HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 2:20 AM

Great news for both Kachka and the Goat Blocks!

I went to Kachka this summer during the heat wave and I'm pretty sure the A/C was broken or didn't exist. My wife and I were both sweating the entire time.

Rabbit in a clay pot just isn't as rewarding when it's 80 degrees inside the restaurant.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Schilling Will Open Portland Cider House With the Biggest Taplist in the United States

Oh, and a patio with a firepit table, and international ciders, and a big ol' bottle fridge

Portland's cider bar scene might be getting its ante pushed up… by Seattle.

One of Washington's finest cideries will be opening a taproom in Portland soon. Seattle's Schilling Cider—inventor of what may be the world's first nitro hard cider—will be opening a taproom on Southeast Belmont Street's Goat Blocks, with what co-founder Mark Kornei says will be more cider taps than any cider house in the United States.

America's largest cider bar expected to open in the spring of next year.

So where there once was a field of urban goats, there will now be a giant hard cider house with taps from four continents, gigantic beer-hall-style drinking tables made with slabs of repurposed wood, big wooden rafter beams, and a back patio featuring a concrete table with a long firepit built into the table.
...continues at the Willamette Week.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 11:23 PM
BANNED

What happened to the site

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 8:56 PM

Via twitter I hear that Chipotle will be one of the retail tenants.

I haven't been by the site in a while but they must be close to being finished?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post

I drive by everyday and it's getting there! Really nice development, I'll try to head to work a little early on a sunny morning to take some pics.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 9:51 PM

Quote:

Orchard Supply is open. Everything else is fenced off. Stopped by there about two weeks ago. No one was shopping inside there. I don't think anyone knows they are open.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 12:17 AM

I had no idea that the Orchard Supply had opened.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 5:21 AM
Semi-Lurker

I just drove past there today and I had no idea that anything had opened in their yet. It's really surprising that they wouldn't broadcast that they were open. I can't imagine it would be to difficult to hang some vinyl "Yes we're open!" banners.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 6:46 PM

Quote:
I had no idea that the Orchard Supply had opened.
Was told they are conducting a 'soft open', (testing systems, training staff, working out the bugs, etc.) Passersby are welcome to enter but they are not advertising it yet.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrG View Post
Was told they are conducting a 'soft open', (testing systems, training staff, working out the bugs, etc.) Passersby are welcome to enter but they are not advertising it yet.
I was in there last weekend and an employee said they were doing a more formal opening when the Market of Choice opens - supposedly in April (which seems a little ambitious given how much work is left).

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 2:53 PM

http://pamplinmedia.com/but/349490

Goat Blocks reimagined

The Buckman neighborhood at Southeast 11th Avenue and Belmont Street is about to liven up.

By the end of March, The Goat Blocks is scheduled for completion — including three mixed-use buildings anchored by Market of Choice and Orchard Hardware, with active walkways through a small retail alleyway topped by high-end apartments.

Formerly known as LOCA, the superblock pro...http://pamplinmedia.com/but/349490

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 11:42 PM

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Inside the Portland Goat Blocks new grocery and hardware stores (Photos)

The Belmont Goats may be long gone, but their legacy lingers at the prominent new development that's risen in their place at Southeast 10th Avenue and Southeast Belmont Street.

It lingers in the form of goat-shaped bike racks in front of the new Market of Choice grocery store that's opening its doors tomorrow, in the community partnership between the Belmont Goats nonprofit and Orchard Supply Hardware, the latter of which opened for business in the development last week, and in the simple Goat Blocks moniker that's taken hold at the site.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 4:47 AM

Quote:
See Inside ‘The World’s Largest Cider Taproom’
Schilling Cider House Portland is now open with an epic rooftop deck in the former Goat Blocks

Schilling Cider House Portland is now sudsing at 930 SE 10th, offering what is billed as the world’s largest selection of hard ciders on draft. The photo gallery above reveals a bright, beer-hall setup, with huge glass windows that look out onto the famous Portland neighborhood where goats used to roam on an urban farm before being relocated to deep Southeast — hopefully somewhere far away from all the new traffic. It also shows off a particularly enticing rooftop deck, replete with fire pit.

Schilling Cider House opened its first location in Seattle, and its follow-up taproom touts 50 taps, loaded with house ciders as well as guest ciders. For a guest cider to be featured, it has to be made by an independently owned cidery that does not use artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives, and it has to be made out of 100-percent fresh-pressed juice.

Like the Seattle spot, Schilling Cider House Portland has a cidery onsite, and the new taproom kitchen serves an all-gluten-free food menu. It operates daily, from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
...continues at Eater Portland (with images).

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 7:09 AM

Overall, I'm not crazy about the architecture but the smaller white building is nice. Once all the retail spaces are filled and open this will be huge for activating this part of the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 7:14 AM
A before E

I have to agree, the little white building is the best, the architecture of the main buildings is a bit so so, but the whole complex is loaded with retail, which is really gonna help make that area into a really active urban district. It will get even more active with the coming of other buildings in the surrounding blocks.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 7:04 PM

Ouch.

Quote:
The Goat Blocks: Placemaking over style

Depending on your point of view, the Goat Blocks in Southeast Portland could be called a thoughtful act of urban placemaking that breaks down a superblock into digestible pedestrian-scaled pieces that fit the neighborhood.

Or it's an exercise in architectural mediocrity where changing facade materials can only partially disguise the development's massiveness.

Rather than one or the other, I see all of the above.

There's a lot to like about the Goat Blocks, which was designed by Ankrom Moisan for Vancouver, Washington developer Killian Pacific. But the successes are in scale and mixed-use density more than its architectural style or, for that matter, the name.

The old cliche about suburban subdivisions is that they're named after the natural settings they destroy. (Either that, or the builder's daughter's first name.) My childhood home in McMinnville, for example, sits beside the Tall Oaks and Bethany Pointe developments. Similarly, the name Goat Blocks refers to goat herd that once roamed the grass-covered parcel (and thereby cut it, one bite at a time) at 11th and Belmont for a few years starting in 2012, following a fire that destroyed the produce warehouse and Italian restaurant long occupying the site. Intended to express authenticity through neighborly homage, the name somehow does the opposite.
...continues at the Business Tribune.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 5:32 PM

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 7:04 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

I'd give my left kidney to find out what that red corrugated metal panels are (make/brand/style). Anyone know?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland