HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 3:37 PM

Question Need your help

Just decided to sell the house and downsize. We are a couple mid 40 and looking to purchase a condo. Either 101 Richmond or Westboro station.

One is a lot smaller 700sq feet and the other is bigger 970 and pricier. They both have two bedroom like we wanted.

My question is: Is location more important than square footage?

I am aware that this small space will be quite a challenge to adapt to even the 970. We presently owne a 2600 sq feet bungalow.

I have visited a lot of different size and model, however, none are the exact floorplan, so I am uncertain regarding the space.

Merci
Alex

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsks View Post
Just decided to sell the house and downsize. We are a couple mid 40 and looking to purchase a condo. Either 101 Richmond or Westboro station.

One is a lot smaller 700sq feet and the other is bigger 970 and pricier. They both have two bedroom like we wanted.

My question is: Is location more important than square footage?

I am aware that this small space will be quite a challenge to adapt to even the 970. We presently owne a 2600 sq feet bungalow.

I have visited a lot of different size and model, however, none are the exact floorplan, so I am uncertain regarding the space.

Merci
Alex

700 SQ FT can be fine if you know what you are getting in to. But, a 2 bedrrom 700 Sq Ft will be very, very tight. All the rooms will be smaller than you imagine/the furniture diagrams in the sales kits.

My advice would be to look at some completed units of similar size and layout to get an idea (I don't think I have seen a 2 bedrrom 700 SQ Ft unit though). Ideally you should look at something by the same builder if possible.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 4:49 PM

There are low rise condos that offer more space if that is what you need.

I live in one in Overbrook. Gives you the space without the maintenance. From 1300 to 2600 square feet. Patio out back so you can keep your BBQ. Walking distance to market. Cost me 200K 5 years ago.

Many similar are avail if your trying to get close to downtown and rid yourself of upkeep and open up the ability to travel during the winter without having to worry.

House Front.

House Back.

View from Back.

Note: I have no wish to sell...

Last edited by Yroc; Aug 20, 2009 at 5:02 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 1:10 AM

Go for the 970 sqf. Don't underestimate the strain tight space can put on a relationship, even a 20 year old one...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 5:03 PM

Thanks Everyone,
I think I will go for the smaller condo, with the money we will save, we will not be spending a lot of time in it anyway. New Zealand, Europe and Mexico, here we come.
Thanks again
Alexandra

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajldub View Post
Go for the 970 sqf. Don't underestimate the strain tight space can put on a relationship, even a 20 year old one...
Although, 700 sq feet would look pretty good to these folks.

http://www.photomichaelwolf.com/100x100/33.html

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 4:32 PM
CondoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsks View Post
Thanks Everyone,
I think I will go for the smaller condo, with the money we will save, we will not be spending a lot of time in it anyway. New Zealand, Europe and Mexico, here we come.
Thanks again
Alexandra
Please, please, please visit a similarly sized condo before you go ahead with this... I don't think you have any idea how small a space you are proposing to share with another person. Two bedrooms in 700sqft leaves very little space for actual living, ie. relaxing over a meal or sipping some rose in the evening while listening to music, particularly once you factor in some furniture, books and a television. I have to agree with ajldub, the tight space can definitely put a strain on a relationship.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 4:08 AM

Agree that you should definitely see it first. Myself, I'd take 700 square feet in a good location over 970 square feet in a location I didn't like. In a bad location, 700 square feet would be like a prison because there's nowhere to go. However, if you're in an urban area with lots of places to go during the day and night, then it's plenty.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 11:46 AM

Bought it!

That's for the great advice everyone. We decided to go with a one bedroom unit which has more open living space. We felt that the two bedroom option in the same size would have left not enough room for day to day living.

Final unit is 709 sq ft + 76 sq ft balcony at 101 Richmond. It will have 9'8" ceiling so that will create an enhanced sense of space. The building will have a rooftop terrace so that will also give us a second huge balcony with a view of the river!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 5:58 PM

One bedroom in 700 sqft is the right decision. There seems to be a trend in Ottawa where they are selling smaller condos with what used to be open "den" space as a second bedroom; it means people are either going to have tiny bedrooms or not much living space. e.g. this Second Avenue West unit layout with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in 801 sqft makes no sense to me. http://domicile.ca/saw/floorplans/pdf/SAW%2009.pdf In roughly the same space, The Strand put one 15x11 bedroom and one bathroom, with a 9x10 den and a separated kitchen area.

Last edited by rakerman; Aug 24, 2009 at 6:02 PM. Reason: added Strand info

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 7:04 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakerman View Post
One bedroom in 700 sqft is the right decision. There seems to be a trend in Ottawa where they are selling smaller condos with what used to be open "den" space as a second bedroom; it means people are either going to have tiny bedrooms or not much living space. e.g. this Second Avenue West unit layout with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in 801 sqft makes no sense to me. http://domicile.ca/saw/floorplans/pdf/SAW%2009.pdf In roughly the same space, The Strand put one 15x11 bedroom and one bathroom, with a 9x10 den and a separated kitchen area.
You're bang on there Rake. What they call a second bedroom in that Domicile layout only squeaks in as a bedroom thanks to the half-wall (marked as "open to beyond") that lets them call it a bedroom even though it has no window. Without that half-wall letting sunlight in, it's legally a den. I suspect that's how it'll get used. Unless I'm living alone or with my gf in a place like that there's no way I want an "open bedroom".

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion