HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:33 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I'll chance it. I already pack a quantity of good beer & wine back when I return to Alberta from BC due to higher prices here, I doubt anyone will hassle me about a couple cans of gas on the way out
For the sake of accuracy, Mr. Comeau (the guy in the court case) had 344 bottles of beer in his car and 3 bottles of hard liquor when he was stopped by police across the border.

I have no idea what all of this was for - maybe he was just stocking up for the year, or maybe this was to supply a bar or a restaurant.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:40 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For the sake of accuracy, Mr. Comeau (the guy in the court case) had 344 bottles of beer in his car and 3 bottles of hard liquor when he was stopped by police across the border.

I have no idea what all of this was for - maybe he was just stocking up for the year, or maybe this was to supply a bar or a restaurant.
Wow that's a lot of beer.

Okanagan Spring 1516 is $22/ for a case of 12 at the BC government liquor store, it's about $34 for 2 six packs in Alberta. I usually bring back a half dozen cases or so. Enforcement is pretty lax on the Yellowhead into BC, and the Peace officers in Jasper park are usually too busy busting people speeding through the ridiculous 70kph zones to worry about much else

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:46 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Wow that's a lot of beer.

Okanagan Spring 1516 is $22/ for a case of 12 at the BC government liquor store, it's about $34 for 2 six packs in Alberta. I usually bring back a half dozen cases or so. Enforcement is pretty lax on the Yellowhead into BC, and the Peace officers in Jasper park are usually too busy busting people speeding through the ridiculous 70kph zones to worry about much else
Well, if you're having a barbecue or a pool party with lots of people, or going up to the cottage or camping with the boys, you can go through that quicker than you think.

I don't know what the impact of this ruling will be, but I can tell you that if they set up a police checkpoint on the Gatineau-Ottawa bridges and checked for beer, there'd be huge traffic jams all weekend. There might be riots too...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:53 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Well, if you're having a barbecue or a pool party with lots of people, or going up to the cottage or camping with the boys, you can go through that quicker than you think.

I don't know what the impact of this ruling will be, but I can tell you that if they set up a police checkpoint on the Gatineau-Ottawa bridges and checked for beer, there'd be huge traffic jams all weekend. There might be riots too...
The only checkpoints they set up coming back into AB from BC is to check boats to make sure our pristine AB lakes aren't polluted by weeds left on boats used in those nasty BC sloughs they have over there

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't it be much easier and smoother to just have spotting agents in the Gatineau Costco parking lot? It's basically impossible to get lots of beer into an Ontario-plated trunk without being seen...

They could then simply tell their colleagues at the south/east ends of the bridges which vehicles to stop.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:13 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Wouldn't it be much easier and smoother to just have spotting agents in the Gatineau Costco parking lot? It's basically impossible to get lots of beer into an Ontario-plated trunk without being seen...

They could then simply tell their colleagues at the south/east ends of the bridges which vehicles to stop.
On Saturday and Sunday afternoons, there is probably about one car a minute with newly bought beer in it and Ontario plates exiting the parking lot there. I am not really exaggerating.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:17 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Unless you wanted to target people who are buying many cases in order to supply a bar or something - but I really doubt anyone does that. It's very easy to get caught as the beer supply system for commercial clients doesn't have many loopholes. This is true of both Quebec and Ontario.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:22 PM

Ontario should enact a lower beer tax for Ottawa than in the rest of Ontario. The increased sales from reduced sales leakage to Quebec could very well lead to increased revenue in the end.

For gas, where the situation is the opposite (more expensive in Quebec) the Quebec government charges reduced fuel taxes at gas stations in Gatineau to reduce cross-border sales leakage.. So there's precedent for this.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:30 PM

Technically, isn't it the "import" of these amounts illegal? IE: for re-sale? Granted, at 344 cans, it's in a bit of a grey area... Do any of us think they'd confiscate "two twofours" for example?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Ontario should enact a lower beer tax for Ottawa than in the rest of Ontario. The increased sales from reduced sales leakage to Quebec could very well lead to increased revenue in the end.

For gas, where the situation is the opposite (more expensive in Quebec) the Quebec government charges reduced fuel taxes at gas stations in Gatineau to reduce cross-border sales leakage.. So there's precedent for this.
In practice though I think the reduction isn't enough to be worth it. Gas tax is 12 cents less a liter on the border, but if you're there already you might as well just fill up on the other side for more meaningful savings. I'd say about half the cars I see at the Irving in Derby Line are Quebec-plated and most of them fill up a red jerry can, even with this anti-sales-leakage measure.

The beer in Ottawa would pretty much have to be priced the same as in Gatineau for it to work.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
On Saturday and Sunday afternoons, there is probably about one car a minute with newly bought beer in it and Ontario plates exiting the parking lot there. I am not really exaggerating.
Is there an amount you can freely, openly "import" into Ontario? I'd expect a six pack per person per visit at least (the amount you're allowed to bring from the USA).

It would be really weird if Quebec-Ontario had less free beer trade than Quebec-USA.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 6:13 PM
sick transit, gloria

You are actually allowed to bring back a fair amount to Ontario for personal consumption. IIRC 24 cans.

Beer prices in Quebec are similar to the U.S. - much cheaper for mass produced beer but for craft it's generally the same price as Ontario (I bring back a lot of Quebec craft when I am there).

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 6:23 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
Is there an amount you can freely, openly "import" into Ontario? I'd expect a six pack per person per visit at least (the amount you're allowed to bring from the USA).
I honestly had no idea so I did a check. It's about 25 litres.

So people who buy two cases of 24 are OK, as is someone who buys one of those cases of 55 Coors Light cans.

If you buy two cases of 55 Coors Light or more though, you're over. And tons of people do this.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 6:31 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
In practice though I think the reduction isn't enough to be worth it. Gas tax is 12 cents less a liter on the border, but if you're there already you might as well just fill up on the other side for more meaningful savings. I'd say about half the cars I see at the Irving in Derby Line are Quebec-plated and most of them fill up a red jerry can, even with this anti-sales-leakage measure.

The beer in Ottawa would pretty much have to be priced the same as in Gatineau for it to work.
Gatineau obviously also counts as the "border" for gas taxes.

The border tax reduction has resulted in us going from a situation where gas was always cheaper in Ottawa than in Gatineau, to where today it's sometimes cheaper in Ottawa, and sometimes it's cheaper in Gatineau.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 12:20 AM

Yeah, dumping sewage into the ocean isn't a problem.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 12:27 AM

HSBC will no longer finance tarsands projects, coal fired plants and other environmentally damaging projects:

http://business.financialpost.com/co...rctic-drilling

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 1:00 AM

Quote:
The border tax reduction has resulted in us going from a situation where gas was always cheaper in Ottawa than in Gatineau, to where today it's sometimes cheaper in Ottawa, and sometimes it's cheaper in Gatineau.
Case in point, 1.249 tonight in Stanstead, and 0.928 CAD @ 0.783 exchange rate tonight in Vermont. The border tax reduction is far from sufficient to make the Canadian side competitive.

(BTW, there's a 10 cent difference between Stanstead and Sherbrooke, while it's public information that they have 12 cents less in gas tax to pay, which means they're pocketing 2 cents more a liter from whoever accepts to buy gas from them (not me )).

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 2:09 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
HSBC will no longer finance tarsands projects, coal fired plants and other environmentally damaging projects:

http://business.financialpost.com/co...rctic-drilling
Whew, that was close!

Fortunately HSBC will continue to fund the construction of new coal fired generating stations in some the Port of Vancouver's key coal markets.
Quote:
LONDON — Europe’s largest bank HSBC said on Friday it would mostly stop funding new coal power plants,
HSBC said it would make an exception for coal-fired power plants in Bangladesh, Indonesia and Vietnam.
I couldn't find it in the article, but does HSBC still plan to continue to invest in offshore buyers in the Vancouver housing market?

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Whew, that was close!

Fortunately HSBC will continue to fund the construction of new coal fired generating stations in some the Port of Vancouver's key coal markets.
They don’t fuel power plants with metallurgical coal, but thanks for playing.

However it would be a great opportunity for a B.C. trade mission to those countries to sell them on the benefits of constructing some gas fired plants supplied with clean-burning, wholesome British Columbia LNG.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
No, we're a country. Free trade within a country is completely normal, Canada is a retarded exception. If the EU can do it, 28 diverse (far more so than the Canadian provinces) countries and 500 million people, then we can do it.

This shouldn't be a debate, it's completely fucking obvious how things should be, just a few vested interests need to go die.
The EU had to negociate before they could trade with eachother the way they do now. If we want that kind of trade within Canadam then the provinces should get together and negociate, not have the Federal government impose an "agreement".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada