HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 2:35 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It already looks like an airport terminal. Why not just build a runway next door.......
The airport isn’t that far away.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 7:45 AM

The concept reminds me of Aberdeen Mall in Richmond, BC, which is anchored, in part, by a Daiso. I’m not sure if this mall will have a Daiso but I sure hope so! That’s a fun store! A T&T grocery store would also be a good draw! If those two stores were to locate here, it might be the catalyst to get the remaining stores opened sooner rather than later!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 11:24 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
The concept reminds me of Aberdeen Mall in Richmond, BC, which is anchored, in part, by a Daiso. I’m not sure if this mall will have a Daiso but I sure hope so! That’s a fun store! A T&T grocery store would also be a good draw! If those two stores were to locate here, it might be the catalyst to get the remaining stores opened sooner rather than later!
Yes, I think a T and T would definitely be a great anchor tenant for this mall. A Daiso (or the Chinese brand Miniso) would definitely be great too.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 12:37 PM
BANNED

Did Calgary really need another mega shopping centre?

Geeze.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 12:47 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Unfortunately I don’t think it’s configured to have any large anchor tenants. It’s literally all tiny glass cubicles that have been sold to investors. Unless like 100 of them teamed up to sell them off to a T&T there is no space for something that size.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 1:16 PM

That new mall in Calgary appears to be a very specialized property, much like the Pacific Mall in Markham. Lots of small owner-operated kiosks catering to a largely Asian clientele. Not an unreasonable proposition on its own.

However, the problem with the mall appears to be that it's a good hike away away from the built up portion of the city. Maybe Cross Iron Mills nearby can draw people, but you aren't going to drive a huge distance out to New Horizon Mall to buy a iPhone case, bubble tea and whatever other tchotchkes this mall will sell. It looks like this mall just needs the city to catch up with it.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Did Calgary really need another mega shopping centre?

Geeze.
Clearly not.

Wrong style mall, at the wrong time, in the wrong location.

Given the global retail slowdown this mall is unlikely to get better.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 2:37 AM

I hate to say this, I really do but demographic shifts may be responsible for dead malls here in Canada. The GTA for example is now predominately immigrants and refugees, many not wealthy who can not afford to ''shop till they drop''. Just a fact.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 3:01 AM

International Village is pretty dead, the movie theatre is one of the only reasons most people will go there. Many use it to pass through.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 3:12 AM

International village is such a weird mall. I wouldn’t call it dead or active, as it has some popular aspects (the theatre as you said, the food court does okay, Daiso cleans up well, as does the Shoppers, and even some of those weird expensive item stores seem to have survived over a decade) but then you get the dark empty corridors. It’s so odd.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah89 View Post
I hate to say this, I really do but demographic shifts may be responsible for dead malls here in Canada. The GTA for example is now predominately immigrants and refugees, many not wealthy who can not afford to ''shop till they drop''. Just a fact.
Malls are doing just fine in Toronto, and some of the city’s busiest malls are in immigrant heavy neighbourhoods. Some immigrant families in Toronto are also incredibly wealthy (though many are poor as well).

I sense an agenda in the above comment.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 6:20 AM

International Village has gotten busier lately, I wouldn't classify it as dead. They have a bunch of co-working or education-insudstry business in there now so much fuller than it was a few years ago. And the Cat cafe (Catfe) has brought quite a lot of traffic. Even Goldie's opended up there and is doing pretty well. But yes there are those dark corridors as well still there, but seems less so now. I think the way it is designed (with that massive central hall which is always busy with kiosks and crowds) makes it never seem "dead"

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
International Village has gotten busier lately, I wouldn't classify it as dead. They have a bunch of co-working or education-insudstry business in there now so much fuller than it was a few years ago. And the Cat cafe (Catfe) has brought quite a lot of traffic. Even Goldie's opended up there and is doing pretty well. But yes there are those dark corridors as well still there, but seems less so now. I think the way it is designed (with that massive central hall which is always busy with kiosks and crowds) makes it never seem "dead"
Really? I was there for the film festival last month and was surprised at how many vacant storefronts there were. I can't believe foreigners send their kids to sketchy schools in malls. "I have a diploma from Food Fair College"! WTF?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 5:02 PM

I also found that comment about GTA to be odd. I try to avoid malls and the biggest reason is that they are so damn crowded. I'm talking about the bigger ones in the GTA.

In the last 10 years it seems they all renovated and expanded and attracted higher end tenants.

In the last few years lots of malls I've been in or passed by and saw full or fullish parking lots and just too many damn people. Those included Eaton Centre, Sherway, Yorkdale, Fairview, Scarboro Town, Bramalea CC, Square One, Mapleview, Vaughan Mills.

Quote:
Canada’s top shopping centres continue
to thrive. An impressive eight centres
boast annual sales per square foot that
exceed $1,000 with several others close
behind.

Of the top 30 malls listed, 11 are in the
Greater Toronto Area

While most of the top malls feature a
mix of retailers, a substantial number
have a growing list of luxury retailers.
https://portal.retailcouncil.org/_en...=1539960522624

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 10:40 PM

I would imagine that the Woodbine Centre is not doing very well, recently losing Sears, having lost Zellers/Target a few years back, and its general isolation are probably not doing it any favours.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 11:28 PM

Wrong thread hahaha

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 9:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 7:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 7:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Ontario’s failed downtown malls

This is actually a very well-argued article.

seanmarshall

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 8:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

flikr

Ghosts of Walfart/Wootco

wootstock blandford sq memories (Facebook)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada