HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 8:17 PM

Just noticed on their website that Olive Garden is now offering franchising opportunities for restaurants in Canada. Really hope someone with the money will invest in one for Halifax!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
Just noticed on their website that Olive Garden is now offering franchising opportunities for restaurants in Canada. Really hope someone with the money will invest in one for Halifax!
Problem is that this will likely end up in some place like Dartmouth Crossing or Bayer's Lake.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 2:54 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Olive Garden would be a good fit in the Granville Mall area wouldn't it? There is already a BP near.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 3:46 PM

It would be great for downtown on the waterfront or something but I'd be going often no matter where it was opened

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 10:29 PM

Retail ship could come in
Billions in contracts may mean profitable Christmas in store

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1268314.html
By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Fri, Oct 14 - 5:03 AM

If Halifax Shipyard wins billions in contracts, that could thaw a prediction of a chilly holiday season for Nova Scotia retailers.

Colliers International is forecasting a 0.3 per cent reduction in year-over-year consumer spending in Nova Scotia, excluding automotive sales. The real estate firm is also predicting a soft holiday season for this province, with a 1.3 per cent increase in December sales over last year.

But those numbers could all change if the Irving-owned Halifax yard wins either of the massive shipbuilding contracts in the offing, said Pam MacFarlane, research director with Colliers in Halifax.

"It will be incredible to retail," MacFarlane said Thursday.

"They’ll have to sell 400 cars a year alone to keep up with the employees that will be hired to maintain that contract."

Ottawa is expected to soon announce the successful bidders for the $25-billion contract to build warships and $8 billion in work for non-combat vessels. There are three bidders on the shortlist — Irving Shipbuilding of Halifax, Seaspan Marine Corp. in British Columbia, and the Davie shipyard near Quebec City.

MacFarlane said her colleagues talk of family returning to Halifax should Irving win a piece of the pie.

"Their children, who have scattered, plan to come home if they get it."

Thousands of shipbuilders will need homes, groceries and other consumables, MacFarlane said.

"It will be phenomenal for the city, even if we get the small one."

While retail sales are anticipated to drop slightly across the province, she doesn’t expect that to affect the capital.

"All indications that I see are that retail in Halifax is rather robust," MacFarlane said. "There are a lot of national retailers still attracted to this marketplace."

Read more here: http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1268314.html

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 1:27 PM

Rockport Shoes is now open in Halifax Shopping Centre

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 2:08 PM

The Coast is reporting that Ratineaud French Cuisine will open at 2082 Gottingen on Nov. 1st. They will sell homemade pates, rillettes and other meat products along with prepared foods like quiche. They already sell at the Farmer's market and supply some local restaurants. Hopefully the start of a positive retail and restaurant trend on the long neglected Gottingen commercial blocks. I live around the corner and will check it out next week.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 10:06 PM

Buying food from a business with "Rat" in its name is not something I am likely to do.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Buying food from a business with "Rat" in its name is not something I am likely to do.
Haven't you seen Ratatouille? Rats can make excellent chefs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3sBBRxDAqk

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
Haven't you seen Ratatouille? Rats can make excellent chefs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3sBBRxDAqk
More evidence of the decline of western civilization. Computer-generated animations are a poor excuse for entertainment.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 1:40 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Mr. P you are just full of positive thoughts today.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 11:04 AM

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...oys-r-us-space

Big potential for smaller stores in old Toys 'R' Us space
An upcoming 31,000-square-foot vacancy at Mic Mac Mall presents a prime opportunity to introduce new and unique retailers, says the general manager.

Toys “R” Us is relocating to a new, free-standing, 50,000-square-foot outlet at Dartmouth Crossing in time for the 2011 holiday shopping season.

“We’re always out in the market looking for tenants. I think it’s very positive,” Chris Keillor said.

“Once you have a vacant space of any size, it presents the opportunity for us to fill it with new fresh-to-market tenants.

“That’s the goal of what we’re looking to do. Although right now I don’t have an update, that’s the focus of what we’re looking to do.”

Although Keillor was quiet on which retailers have expressed interest in the space, he expects to be able to share more information early next year.

A spokesperson with local commercial brokerage company Colliers International told The Chronicle Herald the soon-to-be-vacant space will be divided into multiple retail units, otherwise known as common retail usage or common retail units.

Keillor would not confirm nor deny whether this was the plan but said there has been “plenty of interest” in the second-floor space.

The new Toys “R” Us is immediately adjacent to a mini-mall that houses a Second Cup, a Henry’s camera store and some other businesses. It includes a Babies “R” Us component, standard fare in many of the chain’s newer stores across Canada and the United States.

There are about 70 Toys “R” Us locations across Canada and the chain has about 1,500 stores around the world.

Meantime, the mall is gearing up for its busiest time of the year — Christmas. With five temporary seasonal tenants already operating and new, permanently extended operating hours, all signs point to a successful holiday shopping season, Keillor said.

The mall is now open from 9:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily and from noon until 8 p.m. on Sundays.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Starbucks may move into Timmy's old ferry terminal spot

thechronicleherald.ca
November 4, 2011 - 7:03pm By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor

Commuters may soon be able to buy a Starbucks coffee at the Halifax ferry terminal.

City staffers are recommending council approve a 10-year lease with Starbucks Coffee Canada, Inc. The 300-square-foot retail space had been occupied by a Tim Hortons for more than 15 years.

“Tim Hortons vacated in May 2011 and relocated to the former Perk’s Coffee shop adjacent the ferry terminal,” says the staff report that will go to council Tuesday.
Read more here: http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...-terminal-spot

That would be Halifax's 16th Starbucks. Plus there are places like Jack Astor's that serve Starbucks coffee.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 11:55 PM

Regional Council awarded Starbucks the spot.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:43 PM

Some big changes to one of HRM's declining retail centres?

Big future for Penhorn site
A makeover of the former Penhorn Mall site in Dartmouth could bring hundreds of new homes and residents to the neighbourhood.

"We could see about 1,200 residential units in a full build-out," planner David Lane said Monday.

The location has the potential to handle 4,000 more people in those residential units, with a minimal increase in vehicular traffic due to an existing Metro Transit terminal, Lane said.

Halifax Regional Municipality has initiated a review of existing land-use controls to enable mixed-use redevelopment of the 17-hectare property owned by Crombie REIT, the real estate arm of Stellarton-based Empire Group, which owns Sobeys.

The site lost some lustre as a retail destination after Walmart Canada pulled up stakes and relocated to Dartmouth Crossing about five years ago.

The old Penhorn Mall, built in the 1970s, was recently demolished and the land is ready for redevelopment.

There is a new and enlarged Sobeys at the site, as well as a mini-mall with an assortment of commercial tenants. A Sears department store and a GoodLife Fitness centre are also located on the property.

There is a possibility of a complete redevelopment of the entire site or at least the eight-hectare piece on the back end of the Portland Street property.

"The Dartmouth Community Plan, as it is, allows for only a mall at this location," Lane said. "We’re looking at an amendment that will allow for a mix of uses, including offices, apartment and condominiums."

The change to mixed-use would be more in keeping with the designation of the property as one of 55 growth centres in the municipality’s development plan, implemented in 2006.

There is a desire for a transit-oriented and pedestrian-friendly development that will be integrated and compatible with the surrounding community, said Lane.

An existing Metro Transit terminal near Portland Street adds to the appeal of the area as a growth centre, although a park ’n’ ride with parking for 60 cars was recently removed by the property owner.

The rest of the story is here.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:47 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

This is good news. Hopefully we will see some high density buildings go in there.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 5:26 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

The meeting tonight regarding penhorn has been cancelled due to weather.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 5:37 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
This is good news. Hopefully we will see some high density buildings go in there.
Exactly what I was thinking... but the NIMBY response: "High density, are you out of your mind? It will destroy our community"

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 12:54 PM

This is more of a retail rumour... I noticed that a huge space at the corner of Duke and Barrington in Barrington Place Mall is being renovated. It used to be a travel agent and an investment/financial planner but they knocked down the wall between them and the space is enormous. Does anyone know what's in the works? I'd like to hope it will be retail - great street front exposure on a prominent corner - but the mall is so dismal otherwise that I wouldn't be surprised if it's an office.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 3:35 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Good spot for a downtown Jack Astors to compete with the BP that's near.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General