HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 9:05 PM

Were they ticketing for running stop signs? The residents are a little fixated on that.

*What Whould Jane Jacobs Do?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 10:13 PM

The city's looking for revenue wherever they can find it. Parking enforcement officers regularly cruise through my neighborhood late at night now, writing $100 tickets for parking within 15 feet of a fire hydrant. Ten known tickets in the last couple weeks just at my complex. I got a $100 ticket last week, written at 11:15pm.

It's probably true the cars were within 15 feet of a hydrant and that's not right but cars have been parking in those exact spots for years and years and there's never been any enforcement until now.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 1:54 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynikal View Post
Were they ticketing for running stop signs? The residents are a little fixated on that.
Im not at all sure why, but I guess this could be the reason. I didn't elaborate with the passerbys who warned me that they are "pulling u guys over". Maybe some random helmet law for the fab 40's? Bike registration (i registered my bike when I was a kid in dixon)??

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 3:00 AM

The City has no bicycle registration or helmet policy (with the exception of kids under 16). They occasionally do a sting op for stop sign runner on M due to neighborhood complaints. It's annoying and pointless but it's the law.

*What Whould Jane Jacobs Do?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 11:40 PM
Kodachrome

I got to meet George at the topping out party last year and he was vary
gracious. I was hired to shot the event and after everyone had got their
food and were all sitting and eating George came up to me and insisted that
I also eat... after telling him I was fine and not hungry he still insisted till I
ate, so I did. He was looking out for everyone... you'll be missed good man.

Photos by me below.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Developer George Tsakopoulos dies

Sacramento Business Journal
http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sa...5/daily16.html

Courtesy of the Tskaopoulos family
George Tsakopoulos signs a beam while holding his grandson. Tsakopoulos
spent nearly 60 years in real estate and development in Sacramento.

Noted Sacramento developer George Tsakopoulos died Monday at the age of 82.

Tsakopoulos, founder of Sacramento's third-largest land development company Tsakopoulos Investments, worked in real estate and development in the region since immigrating to the United States in 1950.

He began his career as a house flipper, and his company most recently debuted the 25-story Bank of the West Tower at 500 Capitol Mall.

Tsakopoulos is survived by his wife, children, including son, Angelo G. Tsakopoulos, who is a principal in Tsakopoulos Investments, and grandchildren. His brother, Angelo K. Tsakopoulos, founded Sacramento's AKT Development Inc.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 12:23 AM
Repeat!

That's a damn shame. He's been great for the city. RIP.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 12:13 PM
Closed account

When you feel like crawling, take the train
Light rail provides rolling party transportation for pub crawlers

anna.ritner@gmail.com
Published Friday, Jun. 26, 2009

It's 1:25 p.m. on a Saturday, and while most of the lethargically chic diners at the Shady Lady Saloon are hiding under oversize sunglasses and chasing their hangovers with Bloody Mary cocktails, a posse of geeks – lithe, energized, wielding calculators, pH strips and silver Sharpies – prepares to conquer the city.

With a water bottle, minute-by-minute schedule and survival food ration in my bag, I surrender my fear of leaving the midtown grid, along with any shred of paranoia that comes with attending an all-day social event by myself, and I join them.

The clock strikes 1:30 p.m. and suddenly, as if by the divine ordainment of the beer gods, we are transformed from a group of almost-perfect strangers into the Light Rail Pub Crawlers of Sacramento, class of June 2009 (also known as the "Freaks, Geeks and Nerds" tour). Together, we are boldly going where no ordinary crawl has gone before: to Folsom. And Rancho Cordova.

"This isn't amateur night," says Scott Carrington, 37, official Sacramento dive bar connoisseur and organizer of the Sacramento Light Rail Pub Crawl. He's referring to his zero-tolerance policy for rowdiness, destruction and, generally, people who can't hold their liquor like civilized adults. For an event that lasts 12 hours, it takes some strategy.

But Carrington, who has been organizing Light Rail crawls since 2006, has his events down to a science. He plans his routes in advance with the help of friends who accompany him on "dry runs" to prospective bars.

In addition to emitting a friendly vibe and being located within easy walking distance of a light-rail stop, there are a couple of other qualifications bars must satisfy to score a spot on the itinerary.

"I don't do ultra lounges, and I don't do covers," he avows. He does do kilts, however, and he's wearing one today, accessorized with his best Steve Urkel apparel. You really can't miss him in a crowd, and I figure that's probably the point.

Although Carrington's pub crawls have traveled as far as Oakland and Los Angeles, today's "modest" route covers 10 bars and four area neighborhoods: downtown, Rancho Cordova, Folsom and east Sacramento. On the train to Rancho, drifting farther and farther away from familiarity, I get to know my nine fellow crawlers. They are professional men and women, mostly 30-somethings hailing from midtown and east Sac, and they are all urban adventure-seekers looking to relax with their friends and meet new ones. Most of us have never attended a Light Rail Pub Crawl, and some of us shamefully admit to never having taken a ride on the light rail at all.

The first stop is Louie's Cocktail Lounge in Rancho Cordova – a NASCAR-worshipping kind of place located in a strip mall next to the freeway. The median age is 65, and there isn't even a small chance you'll see anyone you've ever seen in midtown here. Its suburban location means abundant roaming area, space for your pool cue to breathe, and no line for the bathroom.

Just when we've gotten into a good conversation about Thai restaurants, it's time to go, and we all hop back on the light rail for the 30-minute jaunt to Folsom. It's like a boozy adult field trip, but we're all friends by the end of the long ride, and we emerge as a unit and march into Sutter Club Sports Bar, where every single bar stool is occupied – and it's only 4 p.m.

Surrounded by at least 10 flat-screen TVs and a jamming digital jukebox that's crying "Love Bites," I'm in complete sensory overload. There are almost as many electronic devices as there are human beings. As the crawl ventures on, I realize this is the norm for Folsom, although the Powerhouse Pub – an amazing labyrinth-circus of a bar – got major kudos from the group for its large outdoor veranda and oversize wicker chairs.

After another hour spent complaining about our mothers, testing our cocktails with pH strips and discussing the best scents for public bathrooms (tangerine), it's 6 p.m., and I'm awestruck by the stamina of my fellow travelers. Hungry and dehydrated, I promise the geeks I'll return to them later, and I take the very long light-rail ride back to my native grid to recover.

Fast-forward to 10:30 p.m.: I roll up to Hilltop Tavern on Folsom Boulevard, placing bets with myself about how many of the original crawlers have survived the transition from daylight to night life.

I cross the street just as they're walking up to the bar (like true geeks, they're sticking precisely to schedule), and I'm amazed to count every single one of them there, plus a few new faces. Some of them have even changed outfits since I saw them last, hair let loose and dressed up in their sexier evening wear. I'm seriously impressed, and a little disappointed in myself.

Outside the bar, I ask Carrington, who is still very much composed at this point, what his secret to success is. He clears his throat to preface this sage shot of advice: "The pub crawl. It's not a sprint, you see. It's more like a marathon."

I can hardly wait for the next race through Sacramento. But I need to start training now.

To learn more about Sacramento Light Rail Pub Crawlers and their upcoming events, visit their "Lightrail Pubcrawlers of Sacramento" page at www.facebook.com.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 5:39 PM

Are you the real deal or someone pretending to be econ?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 11:42 PM
Kodachrome

Good article WBurg, it's really a shame that the demotion is being done on
speculation... and of all things a parking garage

City To Demolish Landmark "Bel-Vue" Building
by William Burg, published on July 3, 2009
The Sacramento Press

The city of Sacramento has announced its plans to demolish the Bel-Vue Apartments, a registered city landmark, in order to clear land on 8th Street for a potential future parking structure.

Located adjacent to the now-vacant corner of 8th and K Street, the Bel-Vue was built in 1910 as the American Cash Apartments. Built in the Craftsman style with Asian overtones, the three-story brick building contains apartments above a commercial ground floor. When the Bel-Vue was built, it was one of many downtown apartment buildings. If it was built today, the Bel-Vue would be described as a mixed-use, transit-oriented infill project. The building is currently owned by the city of Sacramento’s housing and redevelopment agency, the result of a complex land exchange between Mohammed “Mo” Mohanna, Z Gallerie owner Joe Zeiden, and the city of Sacramento. This land exchange was part of the currently stalled plans to rehabilitate the 700 block of K Street.

The city’s plan is to prepare an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) containing two possible alternatives for buildings to be built on the site, and then demolish the existing buildings. One alternative is a pair of residential towers 300 feet high, running from K Street to L Street along 8th, originally proposed by former owner Mohanna and developers John Saca (of the failed 301 Capitol Mall project) and John Lambeth. The other alternative is a 300 foot hotel tower at the corner of 8th and K, currently vacant, and a six-story parking structure on the site of the Bel-Vue and the other buildings at the corner of 8th and L. There is no developer or investor specified in the EIR notice of preparation; the city of Sacramento plans to create the EIR and demolish the Bel-Vue and nearby buildings on speculation, in case a developer appears who is interested in constructing the buildings the city has proposed for the site.

Read more here

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 8:24 PM

what the hell is wrong with this city? a parking garage??!!

does anyone have any historic photos / plans / elevations of this building?
i'd love to mock up some alternative schemes for preserving the facade / whole structure of this building..

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 8:53 PM
Hindrance to Development

If there are any historic photos they would probably be at SAMCC:
http://www.cityofsacramento.org/ccl/history/index.html

Except for the ground floor, the Bel-Vue looks pretty much the same as its era of construction: I took the photos for the original article.

Here's a better look at the Feldhusen Building, the building on the corner, before its unfortunate 1950s remodel:

I don't think I have seen any historic photos of the Bel-Vue proper. I have noticed that historic photos of the specific building I am looking for have a tendency to vanish until shortly after a deadline.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 6:35 AM

I need some advice,
If you want to show some one around Sacramento, where would you take them?

restaurant
night club
point of interest

this person is only staying 1 day, so one per category.
any recommendations?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 7:03 AM

San Francisco.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmoose View Post
I need some advice,

restaurant
night club
point of interest

any recommendations?
restaurant - Grange
night club - The Park
point of interest - American River Parkway

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 7:45 AM

Thumbs down Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
San Francisco.

No one likes you.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 7:53 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmoose View Post
I need some advice,

restaurant - The Kitchen, The Waterboy or Mulvanneys (Fine dining) or Chicago Fire for pizza, The Hot Italian for Gelato.
night club - Badlands (Gay)
point of interest - Water skiing on the Sacto River, Capitol Park and Building, The Railroad Museum. Take a bike ride in midtown and stop at Le Petit Paris for a dessert/sandwich/quiche and latte.

any recommendations?
Of course, it really depends on their interests.

restaurant - The Kitchen or The Waterboy, Mulvanneys (Fine dining) or Chicago Fire for pizza, The Hot Italian for Gelato.
night club - Badlands (Gay)
point of interest - Water skiing on the Sacto River, Capitol Park and Building, The Railroad Museum. Take a bike ride in midtown and stop at Le Petit Paris for a dessert/sandwich/quiche and latte.

A star in the Restaurant world is our very own "The Kitchen" restaurant, check out their website to learn more. This place regularly attracts people from LA and SF who fly up just for the experience. People from as far away as Tokyo make the trip. We had a chance to experience it on July 4 and the chef, owner and business partners of a fancy restaurant in Tokyo specifically came to SAC to dine at the "The Kitchen".
It's very expensive but worth it my IMO. ($125 per person for a 6 course meal, with 6 wine parings add $70). The restaurant gets some of the best ratings in the Zagat guide.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSac View Post
People from as far away as Tokyo make the trip. We had a chance to experience it on July 4 and the chef, owner and business partners of a fancy restaurant in Tokyo specifically came to SAC to dine at the "The Kitchen".
I would love to believe that but I find that **very** hard to believe.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 4:25 PM
Hindrance to Development

restaurant: La Bonne Soupe (assuming you can get there by 11:00 AM)
nightclub: Old Ironsides
point of interest: Old Governor's Mansion

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 5:14 PM

Old Ironsides isn't a night club is it?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 5:19 PM

For people in their 20's and early 30's it is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area