HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 1:02 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I wonder if this is a large group or a few vocal NIMBYs. In my opinion, this development will increase nearby property values.
If there were a significant number of people opposing the development it probably would have been mentioned. In the past these "groups" have sometimes been 1 or 2 people who managed to get a couple signatures. Back when Gladstone Ridge was proposed the media kept going to the same couple who lived in a nearby house.

In this particular case the guy also does not have anything approaching a reasonable argument that would hold up at the NSUARB. Properties are rezoned all the time and the fallacious slippery slope argument about future developments is totally irrelevant.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 1:22 AM

This was my favorite part of the article:

Quote:
Connaught-Quinpool Coun. Jennifer Watts said she has heard some concerns about the development. But the councillor said encouraging residential density on the peninsula should also be considered.

“This site has been vacant for many, many, many years,” said Watts on Sunday.

“Part of what I’m hearing is that we don’t want more traffic in that area, but the bigger picture (is) if we don’t build up density actually on the peninsula … it just might mean there will be more and more people living off the peninsula and driving in.”
Maybe - just maybe she's starting to get it...
You know what would be interesting is if WM Fares did a mock up of what the existing zoning allowed at worst case. I wonder if people would be quite so happy to support leaving the zoning alone if they saw how close up the building could be...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 1:32 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Watts is far too conservative in terms of the scale of developments that she supports, but her comment on traffic was a good one. A lot of people don't even remotely get traffic and regional planning.

I think a huge part of it is that people look at their own lifestyle and extrapolate based on that -- so if they have 2 cars for their household and they drive at rush hour they think everybody in the 27 unit building will. That's not how it works. In Fenwick car ownership is something ridiculously low like 10-20% (if I recall correctly -- it was in an article that also talked about traffic issues) and some of those people probably do not have to commute at peak times (seniors typically try to avoid busy times). On balance these buildings can be good for traffic if they make transit more viable for everybody, including those living in houses who would not have bus service if their neighbourhood were only low density.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 1:33 AM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
This was my favorite part of the article:

Maybe - just maybe she's starting to get it...
You know what would be interesting is if WM Fares did a mock up of what the existing zoning allowed at worst case. I wonder if people would be quite so happy to support leaving the zoning alone if they saw how close up the building could be...
Watts is one of the most intelligent councillors we've got.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
But she has absolutely no common sense.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 2:39 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
But she has absolutely no common sense.
Differing political views doesn't mean that she lacks common sense.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Agreed.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 3:57 PM
we built this city

Quote:
I'd have to disagree, she definitely lacks common sense. The whole mission against any and all motor vehicle transit improvements is insanity. (i.e. even a discussion about widening Bayers Rd.)

People will always drive cars... they will likely be electric in the future.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 3:58 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Also, intelligence does not mean common sense... some of the smartest people are the most clueless when it comes to logical planning activities.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 5:44 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Even the most intelligent politicians have stupid constituents to please.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 6:35 PM

Watts agenda

I get the impression that Watts has her own agenda, to keep her world just like it is. The door to Halifax was closed right behind her and nobody else should be permitted to move into the city, or use the facilities in the city other than what they are used for now.
I don't think she is interested in development and encourages opposition to development at public meetings.
She does speak and presents her point of view very well.
That's how I see it; just my opinion

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 7:35 PM

She takes her marching orders from Kommissar Howard Epstein and is a puppet for the Ecology Action Center. Her first motion after getting elected was to get HRM to ban bottled water. She thinks 7 storey buildings are as tall as should be allowed and that they should be made out of wood.

I rest my case.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 1:56 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Here is a quick site shot I took today.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 4:21 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yeah, that shows just how run down the corner looks. A new building will be a huge improvement and will probably bring up property values. It's crazy that people fight to preserve some of these places that are unattractive and more importantly, at the end of the day, benefit nobody aside from maybe vandals and advertising agencies. Downtown Dartmouth around the canal is similar.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 2:09 AM

This project is moving forward. First Reading for the rezoning and proposed DA is on Monday March 18th (2013).

http://www.halifax.ca/Commcoun/west/...fordStreet.pdf

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 3:50 AM

Rezoning and Development Agreement public hearing is set for Monday April 22nd at the Halifax & West Community Council meeting.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 5:18 AM

Jesus from that picture Bayers Road looks in rough shape! Can't wait for this to be built (and hopefully the road repaired).
Just read through the report and the minutes of the Public Information Meeting (PIM) - looks like support for the project tended to be higher than opposition; which is good.

Last edited by halifaxboyns; Mar 20, 2013 at 5:32 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Jesus from that picture Bayers Road looks in rough shape! Can't wait for this to be built (and hopefully the road repaired).
No, we're not allowed to do that in Halifax. Apparently having decent roads leads to spontaneous development and economic growth, which the planning types say is bad for us. No we will continue with our plan to rip up all paved roads and replace them with dirt cartpaths to encourage people to live in hovels on the peninsula. It's sound planning theory.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 5:03 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

According to ANS, the developers of this project plan to begin construction this summer. They're not waiting to pre-sell units.

The article also mentioned an 11 or 12 storey project on Robie Street in the North End, in addition to the 19 storey Lion's Head Tavern redevelopment.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 3:09 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
According to ANS, the developers of this project plan to begin construction this summer. They're not waiting to pre-sell units.

The article also mentioned an 11 or 12 storey project on Robie Street in the North End, in addition to the 19 storey Lion's Head Tavern redevelopment.
I don't remember seeing anything on a redevelopment on the Lions's Head site, where is this and what is the Robie St. development also?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth