HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 11:24 PM

That Downtown redevelopment plan is very impressive!!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 4:59 PM

Business up in Grand Falls-Windsor

Good news coming out of Central NL. I apologize for my news posting frenzy, but it's nice to see news like this...

VOCM, Nov 7, 2012

Quote:
A report on new business openings and job creation in Grand Falls-Windsor shows nearly double the business starts over the same period in 2011. As of November 1st, 44 new businesses opened their doors in Grand Falls-Windsor this year - that's up from 24 in the same period in 2011 - and those 44 new business starts mean 110 new jobs for the town. That's according to Councillor Jean Buffett-Mercer, the chair of the economic development committee. She says they include a wide variety of businesses such as restaurants, day cares , and a vet clinic. Buffett-Mercer points out these businesses are in addition to the new Kent Building Supplies outlet. She says it all adds up to more jobs for the area, possibly as many as 200 by the end of November.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...28127&latest=1

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 9:11 PM

Jeddy,

Most of the downtown project in Grand Falls-Windsor has been completed now. The area is very pedestrian friendly - the sidewalks have been completely redone with some kind of brick/stone. The lot where the old Co-op building was is now a small park with a fountain in the middle. It looks like the public rink should be in the same location as the fountain...not sure how they plan to do that. The building next to the fountain doesn't exist yet, either. While the street itself has been revitalized, there are still a lot of empty lots which should be filled. In particular, the east side of the Co-op lot is still mostly empty and the old Sobeys lot is just an interim parking lot for now. Much could be done...

And the roundabout has been here for a while. Certainly one of the star attractions of the downtown!

If you look at those photos and compare them with the photos that Google Maps street view currently has on file, you can understand the breadth of difference that has been made.

I'm in Grand Falls-Windsor this weekend (my home town) and the development over the past year is very startling given how stagnant the town has been since I was young. I'm going to try and put a photo album together of new development here over the next few days and post it here when I'm done.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 9:57 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I did a brief photo thread of Grand Falls way back in 2007, you can find it here.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=139349

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRoome View Post
Jeddy,

Most of the downtown project in Grand Falls-Windsor has been completed now. The area is very pedestrian friendly - the sidewalks have been completely redone with some kind of brick/stone. The lot where the old Co-op building was is now a small park with a fountain in the middle. It looks like the public rink should be in the same location as the fountain...not sure how they plan to do that. The building next to the fountain doesn't exist yet, either. While the street itself has been revitalized, there are still a lot of empty lots which should be filled. In particular, the east side of the Co-op lot is still mostly empty and the old Sobeys lot is just an interim parking lot for now. Much could be done...

And the roundabout has been here for a while. Certainly one of the star attractions of the downtown!

If you look at those photos and compare them with the photos that Google Maps street view currently has on file, you can understand the breadth of difference that has been made.

I'm in Grand Falls-Windsor this weekend (my home town) and the development over the past year is very startling given how stagnant the town has been since I was young. I'm going to try and put a photo album together of new development here over the next few days and post it here when I'm done.
Welcome to the forums, RRoome!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2012, 5:18 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

Architype: Quite a lot has changed since 2007; it's nice to have your photos as a comparison. In particular, there have been changes to High Street and a small addition to the hospital. I'll try and get some photos of those. Based on the frequency of posts here about development outside St John's, I think it will be best to keep the GFW posts in this thread?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2012, 6:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I spent a couple of weeks in Grand Falls-Windsor back in the late 1980's as a locum tenens in the radiology department at the hospital. I found it a typical mill town, but I rather liked it. I'm glad to see that it continues to do well.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2012, 10:39 PM

I wonder if we will ever see any High-rise development outside of St.John's?
It would be great to see a new condo or something go up in Corner brook, or even GFW, since Corner brooks one and only high-rise was built back in 1968.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyLawrenceDylan14 View Post
I wonder if we will ever see any High-rise development outside of St.John's?
It would be great to see a new condo or something go up in Corner brook, or even GFW, since Corner brooks one and only high-rise was built back in 1968.

I think the Carbonear hospital would count as a highrise! But I think it's only one of two (the other being in corner brook) outside the metro region. It would be nice to see some development in outlying areas, But I'm not sure if there is really enough growth outside of the overpass to warrant it.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 5:55 AM

Hi everyone,

Here are some photos I took while I was home this weekend. I apologize for how deserted it is...this was during Remembrance Day, so there weren't many people on the roads.

There is a surprising amount of activity in GFW lately...both in terms of public works and new housing developments (not to mention a lot of small business starts). I didn't have much time to take photos, so I apologize if I missed anything important. I will be home again before Christmas, and I will take more then.

As well, I didn't want to flood the post with photos of new subdivisions, but the rate of new house construction seems high as of late, so I may take some choice photos and show where they are on a satellite photo for reference. Enjoy!

West High Street looking East in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

Town Hall, Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

High street mural in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

Highstreet_east_looking_west_GFW_2012_small by RRoome1, on Flickr

JoeByrneStadiumHigh_GFW_2012_small by RRoome1, on Flickr

Highstreet_GFW_2012_small by RRoome1, on Flickr

Abitibi Bowater mill in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

The new riverside park, west entrance in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

Looking south on the new riverside park in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

Rotary Park in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

Rotary Park in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

Martin Greenland building in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

New houses in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

New houses in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

Provincial Youth Treatment Center in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

Provincial Youth Treatment Center in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

New industrial access road in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

New industrial access road in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

New buildings on Princess Drive in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

New intersection in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

New Kent building in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

Last edited by RRoome; Nov 13, 2012 at 2:46 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 12:34 PM

Great pics, thanks for posting!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 4:28 PM

That's great! Thanks for the pictures!

It's nice to see how the towns across the island are developing lets keep the thread alive with updates

I would love to see some highrise action in say cornerbrook or a larger municipality. I was surprised to see as many townhouses and apartment buildings (even if they are not the nicest) in Gander when I stayed there during salmon fest. I unfortunatly do not get out to other municipalities on the island often.

I would really like to see how lab city is doing or goose bay too.

a few mid-high rises in some key municipalities would be great maybe some star of the sea style condos/ apartment buildings in cornerbrook

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 4:32 PM
ハルウララ

It's great to see GFW doing well. Newfoundland definitely needs its Central and Western towns to develop and progress to their potential.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 4:46 PM

It is great to see this thread come to life again, it was pretty stagnant for a while.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 5:03 PM

Great photos, thanks for the update. Good to see areas outside the city developing! Just a suggestion, but I think Corner Brook should be taken out of the title of the thread. There should be one thread to discuss everything "outside the overpass". That way, all the people from all other communities don't feel left out, because we aren't just discussing Corner Brook.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 6:58 PM

Here are the new residences at Grenfell Campus in Corner Brook

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 3:39 AM

Just a small update on housing developments in GFW (photos I hadn't uploaded in the previous post). Some of the roads aren't named yet, but I've indicated which photos are from which roads on satellite maps. Red lines are new roads which aren't yet on google maps but are at least unpaved with water/sewer in the lots if not already finished. Orange lines are planned roads which don't exist yet. All the photos I've taken are of developments which have been accessible for the first time this summer. The yellow arrows show photos I've taken. I've included some choice photos for the post.

Also to note, the city council is developing a new 10-year plan which should be publicized very shortly. Very exciting!

For the first satellite map here, the industrial access road is marked in orange at the top left of the photo. The photo I posted yesterday with the small attached housing strips was taken from the vantage of the new road in the bottom left. Extensive development is underway near Ivany's Road in the top right (The "Corduroy" subdivision).

New Roads Map 1 in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

New Road 1 looking south in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

The second satellite map shows the Harmsworth Drive subdivision.
EDIT: According to google maps (no primary sources), New Road 2 is Harmsworth Drive extension and the Orange road in this map will be Northcliffe Street.

New Roads Map 2 in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

New Road 2 looking east in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

New Road 3 looking east in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

Hatt Place looking east in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

The third satellite map shows the Grenfell Estates subdivision. I wasn't able to get any photos this time around, unfortunately. The blue road is proposed, however there is a house in the way. It looks like future development is poised to keep moving east behind Grenfell Heights.

New Roads Map 3 in Grand Falls-Windsor by RRoome1, on Flickr

Last edited by RRoome; Nov 15, 2012 at 2:07 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 2:44 PM

Lots happening in GFW! it's great!!

great pics and maps nice to see the town expanding and that they are going to organize it

GFW Business Starts Doubled

Quote:
Grand Falls-Windsor is celebrating a banner year. Just last week the town announced that business starts have doubled as of Nov. 1 over the same period last year. Numbers on residential and commercial development have doubled, too. As of last month, the total dollar value of permits issued was just over $50- million. The total was $25-million for the same period in 2011. Residentially, that means some 93 units so far this year, with another 9 in review. Mayor Al Hawkins says it's been an exceptional year; he hopes the town maintains that level of growth into 2013.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=28308

With a population of 13,725 as of 2011, Hopefully it will continue to grow and maybe one day it could actually apply for city status! gander is not that far away either with that airport, so this could become very interesting in the coming years! It is the next largest municipality after Corner Brook outside the St. John's Metro Area.

It would be nice to have another small city or larger municipality outside of the Avalon (along with Corner Brook) then they could even build more hotels etc and maybe some taller structures

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 6:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Excellent pictures, thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 6:22 PM

So, I was looking at the region and GFW has 13,725 people and Bishop Falls has 3,341

They are very close to each other and if the town continues to expand they will probably become neighbours like SJ/Mt. Pearl. if they were to amalgamate right now they would have a combined population of 17,066 people

Corner Brook only has 19,886 ...

if these two communities stick together and continue to grow we could very well have another small city forming. Just need to develop some more density in the middle of GFW

(I might be playing simcity here but it's a possibility for the future)

not to mention the large growth in Gander, which could also be a sizable community in the future

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces