The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark2 View Post
From my quick weekend in Chicago (yesterday and saturday):

and to answer the question by doomsdayprepper: Vista along with a project in Beverly Hills were sold to a Canadian mall developer Triple Five Group
Great pictures!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Glass is full go October 1st.

Credit to the forumers, 24/7 is not doable due to noise constraints but it's safe to expect 10 hour days on the weekdays and 8 on weekends.

I heard they have to maintain a schedule of 2 floors a week. Seven 12s sounds more likely

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 11:54 PM

Has anybody considered the possibility that they will increase the manpower instead? 2 crews can install 2 floors a week no OT required. (See NEMA)

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 1:56 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Wow. Triple Five has sure upped its game. They started here in Edmonton in the early eighties building the world's largest shopping mall "West Edmonton Mall" (no longer the world's largest but still north America's largest). Then they build Mall of America and a few other things. Now they're investing in this? I'm impressed.

I had my first job at West Edmonton Mall working in the theme park as a game operator at 16 years old and these guys (the Ghermezian brothers - aka Triple Five) used to drive around in their little scooters telling us how to do our jobs, but as kids we had no idea who they were. "Who are these old guys yelling at us?" we used to say to each other. Ha ha! We had no idea they owned the whole damn mall. Good times.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:18 AM

Those last two pictures are absolutely jaw dropping... And to imagine, there should be another few supertalls in that picture in the near future. That Hancock view just keeps getting better than the one from Sears

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Glass is full go October 1st.

Credit to the forumers, 24/7 is not doable due to noise constraints but it's safe to expect 10 hour days on the weekdays and 8 on weekends.
.......so they are starting the glass installation next week ?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Has anybody considered the possibility that they will increase the manpower instead? 2 crews can install 2 floors a week no OT required. (See NEMA)
I heard there will be multiple crews. "It'll be all hands on deck.."

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 1:53 PM

I really hope someone does a timelapse of all the glass going up. I have a feeling it will look so much more visually astounding than watching a building go up along with its glass in fast motion.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:13 PM

Yeah this building is turning out quite striking and there isn't even any glass yet. The shape is actually much more defined from a distance than I thought it would be, the various layers of frustrums is already quite visible from the Kennedy.

I also like how the Frustrum pattern of the middle section seems different than the upper and lower section because there are only two rows of frustrums instead of 3 at the bottom and top. Because of that the middle section appears as if the frustrums are "in sync" with each other so the building appears to "sway" while at the top and bottom sections the frustrums appear opposite to one another and the building bows outward. I'm just now realizing how difficult it is to articulate what I'm talking about here, but it's a really nice effect and something I've never seen before. The whole building appears to "zig zag" from the Kennedy.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:30 PM

Let's see how it looks glassed up at different times of day, but this is arguably the best new skyscraper in the country along with 111/57.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 4:08 PM

it will be interesting to see how the glass has changed given all the problems. I thought it was supposed to include some different shading to add to the undulating effect of the building's shape. Hopefully that didn't go out the window.. (see what I did there?)

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
it will be interesting to see how the glass has changed given all the problems. I thought it was supposed to include some different shading to add to the undulating effect of the building's shape. Hopefully that didn't go out the window.. (see what I did there?)
Problem was with the window frames, people in this thread said the original windows are going up, no design changes

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Yeah this building is turning out quite striking and there isn't even any glass yet. The shape is actually much more defined from a distance than I thought it would be, the various layers of frustrums is already quite visible from the Kennedy.

I also like how the Frustrum pattern of the middle section seems different than the upper and lower section because there are only two rows of frustrums instead of 3 at the bottom and top. Because of that the middle section appears as if the frustrums are "in sync" with each other so the building appears to "sway" while at the top and bottom sections the frustrums appear opposite to one another and the building bows outward. I'm just now realizing how difficult it is to articulate what I'm talking about here, but it's a really nice effect and something I've never seen before. The whole building appears to "zig zag" from the Kennedy.
Great observation. I have thought exactly this. Amazing how the shape of the building undulates.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 8:03 PM

^*frustums... *frustums...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 9:54 PM
BANNED

I’ve noticed the zig zag effect as well, especially in the early or late hours when all you can see is her silhouette. SoMi Tower has the same thing going on, depending on your angle. .

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 10:01 PM

Does anyone have an idea of current height? If I remember correctly someone said there was 25+ floors to go?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have an idea of current height? If I remember correctly someone said there was 25+ floors to go?

Aqua is set back 1 block from the plane (E. Wacker) of Vista and Aon is 2 blocks back, so this is a pretty good idea of the height so far. Core probably approaching 900ft would be my guess.

Last edited by WonderlandPark2; Sep 25, 2018 at 11:41 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark2 View Post

Aqua is set back 1 block from the plane (E. Wacker) of Aqua and Aon is 2 blocks back, so this is a pretty good idea of the height so far. Core probably approaching 900ft would be my guess.
Insightful. Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 11:18 PM

Awesome photoshopping there Wonderland. Definitely gives a good idea of how much more there is to expect!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 7:39 PM

Arrow Glass coming soon

There is glass positioned for installation on majority of southwest face of the building, probably more I can't see

Looks like most objects wrapped in white are glass panels, plus some unwrapped on floors 5 & 6. Scaffolding looking stuff is a climbing framework which they will use to install facade on the shear walls.

Ironworkers installing the new style of window frames farther up the building

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture