HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 1:43 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota74 View Post
Great thread,keep em coming!
Thanks! I'd planned to go get some more photos today, but it turned out to be way too humid for my taste.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 6:43 AM
A gruff individual.

Wherein I attend a festival under false pretenses.

So, considering that he is Black, perhaps it should not have come as a surprise to me that my boyfriend wanted to attend the annual Goombay Festival, which is Asheville's Afro-Caribbean festival. It's held every year in The Block, the heart of downtown's historic Black business district. The Block is one of the very few areas of downtown yet to experience the renaissance that has brought the rest of the area roaring back to life. Thus, not only is the festival held to celebrate the contributions made to the city and region by African-Americans, it's an attempt to bring The Block back to life.

There's been some success... I can remember when The Block was an area you didn't dare visit, day or night, whereas now there are a number of popular restaurants in the area and a museum housed in the building that was originally home to what may have been the very first Black community center in America. There's still quite a ways to go, however.

All in all, it was a small and mellow, manageable festival. I enjoyed it, my boyfriend and I found a couple of bitchin' masks to add to our small -- but growing -- collection, and I even ran into a friend whom I haven't seen for months. Then, oddly, my boyfriend insisted on coming home and cooking supper. This was strange because he's as much of a restaurant fiend as I am; there's nothing we like more than to eat a good, hot meal prepared by someone else in a kitchen we won't have to clean. He was very adamant about coming home to cook and eventually I gave in. Meh. We had leftover ceviche to go along with the shrimp and rice he wanted to cook. It would save money.

Lies. All lies, as you will see later.

But first, Goombay!

If you're interested, you can watch this year's opening parade.

Video Link

Video Link

The Block lies in the shadow of Asheville's government buildings: the county courthouse, city hall, and the old public market building that now houses the headquarters of the police and fire departments.

The weather was absolutely perfect. All we got from Hurricane Irene over on this side of the state was a good stiff breeze that kept the heat down and a gorgeous pattern of clouds that danced and changed all day long.

Over on Biltmore Avenue, construction of the Aloft Hotel is moving right along.

No idea whatsoever.

If you're ever in town, I recommend the salt fish and collard greens served here.

A friend of mine. Haven't seen her in practically forever. You may, but almost certainly don't, remember her from our photographic jaunt through an abandoned factory building downtown last August.

Nothing attracts the street proselytizers like a street festival. This one seemed a little less self-righteous than they usually are, however. He had the decency to erase the Y and admit he wasn't perfect. That's -- sadly -- a big step forward. Nobody was paying him any attention.

In the opening parade of the festival, which wound its way through downtown on Friday, a few of these guys went walking along atop their very high stilts. I was impressed when this guy came trotting up the street as comfy on his stilts as you would be barefoot. On his stilts, he stood about nine feet tall.

Unfortunately, when I take crowd shots, I try to take 'em quick. The background usually ends up tilted.

In another recent thread, someone mentioned that the South is home to a ridiculous number of extremely attractive young men and women. Allow me to present Exhibit A.

Stilting right along.

So, we'd had our fun and I suggested going for a walk over to Martin Luther King Jr. Park to see a statue of MLK that I've been meaning to take a look at forever. Boyfriend agreed and we went for a stroll.

MLK Park lies in the middle of what used to be an extensive Black residential neighborhood called the East End. It fell to urban renewal in the 1960's. Only about a fourth to a third of the old East End survived.

The statue was quite lovely.

Then we headed back through downtown to the parking deck where we'd deposited our car.

Surely you wouldn't think that Goombay would be the only thing going on downtown on a summer weekend. In Pack Square Park an ongoing bluegrass event called Shindig on the Green was just starting. By the time it winds down, the park is usually packed.

Over in Pritchard Park, meanwhile, Praise in the Park, a low-key contemporary Christian music event was going on.

And of course we mustn't forget the buskers. They were everywhere, playing all manner of instruments from mandolins and cellos to trombones. And that is to say nothing of the firebreathers, living statues, and the guy in yellow body paint and very high, rhinestone-studded high heels balancing on a small teeter-totter while juggling scimitars.

Boyfriend wanted coffee. Odd... First he wants to rush off home and then he wants to linger.

Few things are more enjoyable than chugging frozen green tea while watching people come and go, including this gigantic guy and his itty-bitty wife/girlfriend/whoever, who stood about two feet shorter than he did. Their baby was utterly fascinated by the ceiling fans. I can remember being entranced by ceiling fans when I was little myself, actually, so I could relate.

We got home, and there were twelve people crowded into our apartment who ambushed me with a surprise birthday party. To say I was surprised was quite an understatement, but suddenly so many things made sense -- my boyfriend's sudden, severe urge to nest and just clean the everliving hell out of our apartment today and last night, the surreptitious text messages, the burning desire to go to Goombay and leave the apartment unattended, and all the rest. Our living room was bedecked with pink crepe paper.

Some day, some time when he's least expecting it, I'll get him.

The theme of the party was "Pretty, Pretty Princess." I was forced to wear the pretty princess tiara and sunglasses, the pretty princess sash, and hold the pretty princess bow and glitter-encrusted pretty princess My Little Pony before I was allowed access to either the liquor or the sushi, and that's just plain cruel. There are pictures out there, including some taken with my very own camera, of me wearing the pretty princess garb but you will never see them. Should they ever be leaked to the outside world, I will track down the culprit and pieces of said culprit will turn up over the next few months in various selected weedy ditches throughout the greater Asheville metropolitan area.

This means you.

My favorite part was the pretty princess crown cake, by far.

"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 5:31 PM
Fourth and Main

Happy Birthday!

It's good to see a construction update in your photographs.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 5:59 PM

One of my favorits is the Saint James Infirmary Blues, so I enjoyed the video insert.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 6:11 PM

Happy Birthday! Very sad we won't see you in the Pretty Princess garb.

Your boyfriend gave you a wonderful day. Festivals, walks in parks, and a party.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 10:37 PM
A gruff individual.

Thanks for your comments! I'm glad you stopped by for a look.

And no. No pretty princess garb. Not now, not ever but by God, if that's what I have to put on to gain access to the sushi, I'll put it on.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 3:25 AM
A gruff individual.

Lexington Avenue Lullabeast

Taken on a misty morning...

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 12:33 AM
Buttscraper

Awesome photos hauntedhead. always love reading your posts and your biting commentary. lol.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 1:36 PM
A gruff individual.

Thanks, tndude. For some reason, I just didn't feel like putting up a lot of words with that last round of pics.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 2:38 PM

Those photographs spoke for themselves. I really like the mural on the bridge.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 1:21 PM
A gruff individual.

Thanks, Expat. I tried everything to get those pictures to come out less washed out, but... meh. The only thing to do is take better pictures in better light. I dunno.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 3:14 PM
Red October standing by

great pics and happy belated bday. one of our friends was complaining about the street preachers during shindig...and how most are ignored.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 1:19 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
great pics and happy belated bday. one of our friends was complaining about the street preachers during shindig...and how most are ignored.

-
They complained that the preachers are ignored? Whenever I saw them, they weren't being ignored -- on the contrary, in fact. They had crowds of protestors drowning them out. One guy got arrested for punching one of them.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 11:09 AM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
They complained that the preachers are ignored? Whenever I saw them, they weren't being ignored -- on the contrary, in fact. They had crowds of protestors drowning them out. One guy got arrested for punching one of them.
oh no, she was happy they seemed to be ignored.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 12:17 AM
A gruff individual.

Caution: Artists at work!

Welcome to the River Arts District! Formerly a neighborhood dominated by heavy industry and workers' shacks, this area followed the path forged by so many other Asheville neighborhoods before it -- boom, bust, protracted decline, stagnation and interminable decay until, at last, a rebirth.

This time, it was the artists who did it and now the former industrial buildings -- including cotton mills, tanneries, and a chicken hatchery, among others -- house artists' studios. These include spaces for painters, potters, meltalworkers, weavers, photographers, and many more.

Though it's a small area, I wandered around for more than two hours and still only managed to scratch the surface of this neighborhood. There were plenty of nooks and crannies I didn't manage to get to, and it would definitely be worth a repeat visit to explore what I missed this time around.

Video Link

In addition to the old factory buildings, a number of auxiliary buildings remain. These once housed apartments as well as shops and cafes that served the workers.

An artist at work.

This part of town originally grew thanks to the railroad, and it was divided into two parts. This part was the heavily industrial area. The other area consisted of hotels that sprouted around the city's train station. Those hotels served the middle class and the poorer tourists who couldn't afford the great resorts or downtown's luxury accommodations.

Despite all that remains, a great many buildings in the River District were lost to fire, floods, and decades of neglect.

If memory serves, that building over there used to be some sort of power plant.

Some day I will remember that sunny days are not necessarily ideal for photography. They tend to leave my pictures washed out and sunblasted.

Or that could just be my lack of skill.

Asheville: Creepy and loving it!

This particular gallery wasn't home to what you might call a lot of "happy" art.

Meanwhile, down by that old, old river...

There were a couple of these tricked out buses parked behind one of the studio buildings. People live in them, and from this one came the smell of wood smoke, from the little fire they'd built in their stove.

These houses are part of a neighborhood adjacent to the River District called Chicken Hill. It gets its name from the chicken hatchery and chicken processing plant once located nearby. The hatchery and plant are still standing, and are now home to art studios.

When considering the chicken plant, it's an interesting thing to remember that for most of its history, Asheville used the French Broad River as a flowing sewer. It's almost guaranteed that with every batch of chickens slaughtered, another bloody red sluice spewed into the river to join all the dyes from the mills and sludge from the tanneries, not to mention the city's sewage, which was dumped raw into a creek that flowed into the French Broad. That's a pity, considering that Asheville is one of only three cities of any size in North Carolina with a waterfront. In recent years, baby steps have been taken to give Asheville the grand waterfront it deserves, and now an expansive park system lines a large part of the river. Plans have been drawn up to line more of the French Broad, as well as the Swannanoa River and several of the small creeks that flow through town with greenways and parks.

Inside one of the studio buildings...

Caution: Artist at work. As he explained to my boyfriend and I, he's working on an art installation for a hotel in metro Atlanta.

A steel mill used to stand here.

Tourists come to Asheville from all over the world. Where are you from?

Are you from Europe?

Or maybe Africa?

Central America, perhaps? My boyfriend, who lived for several years in Ecuador, was disappointed to find that someone had already stuck pins in both Guayaquil and Quito, where he'd lived.

The River Arts District in all its glory.

The Center for Ceramic Arts boasts this eye-catching tile mural.

Surprisingly, some industry remains in the River Arts District, even after all this time and the artists' takeover. Here's a plumbing supply warehouse.

This building, if you couldn't guess, houses Pink Dog Studios.

Depot Street leads to the section of the River District where all the hotels used to be. It also leads into one of Asheville's surprisingly large number of public housing slums. Until fairly recently, Depot Street was a place where you absolutely did not venture after dark, and you didn't go there during the day if you could help it. Slowly, the revitalization is moving out along Depot Street, though.

This building, which houses rental apartments as well as a bar, studios, and live theater venue, is part of the revitalization of Depot Street. It's located across a small creek from the carcass of what used to be the nicest hotel by the river, the Glen Rock. the next phase of this project will be the eventual revitalization of the Glen Rock Hotel, in fact.

Here's the creek, Town Branch. For most of Asheville's history, however, Town Branch was known as Nasty Branch, because this was where the city dumped its sewage.

And here we have the Glen Rock Hotel, built in 1930.

Goodbye -- for now -- from the River Arts District.

Last edited by hauntedheadnc; Dec 29, 2011 at 12:30 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 4:56 AM
Fourth and Main

It's good to see Asheville again. I usually go home during the holidays, but I stayed in Atlanta this year, with family visiting me down here.

When I noticed the subject for your post, I was excited to see what happened to the Glen Rock. Unfortunately, it still looks the same. I've seen proposals to restore it for about ten years. Maybe waiting is a good thing. This neighborhood has really changed in the past few years and it could see more success now or in the near future, compared to back then.

Most cities used their streams, creeks and rivers for their sewer or industrial waste. I've heard similar or worse stories from Chicago to St. Louis. Winston-Salem had a downtown waterfront and it was piped underground, so they could develop the land near the railroads with factories. The factories over the pipe connected to it to send waste into it. They are currently daylighting it and restoring it. You should be able to see it again late next year. Greenville (SC) still has infrastructure in their downtown waterway from the old factories. Cleveland is famous for all the wrong reasons with their waterfront. A big question is how polluted is the land on this side of Asheville? I remember the clean-up talks years ago. This could be a reason for some of the demolition? It is nice to see parts of Asheville's industrial past remain. Asheville was the state's third largest city at the height of the industrial revolution. It wasn't all hotels and resorts back then.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 5:51 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
When I noticed the subject for your post, I was excited to see what happened to the Glen Rock. Unfortunately, it still looks the same. I've seen proposals to restore it for about ten years. Maybe waiting is a good thing. This neighborhood has really changed in the past few years and it could see more success now or in the near future, compared to back then.
Yes... unfortunately. However, with the new addition built and up and running, that ought to add some momentum to the eventual resurrection of the original Glen Rock building.

The problem with the Glen Rock is that it's right on the dividing line between the safe part of the River District and the projects. Once you get past the old hotel there's just that convenience store and then you're in the wilds of Livingston Heights and those really bad apartment buildings. Up until now, any sort of renovation just wouldn't have been viable because nobody would have felt safe. Now though, with the Magnetic Field drawing crowds in the new building, and a crowd of eyes on the street in those new apartments, there you go.

Quote:
Most cities used their streams, creeks and rivers for their sewer or industrial waste. I've heard similar or worse stories from Chicago to St. Louis. Winston-Salem had a downtown waterfront and it was piped underground, so they could develop the land near the railroads with factories. The factories over the pipe connected to it to send waste into it. They are currently daylighting it and restoring it...

...A big question is how polluted is the land on this side of Asheville? I remember the clean-up talks years ago. This could be a reason for some of the demolition? It is nice to see parts of Asheville's industrial past remain. Asheville was the state's third largest city at the height of the industrial revolution. It wasn't all hotels and resorts back then.
RiverLink has been very busy with the clean up. Up to this point, though, most of the park-building has been in West Asheville. I'm not even sure what sort of pollution mitigation would be needed to really bring the River District up to the level where it needs to be.

That being said, I don't know that pollution was ever a reason for the demolitions in the River District. I know that an arsonist took out the biggest factory building down there, which was an incredible loss. Other buildings were lost to those massive floods in 2004, and some have just been allowed to rot past to the point of saving.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 10:25 PM
Motor City Mountaineer

Very nice. Asheville is quite the Bohemian mecca (I like that a lot). I'm not usually that into grit, but it really tells a story here of both the past and the future. Thanks a lot!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 10:48 PM

Awesome new photos! Keep up the good work!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 11:34 PM
A gruff individual.

Thanks for your comments, guys... There will definitely be more pictures from the River District at some point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos