HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 1:34 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

so everything will be completed and still nothing done on the westernmost section of the yards? lol!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 1:42 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
so everything will be completed and still nothing done on the westernmost section of the yards? lol!
I was just thinking that about phase 2. But look at it this way that if phase 1 is giving us all this, I can imagine the rest of the yards will be just as big.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 1:47 AM

I was thinking more or less the same thing. My understanding is that Phase II will in fact cover the western edge of the tracks. MAybe the total-residentials (if IIRC the Big Four are partial) won't be as tall; but the architecture and the nature areas will certainly be nice

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 2:33 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^
If my understandings okay, phase 2 will be mostly residential or will it continue the commercial space that phase 1 compromises of? I'm thinking residential? I was trying to research it but couldn't find enough information on phase 2. I just know that the whole project compromises of a potential of 15/16 towers. I'm assuming they will continue the trend of mix used.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 3:18 AM
Fake News

I've followed this development from afar for awhile but never seen that rendering with all the buildings from over the water. It looks like they are all on an elevated platform. Is that the case? I would think for supertalls they would need supports going to bedrock no? Sorry if this has been covered, my first time posting to this thread.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 7:40 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I've followed this development from afar for awhile but never seen that rendering with all the buildings from over the water. It looks like they are all on an elevated platform.
Is that the case? I would think for supertalls they would need supports going to bedrock no? Sorry if this has been covered, my first time posting to this thread.

The buildings go into the ground. Only two of those towers in the render are also on the platform. Also interestingly, only the western half of the platform will be higher
than street level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro
My understanding is that Phase II will in fact cover the western edge of the tracks. MAybe the total-residentials (if IIRC the Big Four are partial) won't be as tall;
but the architecture and the nature areas will certainly be nice

Check out the maps on the previous page. They show exactly what will go where.

There have been renderings of the entire complex, both sides of the railyards, since the beginning. The eastern half of the complex is the only one where there are official designs,
that's what you are looking at here:

The placeholders are what you see in every other rendering that shows more towers...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 9:25 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Ah, thank so much for clarifying that question NYGUY. OK perfect as the placeholders versus the official designs is what was the misunderstanding. This is the only project going up in the city that I was always a little confused on. Appreciate it friend.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 5:02 PM
New Yorker for life

A throwback look at some of the planned phasing...things have changed a lot since then.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 5:10 PM

The plot they're calling "West Tower" (WC-1 in the above massing) in phase 2 has a massive footprint, and it's office. I hope they go with something iconic instead of the likely run-of-the-mill midtown box.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 6:58 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Indeed, that tower will likely end up rivaling 30HY or 50HY in size/height, IMO.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 9:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Indeed, that tower will likely end up rivaling 30HY or 50HY in size/height, IMO.
Depends which way they go with it. It has a massive footprint, which could make for larger floorplates. The larger the floorplates, the shorter the tower will be. So we'll have to wait and see. It's stipulated that the tallest towers be on the eastern half of the site, but that could change as well.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 9:54 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Depends which way they go with it. It has a massive footprint, which could make for larger floorplates. The larger the floorplates, the shorter the tower will be. So we'll have to wait and see. It's stipulated that the tallest towers be on the eastern half of the site, but that could change as well.

If the floorplates go small enough/they add some sort of crown maybe it could top the North Towers 1227 feet.

I'm not getting my hopes up and that might actually look a little weird but I think it's safe to say this tower will be beyond 1000'

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 10:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Since we're going down memory lane, another look back at how far we've come...

My height estimates based on information from the planning process. The buildings could be at least this tall. As we've already seen though,
Related reserves the right to shake things up a bit as far as designs and heights go.

So far, I'd say what we are getting is a big step up.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 11:01 PM

Hmm. I like that two-towered residential-looking structure in the foreground, the one that's labeled 710 and 810. That's not still part of the plan is it? If not then too bad, because I'm a little worried this development succumbs to an all-glass monotony - need to get some other materials and textures in there.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Incandenza View Post
Hmm. I like that two-towered residential-looking structure in the foreground, the one that's labeled 710 and 810. That's not still part of the plan is it? If not then too bad, because I'm a little worried this development succumbs to an all-glass monotony - need to get some other materials and textures in there.
35 Hudson Yards will have a combination stone-glass facade. It's too early to say but given the models they've show it looks like they'll go with that for 50 and 55 Hudson Yards as well.

55 Hudson Yards is behind 35.

50 is to the left of 30.

it still would be great to get a tower or two fully clad in limestone like 220 CPS or 30 Park Place

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Since we're going down memory lane, another look back at how far we've come...

So far, I'd say what we are getting is a big step up.
Does anyone else think that the one labeled 800 looks pretty similar to 111w57?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 4:28 AM
New Yorker for life

^ A little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Incandenza View Post
Hmm. I like that two-towered residential-looking structure in the foreground, the one that's labeled 710 and 810. That's not still part of the plan is it? If not then too bad,
because I'm a little worried this development succumbs to an all-glass monotony - need to get some other materials and textures in there.

That two towered structure is the one that will have the school at it's base.

Here's a tighter view of the site plan...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 2:03 PM
don't *meddle*...

15 buildings planned
1 under construction
4 breaking ground in 2014

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:13 PM

4 breaking ground in 2014 - gotta get cracking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
15 buildings planned
1 under construction
4 breaking ground in 2014

Video Link
Thank you: that ~week old video is a short AND informative watch.

There are less than 10 months left in 2014 & so far, AFAIK, the "ground breaking" for 30 HY has been the test pits/template holes dug.

This Hardcore Shutterbug photo from Feb 28th shows activity at the west side of the the 30 HY site. Could be the LIRR is doing track changes rquired to enable Tutor-Perini to drill through the test pits between the tracks. Maybe...
Photo is looking west from just west of the still-intact LIRR control tower/electrical substation. The concrete & green stell ramp behind the truck leads up to 33rd St and is across 33rd from the eastern side of Hudson Blvd. The few story building behind that is the #7 subway vent building that will be overbuilt by 55 Hudson Yards.

Hardcore Shutterbug/flickr

Last edited by vkristof; Mar 5, 2014 at 4:43 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 7:51 PM
DENNAB

Why do US. office building always have enormous amounts of empty space at the top/bigger than necessary mechanical floors? Are people still scared of super high offices? It's like 1WTC... c'mon people, 9/11 is ancient history.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive