HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 1:28 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
Sorry, I was under the impression you were making light of the recent riots by calling it "partying," and in doing so making more fun of the poor use of the english language on this forum.
Sorry, I'm not that witty, or clever, or sober for that matter.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Sorry, I'm not that witty, or clever, or sober for that matter.
It's a sunday morning. Drinking already?

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 1:52 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
It's a sunday morning. Drinking already?
Who said I was drinking? I may not be sober, but I certainly ain't drunk.

There are many a ways for one to get fucked up. I'll show you one day.

I like how this thread got veered off course by trolls and haters. Now its my turn to mess this place up.

Stu, what you waitin' for?

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
i honestly can't think of another city that in recent history has built consistently-boring office towers to the extent of Toronto.
That's because only a handful of cities have been building as much as Toronto has in the past 10 years. With more buildings, it's easier to find examples of boring ones.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 1:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
You know, I was about to, but I was too busy partying on the streets of the cultural capitol.
Bada-Bing!!!

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echowinds View Post
Tall, the problem is your statement is just that - a bunch of statements. They don't really convey anything meaningful in the context of the current discussion.

There's one party led by dleung here that suggests Melbourne and Sydney, despite being smaller cities in both absolute and relative terms compared to Toronto, have more impressive architecture in their office buildings. The other group on the other hand suggests that Toronto does in fact have nice buildings and that it matches up, and it various cases compare favourably to those Australian cities.

But financial Capitol indeed, which totally makes complete sense!
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
That's because only a handful of cities have been building as much as Toronto has in the past 10 years. With more buildings, it's easier to find examples of boring ones.
Where are all the other interesting office towers from which I picked this lineup of boring ones?

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 3:00 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Where are all the other interesting office towers from which I picked this lineup of boring ones?

Of the towers in the first post, only 8 Chifley and 111 Eagle St. are to be envied. The others are nice and all...but nothing special. Though, using your deceptive photo-picking skills, I can certainly see how you make your case.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 3:08 AM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post
Hrmm not exactly. I didn't wet my pants and gush over the ROM addition in Toronto for the same reason. Won't be long before people look it at and go WTF were they thinking (some already do).

Back to the Aussie proposal...just stop and look at this thing for awhile and try to make sense of what's going on. Looks like the architect came up with a design then decided to tac on as much different looking crap as he could for no ryhme or reason.

An example done properly, albeit a lot smaller than the one in Melbourne, would be the Ryerson Student Centre U/C in Toronto. Tame and different enough at the same time that you can really appreciate it. Everything serves a purpose rather than just solely trying to be different.

http://www.modto.com/ryerson-univers...earning-centre
This thread is a Sun News Article gone bad with a viral comment section. I have a feeling, many people know their stuff, but instead got off on some weird hate tangent cause by the usual suspects.

Its is actually getting predictable what will happen with each of these weird threads.

Architecture is highly influenced by context. It is NEVER going to look all the same or meet each persons aesthetic ideology. That is what makes things interesting. Every city has a different evolution and I could honestly live in any one of them. I think the Australians should be proud of their architecture.

Nice stuff.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 4:57 AM

Toronto's recent office tower buildin is fairly boring. The thing that really gets me about all the office and condo construction is Toronto is the colour, namely blue.

Does every new building in Toronto have to be blue glass? This is why CityPlace and the area looks so damn monotonous. This is the dame as South of Union where everything is blue glass. It looks very uninviying.

Has blue {and green for that matter} glass become the new commie-block of the 21st century?

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 4:59 AM

hehe, very true, Vancouver has become the city of never ending blue and green glass, while Toronto looks like a sea of grey and blue.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Toronto's recent office tower buildin is fairly boring. The thing that really gets me about all the office and condo construction is Toronto is the colour, namely blue.

Does every new building in Toronto have to be blue glass? This is why CityPlace and the area looks so damn monotonous. This is the dame as South of Union where everything is blue glass. It looks very uninviying.

Has blue {and green for that matter} glass become the new commie-block of the 21st century?
Without resorting to Pomo examples, can you please show us what other colours of glass we should be building our modern towers with? We have pretty much every shade of blue, green, clear, dark to the point of almost black, white, as well as many multi-coloured buildings using reds, purples, yellows, etc.

Aaaaannnnnddddd...... go.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 9:50 PM

Architecture in both Toronto and Vancouver have way more pressing issues than the colour of their glass. Oddly enough, ssiguy's ridiculous comment have been echoed by many others about Vancouver, yet have gone unchallenged.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 11:34 PM

New additions to the lineup of built and up-coming office towers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyronin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung
*posts 100 Adelaide along with a bunch of mid-rises and stale renders
I guess I was a lot more thorough than I thought.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
*posts 100 Adelaide along with a bunch of mid-rises and stale renders
I wouldn't call MaRS II stale nor midrise as it's under construction and over 100 metres tall. However, if we're going to include it as an office tower (and I would given that it's a building where people predominately go to work) we'd also have to include the Sick Kids Research Tower, which is also box, albeit with some pretty groovy atria.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 12:05 AM

This project is still preliminary according to LeftCoaster:

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 12:06 AM

MaRS II isn't exactly anything near the level of the examples from the first page (if anything QRC west is at least more interesting structurally), but I couldn't be bothered to point out once again how low people's standards have become.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
MaRS II isn't exactly anything near the level of the examples from the first page
Nor did I say it was (though I am a big fan of it). I'm just interested in cataloguing all the office towers that have gone or will go up during this boom. It's interesting to see them all side by side.

Just realized I forgot about this recent proposal for the Entertainment District:

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 2:42 AM
gettin' rich!

i like that proposal. Just not sure how viable it is in the far reaches of the Entertainment District.

It along with the Queen-Richmond proposal might take a while to get going.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 6:56 PM

This is Doha, in Qatar. Are these designs something that Toronto would envy? It's all subjective, but I'd take a couple of those towers for Vancity.

http://www.constructionweekonline.co...%20skyline.gif

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 7:14 PM

Most of those towers are horrible! I like the twisting one and the finger trap though, they are decent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada