HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:16 AM
Show me the blueprints

^Nice lighting. Bad flooring.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:32 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
That signage looks great...very tasteful. So many signage/branding attempts fail because they are over-designed and the end result is tacky- this is not one of those situations. A perfect example of restraint and "less-is-more" approach. Very nice.
Agreed. I think The Urbanophile had a similar idea once for Indy. The font choice for the streets is a little run-of-the-mill; it's just basic Clearview like any recent interstate sign. This just bolsters the sign's functionality, though.

I love the blade quality of the Grand Center signs, too. They're not ginormous; the size is pretty tasteful. Hopefully drivers will slow down a little bit if they need to read the signs. Plus, with a smaller size they create less of an impact on the public realm and bring the focus back to the architecture, the streetscaping, and the activity.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 7:36 PM
Proud Homer!

$1.5-million cobblestone street project for LaClede's Landing

Laclede's Landing in St. Louis to get street work
BY TIM BRYANT
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Thursday, September 1, 2011

Jeff and Laura Stewart from Hillsboro cross Second Street while visiting Laclede's Landing in St. Louis on Friday, Aug. 26, 2011.

ST. LOUIS • Drivers on Laclede's Landing will get some relief from the pounding their vehicles take as they bounce along the entertainment district's decaying cobblestone streets.

Federal money will cover most of the $1.46 million cost of removing cobblestones, rebuilding deteriorated street bases and resetting the "really, really old and really, really hard" pavers, said John Clark, president of the Laclede's Landing Redevelopment Corp.

"You have to know how to drive down here," said Nick Pizzo, a deliveryman for Royal Papers.

He parked his delivery truck Friday on Morgan Street to unload janitorial supplies onto a two-wheeled dolly.

"Cobblestone is not a good thing to wheel on, drive on or walk on," said Pizzo, 30, of Affton.

AFRAM Corp. and Arcturis are engineering and designing the project, which will include resetting brick sidewalks and redoing intersections with wheelchair curb ramps to more fully comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Engineering work will begin soon, but construction won't take place until fall 2012.

The project will cover Second Street between Washington Avenue and Morgan, and First Street between Washington and Lucas Avenue, Clark said. Construction will be put off until after next summer to avoid disrupting the sidewalk seating areas of Second Street bars and restaurants.

Ryan Loeffler, co-owner of Big Daddy's sports bar and head of the Landing's merchants association, said the street work is needed.

(Read More)

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 3:55 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

huh. maybe this will encourage some new development in the landing? it's sparsity is a little embarrassing. R.I.P. Switzer building.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 10:56 PM
Proud Homer!

Lambert-St. Louis International Airport

The newly-renovated Concourse C reopened at Lambert-St. Louis International Airport yesterday almost a year-to-the-day of the Good Friday Tornado of April 2011, which caused $60-million dollars in damage at the airport. It's reopening just in time for the big NRA Convention next week.

Lambert's Concourses A and C had been under renovation when the tornado hit last year. After a $35-million renovation, according to the mayor, Concourse C is pretty spiffy.

Although minor construction touch-ups need to be completed, the terminal boasts a brighter and cleaner look. The renovation includes new digital flight and directory boards, bag claim area renovation, a new TSA checkpoint, new art work, cloud lighting, new restaurants and retail, new flooring, new seating, bathroom renovations, new windows, new carpeting, new signage, flat screen televisions, exhibit/display cases, etc.

The pictures below are from one of my favorite St. Louis blogs, Countondowntown.com. Check out more great photos here. And check out the KMOV gallery here.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch City View Post
It's reopening just in time for the big NRA Convention next week.
well shoot...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
well shoot...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I've heard people from E-W Gateway (St. Louis' MPO) and CMT (a local transit advocacy group) say St. Louis could potentially get one more light rail line by 2020, but after that we would be tapped out.

Personally I dont see it happening unless we get more funding from the state of Missouri (very strong rural/urban divide in this state) or the Feds decide to change their policies on public transit funding (not too hopeful).
Well , the Illinois side a different story, whereas the state of Illinois is fairly pro-rapid transit. So, there is a potential for another line on the east side, although Madison County isn't as supportive as St. Clair .

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 2:52 AM
Proud Homer!

Here are more photos from Concourse C's reopening from yesterday. The Clydesdale horses are as representative of St. Louis as The Gateway Arch and beer. A Clydesdale was on hand to greet passengers deplaning in Concourse C.

By the way, I love Rhonda Hamm-Niebruegge, who is the airport's director. Well-spoken, smart, always professional and classy, but most of all productive; and she's bigger than most of male bosses. Sometimes I can't believe she's from St. Louis.

Last edited by Arch City; Apr 4, 2012 at 1:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 2:54 AM

It looks good! Talk about, "Welcome to St. Louis!"

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 3:34 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch City View Post

By the way, I love Rhonda Hamm-Niebruegge, who is the airport's director. Well-spoken, smart, always professional and classy, but most of all productive; and she's bigger than most of male bosses. Sometimes I can't believe she's from St. Louis.
I think I have a slight MILF crush on her. She should run for Mayor. What is she, 6'1" in heels?

They should let a Clydesdale roam free in Lambert at all times.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 3:42 AM

This photo is hilarious, people bored out of their mind or worse waiting for a flight with all of those colorful balloons bobbing around.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 1:29 PM
Proud Homer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
I think I have a slight MILF crush on her. She should run for Mayor. What is she, 6'1" in heels?
MILF? WTF? LOL!! She is a big woman. I believe she's of German descent. She's likely easy to make positive persuasive arguments and promotions for Lambert not just because of her intelligence and competence, but because she's a big woman, and that isn't to ridicule her either.

Quote:
They should let a Clydesdale roam free in Lambert at all times.
I like the Clydesdales, but Lambert is rebounding with a fresh new look. It doesn't need horses - albeit pretty ones - stinking up the place.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 8:52 PM
Proud Homer!

Loop Trolley will resemble old St. Louis streetcar system

Loop Trolley will resemble old St. Louis streetcar system
BY MARGARET GILLERMAN
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Wednesday, April 4, 2012 1:00 am

Looking east on Delmar Boulevard from University City.

UNIVERSITY CITY The Loop Trolley project, having amassed almost all the $43 million it needs, is ready to move into high gear.

Construction is expected to begin late this year, with the trolleys in operation about a year later.

When completed, the 2.2-mile system connecting the Delmar Loop to Forest Park will look a lot like the system that ran on St. Louis streets a half-century ago.

In a big change of plans, old, renovated streetcars will be used instead of pricier electric/battery cars. And the system will be powered by overhead electric lines running above Delmar Boulevard and DeBaliviere Avenue, like St. Louis' old streetcar system.

"It really is back to the future, and an opportunity for the future," says Joe Edwards, the Loop entrepreneur who conceived the idea for streetcars in 1997, then helped to execute it. "St. Louis will be one of the leaders."

Two of the streetcars that will be used are on display — one on Delmar in the Loop and another outside the Missouri History Museum on Lindell Boulevard in Forest Park. Together, they cost about $600,000. Officials say hybrid battery/electric cars are about three times more expensive than renovated cars.

Except for some continued private fundraising over the next several weeks, the largely federally funded project has the money it needsfor the design and construction of the system, and purchase and renovation of the streetcars.

The funding includes a $25 million federal Urban Circulator grant earmarked for projects like this; $6 million from other federal sources; $3.5 million in tax-increment financing from St. Louis; $3.5 million in federal New Markets tax credits; and up to $5 million in private donations.

Aerial of East (Delmar) Loop area

Route Map

Last edited by Arch City; Apr 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 1:40 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I see on the map that the loop crosses paths with MetroLink in a couple different places--will passengers be able to transfer between the two systems?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 2:06 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
I see on the map that the loop crosses paths with MetroLink in a couple different places--will passengers be able to transfer between the two systems?
nope, they're operated by two different groups and fares will not be integrated. one of the biggest complaints is that this trolley will essentially be a theme park ride for tourists. the other big issue (aside from not using modern cars) is that a significant portion of the route will be single-tracked, likely leading to inefficient (transit-wise) lead-times between cars. i don't know how i feel about it yet. joe edwards is an exceptional developer and has made the loop the vibrant neighborhood that it is today. i just hope he knows what he's doing in this case, because this is a LOT of money to spend and infrastructure to build on something that might just bomb and sour people to the idea of further street car expansion.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 2:18 AM

I didn't realize part of it would be single tracked. Yikes...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 4:20 AM
Proud Homer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
i just hope he knows what he's doing in this case, because this is a LOT of money to spend and infrastructure to build on something that might just bomb and sour people to the idea of further street car expansion.
It won't sour people if Metro (Bi-State) educates people properly about the difference between the systems. If Metro informs people that the Loop trolley is a separate entity - like Madison County Transit (MCT) or St. Charles Area Transit (SCAT) - there should be no problem. Education would be the key.

I like the idea of a modern street car better, but I also understand the nostalgia surrounding getting St. Louis Car Company cars back on the streets. If SF, Philly, Chicago, NY and other cities still have them in use, why not St. Louis? I totally get it, but I hope the "trolley" idea just stays in The Loop and doesn't graduate to other corridors. God no! St. Louis should be moving forward, not backwards.

With that said, the trolley should have gone down Delmar to Kingshighway then back up to the Missouri History Museum along Lindell to DeBaliviere then back to Delmar to the Loop. There would have been potential for more development - especially along east Delmar (Barack Obama Boulevard).

My other complaint is that I don't think it will generate much new development except along the East Loop and DeBaliviere. While Delmar east could use more infills - especially residential - I don't see the line sparking that much new development. The area definitely needs a boost, but it is practically 75-%- 80% built out, I think. Washington University's new plan is definitely going to help build it out even more.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 4:28 AM

^I thought this was going to be a straight up Trolley on a track. The Trollies in Chicago have wheels and are pretty much Buses. I wouldn't compare this to that, if my understanding is correct. The Chicago trollies are also used for tourism, and bar and club hopping tours. I've seen them run right in front of my apartment. I had an idea in my head that this was actually going to be used to get people around town for whatever they needed.

I'm not sure about all the other cities (San Fran and New Orleans are the ones I obviously know about).

I found this site after browsing this thread, and I think it might be helpful. I believe it only includes running trolley systems, and future systems, including the loop trolley in St. Louis:

http://www.railwaypreservation.com/v...agetrolley.htm

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 4:41 AM
Proud Homer!

Quote:
I didn't realize part of it would be single tracked. Yikes...
I think single-tracked is good. But I think it will be double-tracked on one part of the line. Remember, this is a "tourist" trap and very localized line likely to be serving tourists and some students mostly. Locals will use it, but not as much as students and tourists, in my opinion.

I think they needed to maintain current levels of auto traffic along Delmar. If you look at the photos, the medians are toast. The line will follow the medians and turning lanes.

Last edited by Arch City; Apr 5, 2012 at 4:51 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation