HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 12:48 AM
cities|transit|croissants

SC4 - questions about region terrains

Hi. I just bought SC4 and want to get started, but before I do I want a fully terraformed region terrain. That is to say, I want my entire region filled with mountains and rivers before I begin building a single city.

Using the in-game terraforming tool I have to go individual "city" by individual city, so setting up a full region would take forever.

Is there a better way to do it?

Secondly, can I download regions? If so, how do I go about importing them to the game? I get the impression that I can, but the Maxis website is completely unhelpful.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 12:39 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Hi. I just bought SC4 and want to get started, but before I do I want a fully terraformed region terrain. That is to say, I want my entire region filled with mountains and rivers before I begin building a single city.

Using the in-game terraforming tool I have to go individual "city" by individual city, so setting up a full region would take forever.

Is there a better way to do it?

Secondly, can I download regions? If so, how do I go about importing them to the game? I get the impression that I can, but the Maxis website is completely unhelpful.
Unfortunately you do need to teraform city by city. I've created regions twice before when I had more time, and I don't think I would do it again. Takes too much time.

http://www.simtropolis.com/ has all sorts of stuff you can download, including regions. I recommend checking out the downloadable "plopables".

You'll have fun with SC4, God know I've wasted whole months on that game. Haven't touched it in about a year because I finally broke the addiction and it was tough to do.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:11 PM

I've actually discovered a couple of ways to do whole regions at a time. Will share if anyone is interested.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:42 PM
important

please share.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 12:41 AM
Here we stAy

Yes, share with everyone Cirrus.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 9:21 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I just bought it recently too (see my thread...which nobody has posted in ) and spent a while and did half of my region, though mostly water, very few hills.

I think I pretty much suck at the game so far. I have three cities (25k, 18k, and 9k) and have trouble making money once they get to be sizable cities. But I don't want to hijack your thread, so I'll stop.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 3:50 PM

I didn't play the game for a year due to the money thing. However, it's actually very easy to make money. All you have to do is not provide any services until the citizens demand them, and then don't over do it. I know, it seems counter-intuitive when you have no schools, no police, and barely enough water for a city of 10k, but when you realize that you're not supposed to please everyone you'll make tons of money.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 8:24 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I deleted my first region and started a second today. I only have one city so far, around 5000 people. I'm not expanding too much this time, so I only have one school, and one clinic to serve everyone. And I am making money, not much, but at least it's something.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 3:33 PM

SC4 also has some sort of regional effects on your city. I noticed that having one city by itself wasn't all that great, but when you build 2 or 3 neighboring cities, they end up driving up demand for certain things like jobs and residential.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 8:45 PM
Administrator

I always just use a plop money cheat, because I don't want to waste a bunch of time running the game waiting for cash.

So Cirrus, what happened to that terraforming process? Did you find instructions online about how to make terrain in a graphics editor (like photoshop), and then load it into the game as a region?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 8:20 PM

Oh sorry guys, didn't notice the responses. Yes I did figure it out. I'll pull out my bookmark and post the info here as soon as I get the chance (it's at home and I'm not there right now).

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 2:28 AM

i use SC4 Terraformer to import regions into the game. you need to be a member of the LEX in order to download it. they also have lots of great maps and buildings.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 8:02 PM

I use this site for all my region terrains....

http://www.rebel13.com/SimCity/Home.html
It has about 200 regions already created of different landscapes from around the US and world.

There are easy instructions how to download into SC4.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art