HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 2:34 PM
Urbis Maximus

That roadway configuration is ridiculous and I agree should be a traffic circle.

FYI, the transportation engineers I've worked with at the COE are not against traffic circles. I believe that was an old regime that is no longer calling the shots.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 10:52 PM

delete
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Last edited by Jasper and one o nin; Sep 2, 2023 at 11:04 PM. Reason: confidentiality issue

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 6:08 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
That roadway configuration is ridiculous and I agree should be a traffic circle.

FYI, the transportation engineers I've worked with at the COE are not against traffic circles. I believe that was an old regime that is no longer calling the shots.
Yup, for instance 92 Avenue in Rosenthal (adjacent to the future Lewis Farms Rec Centre), has four roundabouts within a 1.2 km stretch. They are definitely not being avoided in road designs here.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 5:03 PM
Community Guy

Had to commute from the SW to Downtown today and my oh my nobody gives a $hit about bus/taxi/bike lanes on Fox Drive or 109st hey?

Nice to see some rush hour traffic though.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 5:27 PM

109 St south of the river needs a dedicated 2-way bike lane plus HOV/bus lanes that operate at all hours instead of just rush hour.

109 St/Sask Drive/Walterdale is another intersection that is dying for a traffic circle. Along with that traffic circle, time the traffic lights at 109 St/87 Ave every 30 seconds or so.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 6:26 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
109 St south of the river needs a dedicated 2-way bike lane plus HOV/bus lanes that operate at all hours instead of just rush hour.

109 St/Sask Drive/Walterdale is another intersection that is dying for a traffic circle. Along with that traffic circle, time the traffic lights at 109 St/87 Ave every 30 seconds or so.
I am not sure there is enough space at that intersection to construct one, as you need the diameter to allow for a reasonable turning radius around the circle - it cannot be too tight. Plus, you would need at least two lanes within the circle. The only way to make it work would be to eat into a portion of the Strathcona House condo's greenspace at the southeast corner of the intersection:

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 7:16 PM

Quote:

There are residential streets that are great for cycling 1-2 blocks east and west of 109ST, no need for bicycle lanes. Better enforcement of the bus lane would be great though.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 7:47 PM

Quote:
I realize that the city has this vendetta against traffic circles (e.g. Groat Road/118 Ave) while the province has fully embraced them (e.g. Hwy 44/37), but I believe the intersection at 111 Ave/163 St/Mayfield Road should be transformed into a traffic circle. Who on City Council should I contact to express this idea to?

Roudabouts/traffic circles tend to function best when the volumes are somewhat balanced, or overall fairly low. Not sure it would be a good application here. I expect the "straight through" 111 Ave to Mayfield movement is substantially higher than what is using 163 Street. You'd risk falling into patterns during busy times where it just acts as mild traffic calming for the direction of higher flow dominating right-of-way, with very few gaps/opportunities for vehicles to get in from the north.

Also, if you make the north and west legs of 111 Ave/163 Street into separate entrances, going from 111 Ave to Mayfield effectivly becomes the same as a left turn in a typical traffic circle (3rd exit). So by doing so you would be condensing 111 ave into one lane to access mayfield road.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
NOT happy about the 103 for local only as it is a very key road from many parking lots north of Jasper to get south and out east or west.

Wrong move.

Oh no! They'll have to detour over to 98 Ave, like how anyone going to Bellamy from Grierson Hill will have to turn from 99 Ave instead!

Removing movements is part of cleaning up the intersection, saying it inconveniences people driving out of their parking lots is just.... being spoilt.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 3:02 PM
Change is good

they still have potential gondola station there...

We all know that will never happen

Old Posted Dec 17, 2023, 4:51 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Detours, traffic changes ahead as work continues on Edmonton’s Yellowhead Trail

http://https://globalnews.ca/news/10096749/edmonton-traffic-yellowhead-trail-freeway/

Old Posted Dec 17, 2023, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Detours, traffic changes ahead as work continues on Edmonton’s Yellowhead Trail

http://https://globalnews.ca/news/10096749/edmonton-traffic-yellowhead-trail-freeway/
Hello, welcome to last month!

Does anyone know if the Yellowhead west of St. Albert Trail has been reopened with 3 lanes?
Is Fort Rd under the CN Rail bridge fully reopened?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2023, 4:11 AM

When I am driving anywhere in Edmonton at night I see large swath of streets not lit up. This problem has been getting worse for years and needs to stop. Who is responsible for replacing broken lightbulbs, and why are they not done in a timely manner? They better fix this problem quickly, before someone gets into an accident and sues the city.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2023, 2:55 PM
Change is good

did you do anything else besides complain about it on the internet?

Report it to 311. They will dispatch EPCOR. Was resolved within a few weeks in my hood. (street lights were staying on during the daytime)

Old Posted Dec 18, 2023, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
did you do anything else besides complain about it on the internet?

Report it to 311. They will dispatch EPCOR. Was resolved within a few weeks in my hood. (street lights were staying on during the daytime)
EPCOR doesn't take care of that anymore. That portion of the company is no longer an entity.

The companies the City has hired in place of EPCOR have been nothing short of a joke when it comes to the lights in this city. There's a big stretch between Victoria Trail and 50th Street that has been out for months and those companies give dumb reasons as to why its taken so long to turn them back on. Ridiculous. And I've called 311 about it.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2023, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
EPCOR doesn't take care of that anymore. That portion of the company is no longer an entity.

The companies the City has hired in place of EPCOR have been nothing short of a joke when it comes to the lights in this city. There's a big stretch between Victoria Trail and 50th Street that has been out for months and those companies give dumb reasons as to why its taken so long to turn them back on. Ridiculous. And I've called 311 about it.
We've reported light outages a couple of times in the last few months to 311 and they've been repaired within two weeks. I don't care who is repairing them, but it gets done in my experience.

Last edited by Jaws; Dec 18, 2023 at 9:06 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton