HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:24 AM

GYMNASTICS: Black helps Canada make history
Fourth-place finish at worlds secures berth at 2020 Summer Olympics
Willy Palov The Chronicle Herald October 30 2018

Ellie Black and the Canadian women’s team made history at the Artistic Gymnastics World Championships in Doha, Qatar, on Tuesday.

Canada finished fourth in the team competition, narrowly missing a medal behind powerhouses from the United States, Russia and China.

It is the highest finish ever by a Canadian women’s team.

“I’m so proud of the girls today,” Halifax’s Black said in a news release.

“They went out and did their jobs. We had a few mistakes but there were so many positives, so many good parts of the day. We ended up making history coming fourth as a team in team finals — our best-ever result and we

couldn’t be more happy with that. I think we represented Canada just the way we like to — with a smile and aggression and never giving up.”

The other team members are Sophie Marois of Ile Bizard, Que., Brooklyn Moors of Cambridge, Ont., Shallon Olsen of Surrey, B.C., and Ana Padurariu of Whitby, Ont.

The group compiled a score of 161.644 and automatically qualified Canada for the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.

The U.S. put up a total of 171.629 to win its fourth straight world title. The gap between Russia and eighth-place Germany was all of 3.43 points, less than half of the margin between first and second.

“Today went really well,” coach David Kikuchi of Halifax said in a news release.

“We had a couple of little mistakes but a whole lot of great routines, but every country can say exactly the same thing. It’s so encouraging to be up near the podium twice in a row and to prove that it wasn’t a fluke on day one and that we are becoming a force to be reckoned with.”

The next phase of the championship is the men’s individual all-around competition on Wednesday, followed by the women’s individual all-around event on Thursday.

Black is the defending silver medallist and is positioned well for another podium finish.

Black will also compete in vault on Friday and beam on Saturday.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 12:08 AM
is watching.

I was somewhat surprised by this. I usually don't give much thought to the charitable foundations set up by pro sports.

Pro sports charities hoarding cash, overspending on fundraising, watchdog says

CBC News · Posted: Oct 31, 2018 https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...rity-1.4884705

Quote:
Group cites lack of transparency, high fundraising costs and excessive cash reserves

Each of the eight foundations attached to Canada's NHL, NBA and MLB teams were recently evaluated by Charity Intelligence Canada (CIC). It found while the foundations are all quite successful at raising funds, they get poor marks for financial transparency, hoarding cash and over-spending on fundraising, based on analysis of their financial statements of the past three fiscal years.

"These are some of the largest charities in Canada. They're in the top four per cent. They're bringing in $47 million a year in donations, and Canadians expect charities to have open books and let donors know how the charities are spending their money," said CIC managing director Kate Bahen.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 12:31 AM

Calgarians head to polls for 2026 plebiscite
The Canadian Press tsn.ca November 13 2018

CALGARY — Calgarians have headed to the polls to declare whether they want the city to host a second Winter Games.

The question "are you for or are you against hosting the 2026 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games?" was posed to them Tuesday in a plebiscite to help determine whether the city should move ahead with a bid.

Polls close at 10 p.m. EST

As of 3 p.m. EST, nearly 131,000 votes were cast, including through advance polls and mail-in ballots. There were 767,734 eligible voters in Calgary on the 2018 list that was provided by the province of Alberta.

Returning officer Laura Kennedy said plebiscite-day voting was on track to match the turnout for the 2017 municipal election.

"It's going very, very well," Kennedy said. "I'm very pleased with how well it's going."

Calgary was the host city of the 1988 Winter Olympics.

The legacy venues from those games form the foundation of a potential second bid, which would now include the Paralympic Games.

While the result of the vote is non-binding on a city council that has the final say, the vote will influence council's decision.

The plebiscite was a condition of the Alberta government providing money for a bid. The provincial government is paying for the $2-million cost of the plebiscite.

In an estimated $5.1-billion total price tag to host the games, the public investment asked of three orders of government is $2.875 billion.

What a cost-sharing agreement between the federal, provincial and municipal governments would look like wasn't clear to the public until Oct. 31, which was less than two weeks before the vote.

The city has been asked to contribute $390 million, while the province has committed $700 million and the Canadian government $1.45 billion.

The bid corporation Calgary 2026 says games revenues will cover the remaining cost.

No order of government is providing guarantees against cost overruns, but Calgary 2026 has built $1.1 billion in contingency funds into its draft hosting plan.

Calgary 2026's plans includes $502 million to upgrade legacy venues from the '88 Games to get them Olympic-read again.

The two new sport venues proposed are an indoor fieldhouse and a 5,000-seat ice arena.

No new stadium or NHL-sized arena is in the draft host plan, although there have been overtures between the city and the Calgary Flames to re-start talks on a new arena.

Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi feels the current proposed plan and financial agreement is good for the city and thus supports a bid.

"I really want people to make their decision based on what's before us because we know that's solid and that's certain and even that, I think leads to lots of benefits for Calgary," the mayor said.

The International Olympic Committee will accept bids from 2026 candidate cities in January. The election of the host city is in June.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 10:45 PM
ハルウララ

VNL is coming back to the Nation's Capital

https://www.volleyball.ca/en/news/vn...tion-s-capital

After an exciting debut last June, Men’s Volleyball Nations League will return to the Arena at TD Place in 2019.

Team Canada will go up against Australia, Germany and Serbia in Ottawa on week 2 (June 7 to 9) of the five-week pool play stage of the event.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:45 PM

If you've never seen HIGH level volleyball, do your best to go check this out. It's amazing.

And our men's national team is GOOD

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
If you've never seen HIGH level volleyball, do your best to go check this out. It's amazing.
I agree. I'm not a volleyball nut by any stretch but back when the women's national team was based in Winnipeg I attended matches at their international tournaments at the U. of Winnipeg... I remember being blown away, it was awesome to watch.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:27 PM
the first stamp is free

High level volleyball is just about my favorite sport to watch - was my favorite to play in as well.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneSpotter View Post
I was somewhat surprised by this. I usually don't give much thought to the charitable foundations set up by pro sports.

Pro sports charities hoarding cash, overspending on fundraising, watchdog says

CBC News · Posted: Oct 31, 2018 https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...rity-1.4884705

Ooh look at Calgary. Thumbs down.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:45 PM

Melynk's probably paying the team salaries out of the donations.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
High level volleyball is just about my favorite sport to watch - was my favorite to play in as well.
It's a great sport to watch but I only really do so during the Olympics. I was surprised to learn a few years ago that some countries have pro leagues that draw multiple thousands of people to games.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's a great sport to watch but I only really do so during the Olympics. I was surprised to learn a few years ago that some countries have pro leagues that draw multiple thousands of people to games.
It's a pretty big deal in Europe from what I can recall.

It's a very exciting sport, and most people are familiar with it from school. In some respects it's a little surprising that there aren't some pro circuits around in North America... well, maybe there are, but if so they are extremely low profile.

I wouldn't necessarily expect volleyball to be a massive draw, but cripes it's more exciting than baseball and how many minor league ball teams out there routinely draw 5,000 fans a game?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's one of the most popular sports in the Netherlands. A friend took me to to watch when I was there and it is a great spectator event.

I think the Dutch may have the most eclectic group of popular sports between field hockey, speed skating, and volleyball.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:56 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wouldn't necessarily expect volleyball to be a massive draw, but cripes it's more exciting than baseball and how many minor league ball teams out there routinely draw 5,000 fans a game?
As an FYI: The FIVB Nations League in Ottawa last summer averaged 2,870 attendance per match over six matches. The final game between Canada and the US was just shy of 3,900 in attendance. This was higher than a lot of the other pools I took a cursory glance at but couldn't give you any firm numbers.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Melynk's probably paying the team salaries out of the donations.
Haha!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 10:13 AM

Ok, so now it's getting to be a bit much...

Saskatoon Hilltops dynasty of winning the 111th Canadian Bowl in the Canadian Junior Football League continues with the lopsided 58-21 victory over the Langley BC Rams yesterday in Saskatoon. This makes them the most winningest Canadian Championship team in the last half Century. The Hilltops Head Coach Tom Sargeant has now won 12 National Championship Games.

https://twitter.com/SaskHilltops?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

This is the Fifth straight year that the Saskatoon Hilltops have won Canada's Oldest Football Championship & Ninth of the last Ten times a Saskatchewan team has won the National Title.
Saskatoon last hosted the Canadian Bowl at SMFF Stadium in 2015.

https://www.cjfl.org/

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
I agree. I'm not a volleyball nut by any stretch but back when the women's national team was based in Winnipeg I attended matches at their international tournaments at the U. of Winnipeg... I remember being blown away, it was awesome to watch.
I'm a volleyball coach so I have an extra bit of love for it. But between the men and women's indoor teams and the beach program, very, very good.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
It's a pretty big deal in Europe from what I can recall.

It's a very exciting sport, and most people are familiar with it from school. In some respects it's a little surprising that there aren't some pro circuits around in North America... well, maybe there are, but if so they are extremely low profile.

It's very big in Europe, but maybe even bigger in some central American countries (Turkey) and South America (Brazil). They all have so many different leagues at so many different levels.

You'd be SHOCKED at the salaries that some of these players make.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 7:16 PM

I go back to Garth Pischke, in the olden days, and now his daughter Taylor plays.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 7:20 PM

So too did his son Dane. Who's now an assistant coach at University of Manitoba I believe.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
So too did his son Dane. Who's now an assistant coach at University of Manitoba I believe.
I saw he played at the university level while Taylor is a pro and Olympian. I saw at Wikipedia about Garth being the IVA ROY and MVP, did he not star in Europe? He was a big deal back then IIRC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada