HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 11:42 PM

Well, the bridge needs to use energy, for things like lights, heating certain parts of the bridge etc... So, the bridge will be using energy from the city's grid.

What I feel is interesting would be if the bridge can actually produce energy and take care of its own energy needs (net-zero,) and even give back energy to the city.

How does the bridge products energy? Well, I can think of at least 3 ways:
- the water current
- wind
- solar

Most of the energy in building is used for cooling/heating which isn't a big issue with bridges. So, really, I do not think a bridge will use a lot of electricity. So, that is what I meant by energy efficient.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 11:53 PM

You are 100% right, but Canada is also on the forefront of energy efficient design, so maybe we may find a way around to make this work. So I propose we should do what we are best at doing here in Quebec! Another feasibility study!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisG View Post
I don't think that adding turbines of any sort to a bridge deck could be energy efficient (more weight = more steel ).
But ... anything is feasible.

I also think that for the price it will cost, the new bridge should not integrate ''experimental'' stuff.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 1:14 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
Light rail on Montreal's wish list for new federally funded bridge

MONTREAL - The City of Montreal's wish list for the federally funded replacement of the aging Champlain Bridge includes a light rail transit system and eight car lanes, including two for public transit.
The city also wants the new bridge to be architecturally striking, like San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge or the Sydney Opera House in Australia.

The project is expected to cost up to $5 billion, a tab Ottawa says will be funded with the help of a private-public partnership and a toll system.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper said last week his government was open to local input on the project.
The federal government oversees the management of a half-dozen major bridges, including three in Montreal.
It pays significant portions of the bridges' upkeep and, when the time comes, for their replacement.
The 50-year-old Champlain Bridge is among the country's busiest.

The City of Montreal outlined its wishes for the new bridge at a news conference Sunday and in an open letter addressed to federal Transport Minister Denis Lebel.
Real Menard, a member of Montreal's executive committee who made the announcement, said the city would like to launch an international architecture competition to encourage an identifiable design for the new bridge.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/light-rail-...203452850.html

I just thought I'd share of few user comments regarding this article, good for a few laughs I promise.

Quote:
If Canadians pay to build this bridge, a Canadian Oath of Allegiance should be required before each bridge crossing.
Quote:
Nah - let Pauline Marios Separate and she can pay for it herself.
Quote:
LOL Get all the new Kewns whove infested that city to pay for it!
Quote:
enough is enough . too much $$$ going to appease the damned frogs. let them separate and take thier share of the national debt with them
Quote:
Another example of the leaching Federal Government feeding the bumps by stealing from the productive ones. Where is the money for any of our projects in Ontario Harper? Stop playing games and treat all provinces equally and hold the leaches by their neck & put them in their place.
Quote:
Why is the federal gov't paying for a bridge for this city.. Does it build bridges for every city in this country.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 2:48 AM

Well, at least that bridge will help Québec to play our role of Federation Scapegoats. When people are bitching about Québec, they are not bitching about real problems that could be solved...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 3:25 AM
The good old days are now

The people who write those sorts of comments usually tend to be timid, insecure people in real life. I tend to think it is people who don't have lives: no jobs, no friends, no family, etc who spend their days writing ignorant comments on news websites or youtube (youtube has to be the among the worst websites for stupid comments).

Commenting on a news story on a forum such as this is different since we are all here as a bit of a hobby/passtime. We are a community of people interested in architecture and urban issues, although, yes, we do have views on other topics, but generally speaking, we aim more for intelligent conversation.

Regarding the bridge:
A LRT is a necessity. The AMT bus that links Brossard to Montreal is as utilized as the yellow line. Griffintown and Nuns Island remain poorly served by transport, despite the fact that each are rapidly densifying, and many jobs are now located there. The LRT should be integrated into the Metro system. Have it stop at both Bonaventure and McGill, and make switching to the Metro as seamless as possible (Bonaventure and McGill stops should be indoors or underground and require little more than going down a flight of stairs to get to the Metro).

As for an architecture competition, I really do not think it is required. What I want is a functional bridge, minimum 6 traffic lanes each direction, 1 set of LRT tracks in each direction, and a paved shoulder. I want it to last as long as possible for a reasonably price. I don't care if it is boring. Taxpayers are paying for it, so it should be done in a no frills manner.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 3:45 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
I don't care if it is boring. Taxpayers are paying for it, so it should be done in a no frills manner.
That's the only place where I disagree.

It would be moronic for Montreal to pass on the chance of making something big and nice. Too much harm has already been done with the no frills manner of the CRCHUM and the MUHC and the grande bibliotheque and Maison du dev. durable. A great bridge gives great publicity for a city. Montreal is an alleged city of design. let's prove it.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post

It would be moronic for Montreal to pass on the chance of making something big and nice. Too much harm has already been done with the no frills manner of the CRCHUM and the MUHC and the grande bibliotheque and Maison du dev. durable. A great bridge gives great publicity for a city. Montreal is an alleged city of design. let's prove it.
I guess the question we have to ask ourselves is: how much extra are we willing to pay for something world class? The bridge is already estimated to cost between $3-5 billion.

I don't want something overly bland either (like the Confederation Bridge between NB and PEI). A cable stayed bridge would be nice, provided it would not be significantly more expensive.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 4:28 AM

Something like this could be a good compromise:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi..._Lernacken.jpg

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 5:31 AM
Look at me!

^perhaps. But if vancouver an have something like this:

http://flre.ca/wp/wp-content/uploads...ann-Bridge.jpg

...than so should we, but bigger and nicer.

Sadly I think the compromise here will be somewhere between banality and ennui.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 2:54 PM

As a commuter in Montreal I do travel a lot in and off the island for work.
All the bridges (minus the Ile a tour) are just falling apart and its about time we got something fresh and new.

I do like that vancouver bridge but I always pictured something like this,

http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates_imp...ton-bridge.JPG

Something similar to the size and capaticy of the George Washington Bridge.
Let's hope that the whole process is completed by 2024 because of these construction scandals lately I hope it's not gonna be delayed.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Publié le 30 mars 2013 à 07h44 | Mis à jour à 10h30
Ponts de la Rive-Sud: travaux records de 126 millions

Bruno Bisson
La Presse

Les trois ponts fédéraux qui relient Montréal à la Rive-Sud feront encore cette année l'objet de travaux majeurs. La société fédérale Les Ponts Jacques-Cartier et Champlain inc. (PJCCI) a rendu public jeudi son calendrier des travaux, qui nécessitent des investissements de 126 millions - un record pour PJCCI.

La société fédérale entreprendra aussi l'automne prochain la construction du pont temporaire où sera détournée la circulation avant la démolition et le remplacement du pont de L'Île-des-Soeurs, qui relie cette île et Montréal. Ce projet de 60 millions s'ajoute aux grands travaux d'entretien prévus pour 2013.

Les usagers des ponts Jacques-Cartier, Champlain et Mercier n'auront pas beaucoup de répit au cours de la prochaine année. Il y aura presque toujours des travaux sur au moins l'un des ponts, jusqu'à tard l'automne prochain. À moins d'une urgence, toutefois, il n'y aura jamais deux ponts en chantier en même temps.

[...]
http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/re...3_accueil_POS3

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 7:31 PM
Utilisateur enregistré

Publié le 19 avril 2013 à 12h58 | Mis à jour à 14h51
Québec promet un SLR sur le pont Champlain

PIERRE SAINT-ARNAUD
La Presse Canadienne

Québec confirme son intention d'implanter un système électrique de transport léger sur rail pour le transport collectif sur le futur pont Champlain et promet qu'il sera livré en même temps que le pont, en 2021.

Le ministre des Transports et des Affaires municipales, Sylvain Gaudreault, a annoncé vendredi à Montréal la mise sur pied d'un bureau de projet doté d'un budget de près de 28 millions $ qui devra notamment réaliser les études d'avant-projet, coordonner ce projet avec celui de construction du pont lui-même et préparer le dossier d'affaires.

Bien que le coût final du projet reste à déterminer, il est d'ores et déjà acquis qu'il se situera dans la fourchette de 1,5 à 2 milliards $.

Le ministre Gaudreault maintient qu'Ottawa doit participer au financement, faisant valoir que le gouvernement fédéral l'a déjà fait pour des projets similaires en Ontario et en Colombie-Britannique, notamment.

Or, le gouvernement de Stephen Harper n'a montré aucune ouverture en ce sens jusqu'ici. Le ministre fédéral des Transports, Denis Lebel, a déjà fait savoir que Québec n'avait qu'à puiser dans les enveloppes existantes destinées aux infrastructures.

Sylvain Gaudreault rejette cette possibilité, faisant valoir que le dernier programme annoncé par Ottawa prévoit une somme d'environ 2 milliards $ pour le Québec et qu'il serait impensable de vider cette enveloppe pour un seul projet alors que les besoins des villes en infrastructures sont immenses, notamment pour les réfections d'aqueducs et d'égouts, de routes et d'équipements sportifs et culturels.

[...]

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/re...-champlain.php

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 12:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post

absolutely right on the money. A suspension bridge would be outstanding, or a Cantilever span along the lines of Pont de Quebec.

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 3:00 PM
Utilisateur enregistré

Publié le 25 mai 2013 à 09h15 | Mis à jour à 09h15
Pont Champlain: nouvelle étude en faveur d'un concours international

CAROLINE D'ASTOUS
La Presse

Pour assurer la «créativité maximale» du futur pont Champlain, le gouvernement fédéral doit organiser «un concours international d'architecture et d'ingénierie» puis enlever «la conception» du cadre du partenariat public-privé, recommande une nouvelle étude obtenue par La Presse.

Intitulée Un véritable ouvrage responsable pour le futur pont Champlain, l'étude a été déposée hier au bureau du ministre fédéral des Transports, Denis Lebel. Elle a été préparée par le Regroupement pour la qualité architecturale du futur pont Champlain et porte 16 signataires dont Mission Montréal, l'Ordre des architectes du Québec, la Ville de Longueuil et l'Association des designers industriels du Québec.

Parmi les points phares, l'étude recommande de mettre en place un concours international. «Le concours international avec jury de très haut niveau est le seul moyen de garantir la créativité maximale et une architecture puis un urbanisme de qualité, dans un cadre défini et transparent», lit-on.

Pourquoi une telle démarche? «Je pense que le nombre de ponts qui se font au Canada de cette envergure-là fait que l'expertise canadienne ne serait pas suffisante pour avoir les meilleurs rapports qualité-prix», a déclaré André Bourassa, président de l'Ordre des architectes du Québec.

Le président propose également de mettre en place des balises pour s'assurer «que la participation locale soit intégrée adéquatement», dans la conception et la construction du futur pont.

[...]

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/na...ernational.php

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Henry Aubin: Culture of entitlement crosses bridge

By Henry Aubin, The Gazette
May 27, 2013

MONTREAL — Many politicians and organizations are insisting that the federal government ensure that its new Champlain Bridge be beautiful — that it be an architectural gem whose fame would compete with San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge. This desire for excellence is superb.

But there’s irony, too, in this sudden mass devotion to architectural quality.

I mean, the Montreal region on the whole has had a ho-hum approach to architecture for several generations. Of the 100 or so biggest projects built here since the Second World War, only a handful are striking by international standards. They include I.M. Pei’s Place Ville Marie and Moshe Safdie’s Habitat, both from the 1960s; Roger Taillibert’s Olympic Stadium, from the 1970s (you have to admit it’s visually striking); and Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates’ IBM-Marathon tower at 1250 René-Lévesque Blvd., from 1992. (We tend to do better on mid-size and small projects.)

Now, out of the blue, there’s a broad-based passion for quality. It’s coming from the Applebaum administration, the professional orders of architects and urban planners, Tourisme Montréal, the Université de Montréal’s urban planning department, Heritage Montreal and the association of landscape architects, among others. They’re asking the federal government, which is responsible for building the new Champlain Bridge, to award the bridge-building contract only after an international architectural competition.

This is a great idea, but where were such organizations when it came to designing other structures in Montreal? They mounted comparatively little pressure on the Quebec government for the exterior design of its Grande Bibliothèque, concert hall, convention centre and two superhospitals. Nor did they do so in regard to the Montreal municipal government’s 2-22 building at the Quartier des spectacles. And they’ve mounted even less pressure than that on private enterprise in regard to all those glass-box condo towers downtown or, in the case of Brossard at the eastern end of the bridge, the Dix30 big-box hub.

The point is that political, real-estate and professional establishments of Montreal and the province as a whole put little pressure on themselves to promote outstanding architecture. It’s only now that an outsider — the federal government — has a big project that everyone gets excited. The effective message: “We don’t have to be excellent — but you do!”

[...]

haubin@montrealgazette.com

Twitter: henry_aubin
© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette
Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/busin...#ixzz2UatNRBOx

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 1:15 AM

I would really love to see a suspension bridge, you know something grandiose. It is the busiest bridge in Canada and of great national importance.

I drew a sketch of what I would like it to look like as a suspension bridge with the skyline in the background.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 6:43 PM

I honestly don't care about the bridge's architecture or appearance.

Far more important is its function.

It needs to have 2 dedicated transit lines minimum (ideally 4), a pedestrian and bike path, and an absolute maximum of 6 car lanes.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 2:53 AM

I believe that this must be the early stages of the replacement for the Nuns' Island Bridge (which will be built before the Champlain).

(my photo)

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 2:59 AM

L'île des Nounes, quel drôle de nom, mais pas si fou que ça...

Je m'égare, belle photo !

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
L'île des Nounes, quel drôle de nom, mais pas si fou que ça...

Je m'égare, belle photo !
Merci!

Le nom n'est pas aussi drôle qu'île Jésus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal