HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 11:35 PM

Yeah, SkyRide would be nice, but Grouse would have that locked up.

I tend to think of "Tram" as in streetcar tram rather than aerial tram (although Portland's is "Aerial Tram".

How about SkyCab?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 11:57 PM
testify

SkyBus (in keeping with the generic sea/sky)

would be cool though if it were named something neat and unique, maybe some random aboriginal word depicting collective motion, or even the sky theme (ex. "dude, why bring your car when you can get off at production way and jump the spukanitsil?" "the spuk? nah, always too full, and hate the extra fee they charge") etc

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 3:17 AM

Well, LA has the Angels Flight (yes, I know it's a funicular) - but something along those lines would sound cool...

"_____'s Flight"
"Simon's Flight"?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 4:18 AM

SFU Express?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 10:45 AM

Sfu express is more for a bus. Ie. PNE express. How about SFU SkyLine. I also like BMAT.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 7:45 PM
loafing in lotusland

You guys are all wrong. They will have a naming contest... and it will end up being named: George Ride.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 8:02 PM

SkyLine sounds better than SkyTram or AirRide

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 1:51 AM
Crazy as a mad hatter

Here's an article from the BurnabyNow paper about some kind of single-rider rail car - http://www.burnabynow.com/Would+sing...169/story.html

Personally I don't see how this would be viable since even if these single-rider cars leave every 15 seconds or 4 per minute, that's only 240 per hour... And at $50 million versus the $70 million of the gondola with a capacity of 3000+ per hour, the gondola is a no brainer.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 3:03 AM

From your description of that system, I was imagining a bunch of these going up Burnaby Mountain...

http://www.tkaccess.com/images/levant2.jpg

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 4:06 AM
Shoebox Dweller

That counsellor is an idiot. Does he not realize that this will save money in the medium term? Basic financial knowledge, fella.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 7:27 PM

How many Polish engineers does it take to get students up Burnaby mountain?

To me, it sounds like an expensive taxi. We already have a transportation mode for individuals, it's called roads.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
To me, it sounds like an expensive taxi. We already have a transportation mode for individuals, it's called roads.
IIRC Translink estimates the annual savings of using a gondola at about $6 million per year, enough for it to pay itself back within a dozen years or so. Those buses take quite a beating going up and down the hill, and there are typically several days a year when they can't get up there at all due to snow.

I remember the old days when BC Hydro had a special fleet of five Prevost coaches with manual transmissions to service SFU.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
IIRC Translink estimates the annual savings of using a gondola at about $6 million per year, enough for it to pay itself back within a dozen years or so. Those buses take quite a beating going up and down the hill, and there are typically several days a year when they can't get up there at all due to snow.

I remember the old days when BC Hydro had a special fleet of five Prevost coaches with manual transmissions to service SFU.
I was comparing roads to the proposal in madmigs post.

Quote:
When asked if the system is like an individualized gondola, Mikosza explained it would be more like a taxi, running on an elevated rail system. It could be expanded throughout the city, for less money than the gondola project up the mountain would cost, he added.

The rail system would be like a spider web guide system, which the cars could travel on to various destinations, he added.

"It would move just above the road, like a car," he said.

The idea of conveying large groups of people via transit is outdated, Mikosza said, as most people want flexibility and comfort when travelling.

Read more: http://www.burnabynow.com/Would+sing...#ixzz1DPama1p8
It IS just like a taxi on roads, which we have. Who in their right mind would build something "like" roads, when we have roads.

I wasn't comparing roads to the large scale gondola project proposed by translink.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
I was comparing roads to the proposal in madmigs post.
Ah yes, I don't see any point in single-rider gondola cars either. The only advantage is individual routing, but there's no need for that in the case of the SFU gondola.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 3:37 AM
Mac User

Quote:

Local governments and Translink should fast track this project not only will it pay for its self but I'm sure ridership up Burnaby Mountain would increase significantly as it would become an accessible destination with amazing views.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 5:19 PM

At the moment TransLink is moving ahead with a business case, slated for Spring or early Summer.

Last edited by Millennium2002; Feb 16, 2011 at 6:02 PM. Reason: Other parts of post deleted pending TransLink permission to release.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post
Local governments and Translink should fast track this project not only will it pay for its self but I'm sure ridership up Burnaby Mountain would increase significantly as it would become an accessible destination with amazing views.
It would become a tourist destination and thereby provide a boon for the whole area. When a relative comes to visit, I don't think of taking them anywhere in Burnaby but this could change that. While taking the Skytrain there, they might stop off at Brentwood or Lougheed to check out the malls, etc.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 7:32 PM

With this gondola in place, couldn't all SFU parking be moved to the bottom of the mountain?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 7:57 PM

Quote:

The problem is the capital replacement cycle on aerial transport systems like a gondola. The lifecycle is typlically short as gondolas are very custom installs. What that means is that it will likely need to be reconstructed every 10-15 years due to inavailability of parts. There is a reason why ski resorts replace their lifts often.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
With this gondola in place, couldn't all SFU parking be moved to the bottom of the mountain?
Why would you want to do that? It's not like there is a real lack of space up there. There is more space for parking up there than there is at Production Way. Plus I would think the Gondola would be busy enough with just transit users. If everyone going to SFU had to take the Gondola, it would probably be too busy.

But, as more travelers change over to transit (as I'm sure the speed of the Gondola would change people from driving to transit), then unneeded parking lots can be removed entirely and converted to space for buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure