking price.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungodlycrosscheck View Post
Frankly, I haven't seen any signs that the Ottawa real estate market is slowing, despite several stories in the national media that the number of buyers in the marketplace is shrinking.

For sellers with a great place, well maintained, the market appears to be pretty durable in Ottawa.

Not to hijack from D_Jeffrey, but my wife and I also sold our three bedroom, two bath upper unit stacked townhome in the Domicile District in a few days and for our asking price.
Well that can be the condo selling thread . What I'm not happy about tho, is that the condo I wanted in MTL is sold (there were two of them even). So now I need to find something else, the only one on MLS that I like is the Unity building one, but quite steep (275k$) for something of 750sf in Montréal.

So basically while one step is done, selling the condo, I still need to finalize the job and a new condo, sigh...

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 7:48 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Congrats on the sale, the price and the deal. Good way to cover all bases.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 1:09 PM

D_Jeffrey,

What area of Montreal are you focusing your condo search?

I don't know how well you know the Montreal markte but if you don't mind some unsolicited recommendations...
The St. Henri area, particularly surrounding the Atwater Market has a tonne of new condo stock, great access to metro (Lionel Groulx) and the canal.

Not far from Parc extension, near Jean Talon Market more precisely there is also a lot of new condo building, reasonably priced in a thriving, diverse neighbourhood.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungodlycrosscheck View Post
D_Jeffrey,

What area of Montreal are you focusing your condo search?

I don't know how well you know the Montreal markte but if you don't mind some unsolicited recommendations...
The St. Henri area, particularly surrounding the Atwater Market has a tonne of new condo stock, great access to metro (Lionel Groulx) and the canal.

Not far from Parc extension, near Jean Talon Market more precisely there is also a lot of new condo building, reasonably priced in a thriving, diverse neighbourhood.
Right now, the only condos that have caught my eye are the unity lofts and the oxxford ones. Since they are building a park on top of the 720, that would have solved my issue with the highway there. So I went to visit it Friday, and there were two condos that I could afford.
But they were both sold as of yesterday .

I really want an historical building, remade to high quality modern, for me it's quality over quantity (sf). I want an italian kitchen, concrete or gray wooden floors, plus open concept if possible with an outstanding bathroom.

My budget is max 300k$, including moving and all fees.

This is the one I liked: http://www.oxxford.info/106.htm (basically you had a glass-enclosed bathroom where from the living room you could see people showering, I find that really cool .

http://passerelle.centris.ca/redirec...W.MLS.CA&Lang=

The best one is the http://www.oxxford.info/201.htm. It's the most awesome condo I ever visited. Seriously, high quality everywhere, plus your own INTERIOR terrace.

But I doubt I will get a 105k a year job to be able to afford it .

The only one that is available right now and I might like, is this one (yes the Twister carpet would be out of the door):

I've looked a bit in the St-Henri and Jean-Talon redevelopment, even for Griffintown. But they're so so, for me a condo must represent me, and the ones I saw don't. I've looked into the Lowney, Genx and the Imperial one, not enough distinctive, and not really fond of the neighbhorhoods either...

Anyways, now I'm not in such a hurry to move, since I will need to find a good condo first.

Last edited by p_xavier; May 10, 2008 at 3:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 12:18 AM

I finally bought a condo in Montréal, I was waiting to see if I would come back in Ottawa or not. All signs point to no, so that's why I didn't sell my condo last summer, I wasn't sure yet. But now I got an agent and it's up for sale

So if anyone's interested, let me know, I'll give you a rebate. If you find someone and I sell it at good price, I'll give you $1000.

http://www.realtor.ca/PropertyDetail...=7782320&cul=1

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion