HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 5:55 PM

^ Thanks for the beer glass ideas everybody!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 4:36 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Took my partner's cousin (she's from London, UK) to dinner at O Shima last night- we were going to bbq but partner is sick so I took her to O Shima because she's a sushi lover.

First, we saw Mr and Mrs Wooster. I usually- like 95% of the time- go to O Shima for lunch, and it's a sad experience even though the food is always great. "Sad" because I'm often the only person in the resto. Or one of, say, three. So I had no idea that O Shima was actually kinda sorta popular. There were maybe 15 customers and with some human conversation going on it was a much nicer experience. We got there a little after 6 and got a table with no reso, btw, on a Friday night, which was nice.

Also being able to eat with somebody else allowed me to try some things I don't usually order, like this incredible dish with fried prawns tossed in spicy mayo and a veggie tempura that was very good. We both got the 3 rolls for $10 combo, three appetizers, some nigiri sushi and she had a unagi rice bowl- HUGE amount of food, couldn't finish it all, with just water and tea to drink the bill was a mere $66. I'm wondering if we were undercharged but so be it. I think my fears about this place going under are unfounded- they're just dead at lunch, I guess.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 8:29 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Noticed that the perogy boyz food truck was parked in front of Diner Deluxe which is kind of interesting. Anyone know if they have the same owners?

With the weekend on-street parking and the number of people out and about, particularly at the food truck/diner deluxe, that area of Edmonton Trail is starting to look like it's own little highstreet area. Once the two condos just south of there are complete that will likely only increase.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 11:58 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Yes! The taco food truck is 2 streets over from me, totally hitting it up for dinner in a bit!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 1:40 AM
Round Head

O-shima is a good sushi place. We enjoyed our meal very much - had quite a healthy amount of food for $43.

Try the Flames roll if there - very colourful roll and the flavours are equally bright.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 1:40 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Yes! The taco food truck is 2 streets over from me, totally hitting it up for dinner in a bit!
Are they parked over in the Green-P parking lot by the curling club?

When's the house warming?!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 1:42 AM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Are they parked over in the Green-P parking lot by the curling club?

When's the house warming?!
That's where they are, good location with Latino fest happening on the island.

Those were some damn delicious tacos!

We are working on the housewarming plans, so much still to do in and outside the house, and a schedule that never seems to give us much free time. But we will definitely have a SSP'ers housewarming in the future.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 1:44 AM
Round Head

I'm really glad we were successful in opening up City-owned parking lots for the food trucks. There's lots of really good locations - like that one.

I love the Los Compadres truck. Excellent tacos.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 1:45 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

We are working on the housewarming plans, so much still to do in and outside the house, and a schedule that never seems to give us much free time. But we will definitely have a SSP'ers housewarming in the future.
Tower out the top of the house to enhance your skyline view?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 1:49 AM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Tower out the top of the house to enhance your skyline view?
Yup, and to rain arrows down on the NIMBY's.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 1:50 AM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
I'm really glad we were successful in opening up City-owned parking lots for the food trucks. There's lots of really good locations - like that one.

I love the Los Compadres truck. Excellent tacos.
I haven't had good authentic tacos like that in Calgary before (haven't really gone to any of the local places). Mrs. Bigtime was very surprised by them, and she can be a tough food critic to please.

It was neat seeing families going to Latino fest coming up and ordering and conversing with the staff in Spanish.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 1:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Here's a question for you foodies out there. Where is the best place to get Pho in downtown? preferably on the east end.
Song Viet - across from Harry Hays.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 5:04 PM
Littering and............

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Noticed that the perogy boyz food truck was parked in front of Diner Deluxe which is kind of interesting. Anyone know if they have the same owners?

With the weekend on-street parking and the number of people out and about, particularly at the food truck/diner deluxe, that area of Edmonton Trail is starting to look like it's own little highstreet area. Once the two condos just south of there are complete that will likely only increase.
The people behind Taste are behind the Perogy Boyz

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl69 View Post
Song Viet - across from Harry Hays.
Had lunch here today, very good Pho, thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully I get a chance to try the other one reccommended on here soon too.

Is it just me or do the Vietnamese eat some strange things? beef tripe, tendon etc..

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 2:00 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Had lunch here today, very good Pho, thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully I get a chance to try the other one reccommended on here soon too.

Is it just me or do the Vietnamese eat some strange things? beef tripe, tendon etc..
Tripe's not weird. Go to vietnam and get the banh mi with deep-fried baby birds. That's weird.

Speaking of banh mi- the sate chicken at the new Thai Tai (by Morgan's Pub) on 17th is FANTASTIC. Huge sub dripping with this spicy sauce- it's like a cross between a donair and a sub. I don't get why the other Thai Tai locations I've been to have been so underwhelming in comparison- tried them in Chinatown, 1st SW and the one next to Western HS and never really liked them that much compared to Thi Thi or Kim Anh, but this new one just rocks.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Tripe's not weird. Go to vietnam and get the banh mi with deep-fried baby birds. That's weird.

Speaking of banh mi- the sate chicken at the new Thai Tai (by Morgan's Pub) on 17th is FANTASTIC. Huge sub dripping with this spicy sauce- it's like a cross between a donair and a sub. I don't get why the other Thai Tai locations I've been to have been so underwhelming in comparison- tried them in Chinatown, 1st SW and the one next to Western HS and never really liked them that much compared to Thi Thi or Kim Anh, but this new one just rocks.
I think slices of stomach is pretty damn weird. lol but deep fried baby birds are just down right bizzare! but to each their own I suppose.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 1:29 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
I think slices of stomach is pretty damn weird. lol but deep fried baby birds are just down right bizzare! but to each their own I suppose.
Europeans ate tripe regularly until after the second world war as well.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 1:35 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Sounds like someone needs a visit from the meat council (complete with a complimentary plate of tripe).

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 2:13 PM

Or at least one full semester at Bovine University.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 2:51 PM

I tried it and didn't much like it actually.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation