HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 11:34 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Not sure how old this drone footage is and probably not new to many here, but this just came up in my twitter feed today and thought this was pretty cool. This is from the landslide in Quebec in 2009 that took out a section of Route 112.

https://x.com/historyinmemes/status/...448824651?s=20
Was this at one of those former mines? It seemed that the rock mass gave way underneath the roadway.
Edit: https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...leraine-rte112
Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Any update on the A85 connection to NB - is it almost done ?
Wait till 2026.
Some new interim 2-lane section may be opened this year and next year, though.
Who knows, maybe by the time that MTQ finishes A-85, NSTIR will have finished twinning N.S.-104 even further.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And, what explains the expansive expressway network in NB and NS (aside from federal largesse)?
I copied some of my response in a MB Highway thread regarding this exact statement.

Population density and flood protection infrastructure are big reasons Manitoba lags behind other provinces.

Population Density

MB Q3 2023 estimate: 1 454 902 residents; land area 553 556 km^2
NB Q3 2023 estimate: 834 691 residents; land area 71 450 km^2

So just at that, Manitoba has ~1.75x the population, but 7.75 times the land to service. I recognize that the north doesn't have as much infrastructure but there still has to be some service out there. To support this, here's an older stat on how many kms of public roads each province had in 2003. MB had almost 87 000 km and NB 31 500 km, so ~2.76 times as many kms of roadway per citizen to maintain and snow clear.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/...tbl001-eng.htm

Flood infrastructure

Flood related infrastructure that MB has had to deal with is a major reason why Saskatchewan, with a population density in the same ballpark, has much greater highway infrastructure.

Just looking at the Red River floodway, which cost 63 million at completion in 1968 (526 million in today's dollars), and its expansion which cost 627 million at full completion in 2014 (790 million today).

The province paid 40% of the original dig and 50% of the expansion, so that is about 605 million in today's dollars that was spent on one piece of the flood protection puzzle in the province. There have also been smaller but not insignificant projects in that time.

The original floodway cost was >90% of the province's annual revenues at the time, and it happened in the mid-60s, and at a critical time when the rest of the continent started rolling out the red carpet for the personal car and building modern highways and freeways.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 7:51 PM

Manitoba's flood protection paid for itself many times over.

Back to highways, Quebec A-35 is seemingly the equivalent of Windows updates that won't get past 99%.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 7:54 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Manitoba's flood protection paid for itself many times over.

Back to highways, Quebec A-35 is seemingly the equivalent of Windows updates that won't get past 99%.
A-50 can feel like that too. Only parts of the widening on the east side of Gatineau were opened because groundwater infiltrated under the WB overpass atop Rte-309…

As for A-35, though, there was technically something late last year: https://www.wcax.com/2023/10/11/key-...outputType=amp

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 9:06 PM

Premier Ford at a conference today:

I believe this may be a rumoured tunneled widening of the 401 through Central Toronto. The PCs had some telephone polling on it a while ago, apparently in partnership with Transurban, an Australian company which has built many of the tunneled highways in Australia. Transurban already operates a toll bridge in Montreal, so they do have a presence here.

I imagine it would be tolled to finance it as it would be ridiculously expensive.

I also wouldn't put too much stock into it actually happening as it would be insanely expensive and likely not supported by other parties, which would be basically required to get it to construction, unless the PCs have an illustriously long term in government.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

I believe this may be a rumoured tunneled widening of the 401 through Central Toronto. The PCs had some telephone polling on it a while ago, apparently in partnership with Transurban, an Australian company which has built many of the tunneled highways in Australia. Transurban already operates a toll bridge in Montreal, so they do have a presence here.

I imagine it would be tolled to finance it as it would be ridiculously expensive.

I also wouldn't put too much stock into it actually happening as it would be insanely expensive and likely not supported by other parties, which would be basically required to get it to construction, unless the PCs have an illustriously long term in government.
Was it definitely a highway-related rumour?

Could it not be something like a massive nuclear power plant?

EDIT: Never mind - was a presentation to a road builders conference.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 4:17 AM

According to the MTQ's interactive traffic flow map, updated in January 2024, the A-15 in Saint-Jérôme reaches a AADT of 120,000. That's 45km from downtown Montreal.

A-15
52,000 in Saint-Sauveur
120,000 in St-Jérôme
160,000 in Blainville-Mirabel
185,000 in Sainte-Thérèse , 500m north of the A-15/A-640 interchange
175,000 on the Médéric-Martin bridge in Laval-Montreal
160,000 on Décarie highway
135,000 on the Turcot interchange

that's about 55km of continuous 120,000+

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

Do you have any more information about the rumored tunnel? I Googled "Highway 401 tunnel" and found info about a proposed GO Train tunnel under the Highway 401/409 interchange.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 7:01 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
According to the MTQ's interactive traffic flow map, updated in January 2024, the A-15 in Saint-Jérôme reaches a AADT of 120,000. That's 45km from downtown Montreal.

A-15
52,000 in Saint-Sauveur
120,000 in St-Jérôme
160,000 in Blainville-Mirabel
185,000 in Sainte-Thérèse , 500m north of the A-15/A-640 interchange
175,000 on the Médéric-Martin bridge in Laval-Montreal
160,000 on Décarie highway
135,000 on the Turcot interchange

that's about 55km of continuous 120,000+
ON-401 can probably easily beat that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
Do you have any more information about the rumored tunnel? I Googled "Highway 401 tunnel" and found info about a proposed GO Train tunnel under the Highway 401/409 interchange.
It’s literally just rumour right now.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 5:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Feds will stop investing in 'large' road projects, environment minister says
Steven Guilbeault revised his comments after saying Ottawa would stop investing in new road infrastructure
John Paul Tasker · CBC News · Posted: Feb 14, 2024 12:10 PM AST | Last Updated: 7 minutes ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gui...oads-1.7114867

Quote:
"There will be no more envelopes from the federal government to enlarge the road network," Guilbeault said, according to quotes published in the Montreal Gazette.

"We can very well achieve our goals of economic, social and human development without more enlargement of the road network."

Guilbeault said the federal government is intent on moving people out of their cars and into public transportation, which the government has spent billions to build.

He said the federal government also wants to encourage "active transit," which means getting people to walk and cycle.
In a country as large as Canada, with weather as fickle as Canada's, Guilbeault's comments seem pretty tone deaf. This guy is both out of touch and out to lunch........

Yet another nail in the coffin of this Liberal administration.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 5:40 PM

That's quite the statement for sure.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 5:43 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I see the backlash gaining ground.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 5:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I see the backlash gaining ground.
The more the Liberals shoot themselves in the foot, the less concerned I become of PP's obvious deficiencies.

It's time to throw the virtue signaling woke bums out. A four year PP interregnum of Conservative chaos is a small price to pay for a complete reset down the road and a return to normalcy.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 6:27 PM

I wouldn’t be so mad about a statement like this if the feds had a concrete plan to roll out actual high-speed rail and expand rapid transit into the smaller metro areas of the country. They obviously don’t, though, so I cannot possibly figure out why someone would willingly come out and make such a braindead announcement like this.

Our road network is still very far away from complete or even reliable, especially for roads like BC Highway 1, where the feds are literally the ones that have to complete the twinning on a large portion of the highway.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Steven Guilbeault revised his comments after saying Ottawa would stop investing in new road infrastructure
John Paul Tasker · CBC News · Posted: Feb 14, 2024 12:10 PM AST | Last Updated: 7 minutes ago

In a country as large as Canada, with weather as fickle as Canada's, Guilbeault's comments seem pretty tone deaf. This guy is both out of touch and out to lunch........

As someone who has stood by the federal Liberals for a long time, this is incredibly disappointing for me to learn about. It is extremely out of touch.

Even if we, hypothetically, entirely eliminate passenger vehicles from highways, we still have trucks that need modern and safe highways to transport goods across the country as well as in and out of the country.

I'm guessing Guilbeault has never seen the Trans-Canada Highway between Ottawa and Kamloops, particularly through Northern Ontario. Or the situation we have in Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley.

I wouldn't be so irritated by this if the federal government had a plan to improve intercity rail and regional public transit. Joe Biden has a plan for intercity rail in the United States; where's our plan?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 8:22 PM

What I don't understand is why traffic in our big cities and even on rural highways continues to get worse by the day.

It's not like Trudeau has sent our housing costs into the stratosphere resulting in people having to move long distances away from their jobs and hence commute by car because there is no transit service. It's not like we have a booming economy because, under Trudeau, he has made sure we have a shrinking one and have had for 18 months and he has ensured that trend will continue. It's not like more people are working because unemployment is edging up and most of the new jobs created are part time. It's not like Trudeau offers bribes to wealthy EV owners to buy new cars but doesn't offer a dime to help transit agencies with their operational costs. It's not like we don't have great train service. True, you can't get from Calgary to Edmonton via the train but you can from Prince Rupert to Prince George and that stretch of highway is far busier than HWY#2. Finally, it's certainly not because Trudeau has an open-door immigration policy letting in 1.2 million new suckers into the country every year.

I can truly not wait until we see the back of these lunatics.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 8:44 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:

^This is idiotic - what fantasy world is this guy (Guilbeault) living in?
Has he driven from Calgary to Vancouver (for just one example)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Our road network is still very far away from complete or even reliable, especially for roads like BC Highway 1, where the feds are literally the ones that have to complete the twinning on a large portion of the highway.
^Exactly!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
^This is idiotic - what fantasy world is this guy (Guilbeault) living in?
Has he driven from Calgary to Vancouver (for just one example)?

^Exactly!
Guilbault has never owned a car. A completley out of touch grown assed man that may not even have a drivers license.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
Guilbault has never owned a car. A completley out of touch grown assed man that may not even have a drivers license.
Ah, so he's probably part of F*ckCars on Reddit.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 11:57 PM
菠蘿油

I turn 40 this year and I've never owned a car.

Am I still a man?!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada