HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
So I think it's something like 1 week to opening at the Village Market. Was curious if anyone has heard any recent leasing progress on the small spaces? I haven't heard about any new leases for several months - we have the supermarket, the steak joint, the nail salon, coffee shop, 2nd and 3rd restaurants (one of them the breakfast place and the other a brasserie).........has progress halted? Definitely seems like more than half of the spaces are still unspoken for (although of course by sq ftge, the leased percent is probably over 70%). I realize this is not an easy leasing market for developers, but I believe they should have been able to land some more tenants in the smaller spaces by now - this project has been in the works for a loooong time....

Still, it's an exciting time for LSE. The Village Market, the hotel in Aqua opens in 5 weeks, and imo what will be one of the best pieces of architecture in this part of the city will soon be rising in the skyline in the form of Coast.........

Is there still a school planned for LSE, or is that dead? Haven't heard a peep on that for at least a few years.....
Well, this answers some of your questions Sam:

Mariano’s supermarket to open downtown

"A Mariano’s Fresh Market grocery store will open next Tuesday at Lakeshore East, the massive mixed-use development on the lakefront immediately south of the Chicago River, according to Magellan Development Group LLC, the project’s developer. Mariano’s, a new chain run by Milwaukee-based Roundy’s Supermarkets Inc., has three stores in the Chicago area — on the North Side and in Arlington Heights and Vernon Hills. In addition to the 55,000-square-foot supermarket, the Dallas-based III Forks Steakhouse chain plans to open a 13,000-square-foot restaurant at Lakeshore East on Wednesday. The supermarket and steakhouse will be in Village Market, a 105,000-square-foot retail center at 333 Benton Place. The property is about 79% leased, according to spokeswoman for Chicago-based Magellan..."

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...field-marianos

"..Two other restaurants preparing for 2012 openings, Maison Brasserie Moderne and Eggy’s breakfast café will provide jobs for dozens more..."

http://www.magellandevelopment.com/company/news/

Also, the CHALK Preschool is now open at The Tides across from the Village Market:

http://www.magellandevelopment.com/c...chool-is-open/

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 9:33 AM
TL;DR

I believe we are taking about a CPS elementary school, or possibly a charter. Not a preschool. The site is in the NE corner of the park next to Shoreham.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 1:58 PM

The talk of the CPS school appears to have been quiet as of the past year or more, with the focus being on the new Ogden school. Originally the LSE school was to be a K-4, and more recently it was was reported to be expanded to a K-8. The location of the school has also been fluid. Originally it was planned to be in the LSE park South of the Shoreham and West of the Lancaster. Then the location of placing it on the open site between the Lancaster and Shoreham was mentioned. The most recent location I've heard is on the lower floors of building "O", which is the site immediately South of Aqua.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 5:16 PM

^I also remember someone here post something about seeing a design for the school to occupy the site just west of the Tides in a 9 story building. . .

. . .

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 3:35 AM

^ Tom, I believe Dubai based GEMS Education was considering the site a couple of years ago that you mention.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 4:25 AM

Does anyone know if the Federal plaza will ever be finished?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 8:45 AM

SoNo 2 and Shops on Fremont

me

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 3:04 PM
TL;DR

^^

10chars

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 3:55 PM

Does the drooly face mean somebody's bored or that they're drooling in love for something? I've just been wondering!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 5:38 PM
TL;DR

no it indicates only the strongest admiration and appreciation. hayward's picture is pretty cool, and the new urban district taking shape is also pretty damn cool.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 9:45 PM
BANNED

^^^I don't know if i'd go as far as describing it as a "new urban district". To me it doesn't look that dissimilar to certain highrise suburban developments like those near old orchard or golf and skokie boulevard.

I think the auto=centric suburban quality of north / halsted has been sealed unfortunately and too the city's long run detriment

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 10:42 PM

I believe the whole definition of "urban" is quite obscure really and if public transit isnt any more accessible, this is what we will get. Welcome to the new Chicago, new neighbors, new rules.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 2:11 AM

http://gizmodo.com/5845790/chicagos-...skirt-umbrella

Function following form? Outside of Plensa, this might be the only public sculpture we have that ended up doubling as a practical object.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 2:14 AM

^ That is hilarious!!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 2:46 AM

Hey sorry these construction photos are a bit misplaced here on the forum, but I biked around the city today and got quite a few updates.

INSTITUTO DEL PROGRESO LATINO HEALTH SCIENCES ACADEMY
Western near Blue Island

STUDENT HOUSING
18th near Pink Line Station

PING TOM MEMORIAL PARK EXTENSION
Chinatown

RONALD MCDONALD HOUSE
Okay...rather it's just a general panorama, but you can see it behind the Trib.

BURBERRY FLAGSHIP
North Michigan Avenue

RITZ CARLTON RESIDENCES
North Michigan Avenue

MULTI-TENANT COMMERCIAL RESTORATION
Oak Street

ROOSEVELT UNIVERSITY
South Wabash Avenue

MIXED-USE BUILDING
Devon Ave.

DAMEN HALL REPLACEMENT ACADEMIC BUILDING
Loyola University - Lakeshore

ADMIRAL
Foster and Marine

OLDTOWN RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT
Wells St.

All photos by me / creative commons

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 2:49 AM

Nice set Hayworth - a busy day.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 3:25 AM

I've passed by that Instituto del Progreso Latino a few times recently and was wondering what was happening. I'm not sure why they've added that facade that covers only part of the building. I suppose it unifies an old and new building together? I would like to hear what people think about it.

That building on Devon looks pretty awful in my opinion. The way it's painted looks pretty cheap and it seems like the top few floors are abandoned.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 2:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
^^^I don't know if i'd go as far as describing it as a "new urban district". To me it doesn't look that dissimilar to certain highrise suburban developments like those near old orchard or golf and skokie boulevard.

I think the auto=centric suburban quality of north / halsted has been sealed unfortunately and too the city's long run detriment
I don't really get why people think this area is that anti-urban. Sure it's no Armitage Ave, but aside from half a dozen medium sized parking lots and streets that really need a complete reconstruction (haven't been improved from their industrial state), it's not really that bad. There is probably many times more parking spaces per store along Michigan Ave than there is along North Ave. With the new developments going in that lack any significant amount of surface parking and filling in a lot of open lots / lowrise industrial buildings, the area will really begin to take on the dense, vibrant, feel that attracts more highrises a la Sono.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 3:28 PM
TL;DR

Tons of new residential units going into an area with serious gridlock = lots of new people on the Red Line and on the buses, or walking to where they need to go.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 4:01 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I don't really get why people think this area is that anti-urban. Sure it's no Armitage Ave, but aside from half a dozen medium sized parking lots and streets that really need a complete reconstruction (haven't been improved from their industrial state), it's not really that bad. There is probably many times more parking spaces per store along Michigan Ave than there is along North Ave. With the new developments going in that lack any significant amount of surface parking and filling in a lot of open lots / lowrise industrial buildings, the area will really begin to take on the dense, vibrant, feel that attracts more highrises a la Sono.
Yes, calling it completely suburban is a mistake, similar to calling Los Angeles suburban. Its way too dense and busy to be compared to Skokie. As a transit user who worked near Old Orchard at one time, I was one of maybe 4 pedestrians per day who walked the sidewalks over there. There is steady stream of pedestrians near North and Clybourn, unfortunately developers haven't gotten the point.

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development