HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Precious little of the facade is still there. In fact it looks like it was deconstructed and partially rebuilt in a more setback location and different configuration than the original. One of the weakest concessions to heritage preservation that I have seen, to be honest.

Current appearance:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64740...7i13312!8i6656
What a terrible loss.

God, city planners were such morons in the 1980s. What a terrible decade for everything: music, planning, politics. You name it. Only, maybe, cartoons were good.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 7:38 PM

Hey, the '80s weren't so bad... for planning yes, they were bad but for most other stuff they were alright.

'80s music is an acquired taste... you had to be there!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 1:19 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Precious little of the facade is still there. In fact it looks like it was deconstructed and partially rebuilt in a more setback location and different configuration than the original. One of the weakest concessions to heritage preservation that I have seen, to be honest.

http://i61.tinypic.com/21j9a4i.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/55f6eb.jpg

Current appearance:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64740...7i13312!8i6656

It is sad that such a beautiful building was torn down.

I like to imagine Halifax with these interesting old buildings, including ones such as the pentagon building, mixed with modern 20, 30 and 40 storey tall buildings. Halifax has achieved this to an extent but could have done better.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I like to imagine Halifax with these interesting old buildings, including ones such as the pentagon building, mixed with modern 20, 30 and 40 storey tall buildings.
That's exactly the vision that I have, in my ideal world. A vibrant, lively downtown with a combination of functional modern and heritage buildings, creating a neighbourhood that has a recognition and respect for the historical aspects of one of the oldest and arguably most interesting cities in North America.

It could still happen, but change has to occur first from the most basic levels of the political, planning, and development communities.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 6:36 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
That's exactly the vision that I have, in my ideal world. A vibrant, lively downtown with a combination of functional modern and heritage buildings, creating a neighbourhood that has a recognition and respect for the historical aspects of one of the oldest and arguably most interesting cities in North America.

It could still happen, but change has to occur first from the most basic levels of the political, planning, and development communities.
Yeah, this is what I would like to see too, and I think it is what a lot of people would actually like even though a lot of people don't see the big picture (many are stuck in the "development vs. heritage preservation" mindset, but it's a false trade-off; you can have both).

HRM by Design and the Barrington Street heritage district have brought planning rules a bit more in line with this vision but there's still a big gap remaining. The city needs to simultaneously provide better heritage protections and throw out pointless and harmful restrictions on development. The Centre Plan also needs to be put in place so that it is easy to grow the downtown core of the city into new areas, removing the incentive to redevelop the same old downtown areas over and over every time land values and demand for new space grow a bit.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 10:58 PM

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 4:22 PM

Wow. Lots of rebar/wiring.

Looks like it was built to last....

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Hey, the '80s weren't so bad... for planning yes, they were bad but for most other stuff they were alright.

'80s music is an acquired taste... you had to be there!
I seriously laughed out loud at this post.

I was there, I was just very young.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I was tempted to respond "But the province is broke" but then I remembered the Yarmouth ferry announcement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Exactly. There's still plenty of money on hand in the provincial budget. It's just being allocated badly. (So, so badly.)
There's always money in Nova Scotia budgets for cynical and craven vote-buying, which usually involves throwing hundreds of millions at various inane, dying, rural services or industries, that basically have been declining since the early 19th Century.

NDP did it with their hundreds of millions in give aways to polluting pulp mills.

The Liberals, careful to buy as many votes in the south shore as possible, is now throwing probably $150-200m over 10 years to some stupid ferry that goes to a port that doesn't even want it and where tourists have zero interests in going (Portland) and can't even ship our most important resource products (fish via trucks).

I swear you would have to sit down and actually think hard to come up with a way to invest so much money so stupidly. Stephen McNeil, ladies and gentlemen.

Even better: ALL THREE PARTIES SUPPORT THE FERRY DEAL. I mean you can't write this stuff.

Like I said: Nova Scotia politics is a moron magnet of galactic proportions.

</off topic rant>

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 7:34 PM

Hey counterfactual: could you explain how you got the multi-quote button to do that? As in perhaps step by step? I tried forever last week and no dice. The help/FAQ file here was not useful either.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Hey counterfactual: could you explain how you got the multi-quote button to do that? As in perhaps step by step? I tried forever last week and no dice. The help/FAQ file here was not useful either.
Hey Keith, if you can believe, I actually do it manually. I first "replied" to your post, then copied the quote and then "replied" to Dry, and then pasted in the quote/text from your post, to my reply to Dry and just went from there.

So, like you, I can't figure out multi-quote, i just do it the old fashion way!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Hey Keith, if you can believe, I actually do it manually. I first "replied" to your post, then copied the quote and then "replied" to Dry, and then pasted in the quote/text from your post, to my reply to Dry and just went from there.

Click the multi-quote button on each message you want to quote. You'll note that the button outlines turn red.

Then click the quote button on the last message (right beside the last multi-quote button you just clicked.)

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by portapetey View Post
Click the multi-quote button on each message you want to quote. You'll note that the button outlines turn red.

Then click the quote button on the last message (right beside the last multi-quote button you just clicked.)

Well, look at that.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 5:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Well, look at that.
That's brilliant.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 11:50 AM

I guess what they say about old dogs and new tricks is wrong, except for me, that is way over my head and paygrade.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 1:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Well, look at that.
Quote:
That's brilliant.
Ha! You learn something new every day... thanks for the tip!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I guess what they say about old dogs and new tricks is wrong, except for me, that is way over my head and paygrade.
Quote:
That's brilliant.
Quote:
Well, look at that.
Quote:

Quote:
Ha! You learn something new every day... thanks for the tip!
Well, this escalated quickly.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 2:27 PM

Quote:
I seriously laughed out loud at this post.

I was there, I was just very young.
I should have added that you had to be of drinking age...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 4:11 PM

Not much left of this one

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 8:45 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth