HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 4:29 PM

interesting,

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 6:04 PM

No thanks. Read the article, where are the specifics about this faith? How is this a benefit? What ideas will they be spreading? It's designed by woman so just accept what an accomplishment this is. We don't need a fancy building that has no function but to spread something they won't tell us about. All they say is other well-known places have it and it will make Houston a more dynamic place. Garbage. We don't need this kind of propaganda. Take your religious junk elsewhere. Look at the 3rd picture of the site in Sugar Land, my God that is so ugly. Are you kidding me? A 9-year old could design that heap. Organized religion is a money maker and that's all this is. Don't be fooled by the beautiful architecture that is to come. Build things for a community without any faith in mind, build things that have a function to make all welcome without the intent to influence. Give me a break. This is terrible.

Last edited by econik; Feb 6, 2019 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 7:10 PM
クラブトクヨ

Wow shes done some nice work! Look forward to see what she comes up with for the site.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 7:38 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by econik View Post
No thanks. Read the article, where are the specifics about this faith? How is this a benefit? What ideas will they be spreading? It's designed by woman so just accept what an accomplishment this is. We don't need a fancy building that has no function but to spread something they won't tell us about. All they say is other well-known places have it and it will make Houston a more dynamic place. Garbage. We don't need this kind of propaganda. Take your religious junk elsewhere. Look at the 3rd picture of the site in Sugar Land, my God that is so ugly. Are you kidding me? A 9-year old could design that heap. Organized religion is a money maker and that's all this is. Don't be fooled by the beautiful architecture that is to come. Build things for a community without any faith in mind, build things that have a function to make all welcome without the intent to influence. Give me a break. This is terrible.
You must be a total blast at parties. Who are you to decide what is or ins't needed here. These folks obviously felt the need for such a facility. And a simple Google search will tell you that they are Shia subgroup.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
You must be a total blast at parties. Who are you to decide what is or ins't needed here. These folks obviously felt the need for such a facility. And a simple Google search will tell you that they are Shia subgroup.
I agree...as a native Houstonian, I welcome the community and the building. If you don't like it, maybe you should move out of the most culturally diverse city in the US.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
I agree...as a native Houstonian, I welcome the community and the building. If you don't like it, maybe you should move out of the most culturally diverse city in the US.
Edit: Deleted initial post, as it was somewhat redundant to Bailey's. I'll say, though, that this is a good thing. It's like Hindu community centers, Jewish community centers, etc..

Last edited by AviationGuy; Feb 7, 2019 at 2:36 AM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
As a non-believer will I protest this building? No. Not worth the effort in a world dominated by sheep who question nothing when it comes to organized religion. Will I celebrate this building? Also no. It is sad that some of the finest architecture through the ages has been associated with religious palaces such as this one will likely be. It’s as if the extravagance and expense of these “religious institutional buildings” goes right over the heads of their believers. Very sad indeed when those funds should be used to help people in need or you know, pay taxes to the state. The better question you should be asking is who are these “religious institutions” to dictate and brainwash their followers into believing certain types of other peoples are “morally wrong” or unacceptable? These hateful beliefs that get a free pass by most in society, breed hate and create division. But disrespect these “religious institutions”, they have the gall to demand apologies and respect for their beliefs! Hypocrisy at it’s finest. Unfortunetely, this building will equally represent that hypocrisy and extravagance rampant in not only Islam but in most of today’s major religions.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
Really? I have a different opinion, and so I should move out of the city? You sound like an open-hearted individual who champions diversity as long as it's what you consider diverse. Low level thinking on your part, my friend. Just so you know I live in China and I have a Chinese wife and family. I just can't stand diversity, I guess. Sheesh

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 3:56 PM

I hope it will be at least 900 feet tall.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 4:27 PM

Wood Partners Announces Groundbreaking of Alta Washington Avenue

Quote:
A 7-story community located at 6400-01 Washington Avenue, Alta Washington Avenue is strategically located between several major employment centers, including the Central Business District, Galleria/Uptown and Greenway Plaza. The community will be located just 1,000 feet from Memorial Park, a lush 1,503-acre natural setting that boasts hiking trails, an indoor fitness center, golf course, tennis courts, swimming pool and playground, among other amenities.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:11 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehou77 View Post
As a non-believer will I protest this building? No. Not worth the effort in a world dominated by sheep who question nothing when it comes to organized religion. Will I celebrate this building? Also no. It is sad that some of the finest architecture through the ages has been associated with religious palaces such as this one will likely be. It’s as if the extravagance and expense of these “religious institutional buildings” goes right over the heads of their believers. Very sad indeed when those funds should be used to help people in need or you know, pay taxes to the state. The better question you should be asking is who are these “religious institutions” to dictate and brainwash their followers into believing certain types of other peoples are “morally wrong” or unacceptable? These hateful beliefs that get a free pass by most in society, breed hate and create division. But disrespect these “religious institutions”, they have the gall to demand apologies and respect for their beliefs! Hypocrisy at it’s finest. Unfortunetely, this building will equally represent that hypocrisy and extravagance rampant in not only Islam but in most of today’s major religions.
I celebrate good architecture. I don't care who built it or what it's purpose is for. How will this group or their building impact you anyway? I'm a lifelong atheist myself but you sound just as intolerant as the very people you are ranting against.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by econik View Post
They can build anything they want as long as they pay for the land and the taxes that come with it and adhere to local zoning policies.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 1:22 AM

I am also an atheist, but I believe in live and let live. Still, they will take this site off the tax roles. In other words, sadly, they will pay no taxes.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 6:20 PM

Good Lord, these Washington Avenue midrises are getting quite boring and formulaic. I've often wanted to see a developer or architect pay tribute to George Washington and his wife Martha on our very own Washington Blvd. A very cool, modern mid-rise with some of the elements of Mount Vernon would stand out with class and dignity.
A modern colonial structure with a Cupola Tower, dormer windows, and storm shutters might work in this city. A porch overlooking the skyline with rocking chairs, reminiscent of the magnificent view of the Potomac at Washington's estate. When will we get a break from the Pearl, the Core, Elan at Memorial Park, etc. - the glitz and glamour is fine and good for now, but what about some history. Who is bold enough to do this today?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 7:20 PM

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/...039735.article

Very excited that such a prominent location is being given its due. And they are working with Nelson Byrd Woltz, total class act. If you don't know who the people doing this project are, do a little research before ranting.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGHouston View Post

Very excited that such a prominent location is being given its due. And they are working with Nelson Byrd Woltz, total class act. If you don't know who the people doing this project are, do a little research before ranting.
That made me think of the movie, Independence Day, where the young woman is on top of the First Interstate bank building and looking up at the space ship and saying "Its so pretty", right before it blasts her!

I could care less about the nature of this building but just as forumers are intolerant of views expressed about Muslims; they should also practice tolerance for the person, expressing that view.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautica View Post
That made me think of the movie, Independence Day, where the young woman is on top of the First Interstate bank building and looking up at the space ship and saying "Its so pretty", right before it blasts her!

I could care less about the nature of this building but just as forumers are intolerant of views expressed about Muslims; they should also practice tolerance for the person, expressing that view.
Gets out tiny violin and plays very sad song.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGHouston View Post

what is his work like? is it good?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
what is his work like? is it good?
Nelson Byrd Woltz

We are going to see a lot of their work in Houston since they are also doing the Memorial Park project. Truly international and major, major projects.

Memorial Park Project

Can't wait to see what they do with this site: a lot smaller but probably an ample budget and vision.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 6:06 AM

I would imagine the general consensus would be that a page dedicated to architecture and real estate development may not be an appropriate space for personal political/religious opinions. If you'd like to vent those opinions feel free to use facebook and youtube like everyone does.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations