HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 7:03 AM

Seven gate expansion goes to council, International corridor nears completion

I

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 11:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Won't the international gates have to be taken out if the 7-gate expansion is approved? What is the point of adding those couple gates if they're going to be taken out, ya know?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 2:35 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Shirts View Post
Won't the international gates have to be taken out if the 7-gate expansion is approved? What is the point of adding those couple gates if they're going to be taken out, ya know?
Do they really have to be taken out? Can't the new 7 gates just be added on?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 6:08 PM

L

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Logistically they'll figure something out. We're still 18 months out before construction would start on the gates......They have to complete the apron expansion prior to starting the gate expansion.

Lastnight BA personnel were working around gate 2. Also a new cargo container loader has been delivered and is currently parked next to the FedEx plane on the maint. ramp. Can't wait to see the "Speedbird" in Austin.
It is going to be awesome, and I have to quickly find an excuse to go on a European vacation.

So will they do the water cannon thing? Obviously this will be the first scheduled 787 service to ABIA, but will it also be the first time that plane type lands here? Or has one already come due to diversion from IAH or DFW?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
It is going to be awesome, and I have to quickly find an excuse to go on a European vacation.

So will they do the water cannon thing? Obviously this will be the first scheduled 787 service to ABIA, but will it also be the first time that plane type lands here? Or has one already come due to diversion from IAH or DFW?
United has already sent it's 787 here. I believe for a demo. There might have been other diversion flights as well.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 5:57 PM

[q

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 9:19 PM
Meh

http://www.kvue.com/news/business/Fi...247272481.html
Quote:
First Austin-London flight takes off March 3

by KVUE.com
kvue.com
Posted on February 26, 2014 at 10:36 AM

AUSTIN -- The first non-stop flight from Austin to London will take off on Monday, March 3.

British Airways announced last September it would be offering non-stop flights between Austin-Bergstrom International Airport and London Heathrow on Boeing's Dreamliner 787 jet.

Flight BA 191 will land in Austin around 5 p.m. The inaugural departing flight from Austin to London will take off around 7 p.m.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 10:30 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I love how people trust "reporters." 6 p.m. arrival in London? This flight would be dead on arrival if that were the case.

KVUE "reporters"...if a flight leaves Austin at 7 p.m. CST it will arrive in London at 10 a.m. GMT, not 6 p.m.! In the summer, the flight leaves AUS @ roughly 6 p.m. CDT and arrives LHR @ roughly 9 a.m. BST.

Anyway, I've cleared my schedule and plan on being out at ABIA Monday to watch the BA arrival!!! As crazy as that sounds...I've been in this town all my life and am extremely excited about the BA flight. I hope it bodes better than the Air Canada flight to Toronto did! Advertising is key!!! Air Canada did no advertising for their flight and it lasted less than 6 months.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 10:44 PM

I hope it does well also. Too many failed routes can't bode well in terms of confidence for future route expansion by the airlines, especially international. I bet there will be many people counting the occupied seats on this venture.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 1:16 AM

Honestly I have a very good feeling about this route, and BA is promoting it extensively in London and I hear will be hosting a panel at SXSW on relocating your business from the United Kingdom to Austin. I tend to connect through Heathrow at least four times a year and I'm not even a business traveller. Whenever I fly from Heathrow to Austin, my connecting flights at DFW and JFK always have a fairly large share of people who are heading from London to Austin, and the direct is so much cheaper than a connecting flight that frankly I think it's going to be one of our most successful routes.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 2:22 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...ghts-to-austin

They call Texas the largest state. I'll allow it.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 10:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
Honestly I have a very good feeling about this route, and BA is promoting it extensively in London and I hear will be hosting a panel at SXSW on relocating your business from the United Kingdom to Austin. I tend to connect through Heathrow at least four times a year and I'm not even a business traveller. Whenever I fly from Heathrow to Austin, my connecting flights at DFW and JFK always have a fairly large share of people who are heading from London to Austin, and the direct is so much cheaper than a connecting flight that frankly I think it's going to be one of our most successful routes.
I agree. This route will be very successful. I know here in SLC, we would love to have a BA 787 flight to Heathrow. We only have a nonstop flight to Paris on Delta. I would not be surprised to see this Austin-London flight eventually be upgraded to 777 service.

I'm looking forward to seeing the photos from the inaugural flight into AUS.

Good luck to British Airways and Austin!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 1:20 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Did anyone else notice the street light banner signs along the South 1st bridge that say Europe welcomes Austin with a British Airways logo at the bottom. Love it!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 4:20 AM

Gragh, unfortunately the flight arrives Austin when class ends, and leaves Austin when class starts again...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 12:18 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

So did anyone go see BA land? I would have gone if it wasn't so freaking cold. Ironic isn't it, People flying in today were probably originally expecting nice weather but instead its colder here than it is in London lol. By the way I can confirm seeing snowflakes falling this afternoon. They were tiny and just a few but it was snow. Who would have thought that we would see snow in Austin in March.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
So did anyone go see BA land?
The service doesn't start until March 3 (tomorrow.)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 12:38 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
The service doesn't start until March 3 (tomorrow.)
LOL you know I just realized that just a min ago. I've been in a fog all day today.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 12:40 AM
Meh

Yep. It's 43F with rain in London this hour and 32F with rain in Austin this hour.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 3:53 AM

I might be able to watch the plane land from UT. I'm wondering which runway the plane will land on; 17L or 17R? Heavy winds to the North tomorrow, so it'll land going South.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin