HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 6:04 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_deguzman10 View Post
I agree motorsport, this proposal contains 450 apartments and hotel rooms. But it's also good to remember that it might not be condos and large hotel rooms, it could be standard one or two bedrooms like the Sawyer, and they were able to fit in 45 condos in 4 stories. However, at the same time the sawyer is much longer than The Metropolitan. Taking both into consideration, I would actually expect at minimum, 30 stories purely residential and around 20 stories for the hotel. So on the contrary, I would expect the Metropolitan to easily become the tallest building in Sac and I think it'll reach at least 450 ft if not 500 ft... who knows it could even reach 600 ft?!
You guys are far too optimistic on the height. I recently underwrote a 400-room luxury box that was only 16 stories tall in a similar market to Sac on a similarly sized parcel. At a 500 SqFt per bay and a very low 80% efficiency, you're looking at an average floorplate betwwn 6,000 and 7,000 SqFt if it's 20 stories. That's a tall spindle. The parcels in play here can support a floorplate twice that size or more.

For perspective, the Sheraton Grand has over 500 rooms on about 24 floors. Also, the Sawyer has like 250 rooms on 8 floors. That seems a decent comparison as well.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
You guys are far too optimistic on the height. I recently underwrote a 400-room luxury box that was only 16 stories tall in a similar market to Sac on a similarly sized parcel. At a 500 SqFt per bay and a very low 80% efficiency, you're looking at an average floorplate betwwn 6,000 and 7,000 SqFt if it's 20 stories. That's a tall spindle. The parcels in play here can support a floorplate twice that size or more.

For perspective, the Sheraton Grand has over 500 rooms on about 24 floors. Also, the Sawyer has like 250 rooms on 8 floors. That seems a decent comparison as well.
I’m not going to speculate on the height because I know once the details come out we may be disappointed - or worse the project altogether could fizzle out. The height will depend on the design, largely, and how much capital SKK and Saca are willing to spend. At minimum we are looking at a height similar to the Sawyer or the Sheraton.

If it goes beyond that limit it will be all gravy.

Last edited by Pistola916; Jul 18, 2018 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 5:25 PM

So.... what is the update on the Hyatt hotel next to G1C? Summer is almost over with no signs of construction. What about the kings projects on 8th and K?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
So.... what is the update on the Hyatt hotel next to G1C? Summer is almost over with no signs of construction. What about the kings projects on 8th and K?
The same is happening with the Paragary hotel? The guy has left a hole in the ground with no sign of actual construction. He should have kept those businesses open until work begins. And he doesn't have a hotel brand lined up either. Geez.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 4:24 PM

Projects Update

Here are some photo's showing some progress for a few projects around the city from the Sacramento Business Journal: https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...tml#g/439077/1

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 2:31 PM

Any talk about converting the Hotel Senator office building back into a hotel? What a waste of a beautiful building, optimal for a boutique hotel. My father worked there for years back in the days when Sacramento had a real downtown and the Senator was the crown jewel of Sacramento hotels. At least someone should open up the veranda into a welcoming restaurant/public space.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 3:49 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:

Vanir Tower: their original proposal didn’t work, and I really do agree with their mixed use proposal, it diversified the building and the profits it makes. I expect it to start around the time of the Me

301 Cap: ok this is the one I’m really confuzzled about. CIM said they wanted to start the project ASAP but no formal proposal was submitted according to redefining the core, so idek if the project will be built. We’ll see tho, office rates are rising and vacancies are down. I expect this project to be built, at best, 2021 or never as a worst case scenario.
I wouldn’t hold my breath for CalPERS/CIM or Vanir highrises. CalPERS has had the perfect market conditions to get a mixed use project going and there’s just no visible interest by them to develop that site to say nothing of their long promised “iconic building”.

In any case I’m over my infatuation with skyscrapers. Yeah they look nice but what is most important for creating a vibrat city is building higher densities in the central core (downtown and midtown) and along RT Light Rail. If that can be accomplished with midrises like 19J or Yamanee then i’m good with that. We definitely need housing construction to get underway in the rail yard soon. It goes unsaid we need more low and middle income rentals but I think the state will have to bring back the Housing and Redevelopment Agency to make that happen. I’m curious how steel tariffs will affect some of these proposals?

Last edited by urban_encounter; Aug 12, 2018 at 11:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 3:45 AM

With the new 601 Capitol proposal, if it happens, when do we think it could break ground?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c01 View Post
With the new 601 Capitol proposal, if it happens, when do we think it could break ground?
I'm expecting a groundbreaking around 1st or 2nd quarter 2019, presuming that the housing market doesn't slow down like it is right now.

While I am happy that 162 units are being built, I am really disappointed with the height of the building, especially in a prime location. Let's hope that the architecture makes up for the height and represents Sacramento as a whole. It's great that something is getting built there at least, because had the city kept with the 25 story proposal nothing would have been built there for at least a decade or so.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 3:38 PM

Quote:
I'm expecting a groundbreaking around 1st or 2nd quarter 2019, presuming that the housing market doesn't slow down like it is right now.

While I am happy that 162 units are being built, I am really disappointed with the height of the building, especially in a prime location. Let's hope that the architecture makes up for the height and represents Sacramento as a whole. It's great that something is getting built there at least, because had the city kept with the 25 story proposal nothing would have been built there for at least a decade or so.
This is entirely the city’s fault. They changed the zoning to allow a smaller development there, and are now complaining the structure isn’t tall enough. I was also expecting the number of stories to be in the low teens.

I don’t think it will break ground until 2020 because it still needs to go to Planning and it does take another year after that before construction starts.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 11:57 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:

There was a photo of the proposal on SacBee.com. For eight stories I think it looks very nice.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 5:44 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
There was a photo of the proposal on SacBee.com. For eight stories I think it looks very nice.
I would settle for 12-15 story range but 8? Not that spot

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 2:54 AM

Saw this on Ben van der Meer’s Twitter:

Quote:
For something to chew on this weekend, rendering of a new project planned in midtown Sacramento. Details Monday.
I also saw a quick view of some plans for project by a prominent area developer. I am not sure if it’s the same as the above (they look a little different but have roughly the same number of floors). Based on what I saw, it would also be downtown or midtown. Exciting times.

Oh yeah, this is my 1000th post! It only took 13 years.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
Saw this on Ben van der Meer’s Twitter:

I also saw a quick view of some plans for project by a prominent area developer. I am not sure if it’s the same as the above (they look a little different but have roughly the same number of floors). Based on what I saw, it would also be downtown or midtown. Exciting times.

Oh yeah, this is my 1000th post! It only took 13 years.
Congrats on your 1000th post dude! And Ik they haven’t given a location and stuff yet but I have a feeling it’s the D&S development at the abandoned Ballet Building in midtown.

As for the look, tbh I don’t really like it. I like the style but the colors j make it dark and I don’t think it resembles Sacramento that well. On the positive side tho, I like the story count at 8 (from what I can see) this is where mid rises belong “cough Shorenstein cough”

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 3:47 AM

I am thinking the same thing. However, that “quick view” of plans for a building that I saw... well, it was from Bay Miry’s Snapchat story. He’s the head honcho at D&S Development, which (as you mentioned) owns that ballet building on 17th and K. So it seems like they could be the same building. However, here’s the interesting thing: while both pictures show buildings of a similar height, they don’t look exactly the same. Therefore, we could have two new 8ish-story proposals to talk about. Exciting!

I was able to grab a screenshot of Bay Miry’s Snapchat, but I’m not sure if I should post or not. It might help to have another set of eyes compare the two pics.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Congrats on your 1000th post dude! And Ik they haven’t given a location and stuff yet but I have a feeling it’s the D&S development at the abandoned Ballet Building in midtown.

As for the look, tbh I don’t really like it. I like the style but the colors j make it dark and I don’t think it resembles Sacramento that well. On the positive side tho, I like the story count at 8 (from what I can see) this is where mid rises belong “cough Shorenstein cough”
Yes, I believe you’re right about the location being at 17th and K. I like the colors and the height is ideal for the site. What I dislike is the ground floor is too dark.

Hopefully, a developer will have the balls to develop the parking lots next door at 16th and J and K streets. It wouldn’t shock me if Nikky Mohanna proposes a 12-15 story mid-rise as her next project sometime next year.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
I am thinking the same thing. However, that “quick view” of plans for a building that I saw... well, it was from Bay Miry’s Snapchat story. He’s the head honcho at D&S Development, which (as you mentioned) owns that ballet building on 17th and K. So it seems like they could be the same building. However, here’s the interesting thing: while both pictures show buildings of a similar height, they don’t look exactly the same. Therefore, we could have two new 8ish-story proposals to talk about. Exciting!

I was able to grab a screenshot of Bay Miry’s Snapchat, but I’m not sure if I should post or not. It might help to have another set of eyes compare the two pics.
I heard Bay is proposing an 8-story hotel and apartment tower at 7th and I. Maybe that’s it.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/ne...212297119.html

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
I heard Bay is proposing an 8-story hotel and apartment tower at 7th and I. Maybe that’s it.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/ne...212297119.html
I think maybe you're right. The picture that I grabbed from Snapchat does look like it is in Downtown. Plus, the more I look at it, the more I think these are two different plans.

I'm gonna go ahead and post it. What do you think...are these the same project or different?

As for the "other" project (let's assume the site is 17th and K streets), I like the darkness of it. First of all, it's mostly in that one corner. Second, the light and dark pick up the light and dark of the CVS building across 17th street, and clash (in a good way) with clown-colored apartment project across K street. Thirdly, the styling has a sort of a natural, woody, SMUD headquarters 50s vibe to it. I like it nearly as much as the 1220 H Street project that was proposed 2-3 months back.

Last edited by snfenoc; Aug 18, 2018 at 5:04 AM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 7:01 PM

P street project webcam is live

Webcam
https://app.oxblue.com/open/turner/nnrhproject

You can follow the project here
http://sacrbr.aecomonline.net/default.htm

Interesting note is official groundbreaking is September 20th. The tower will stand 22 stories and 343 feet tall.

Last edited by Pistola916; Aug 19, 2018 at 8:53 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:04 AM

Quote:
On the positive side tho, I like the story count at 8 (from what I can see) this is where mid rises belong “cough Shorenstein cough”
Do you guys think there's any chance Shorenstein will still revise their 8-story plans? Or do you think the renderings essentially solidify their decision?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area