HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
LOL, I'm from the Pasadena area, and I always say the reason why it's my top choice to raise a family is that it's close to LA, but doesn't feel like LA. I currently live on the Westside, but I purposely spend a lot of my free time around Pasadena and the SGV.

Trees and mountains, quiet residential streets, a nice urban core, what's not to love?
Yeah, I was gonna say, I don't feel like Pasadena is far from LA at all. In fact I think it's the right distance.

I live in South Pas, and have been for the last 20 years. It's convenient to downtown LA, the great ethnic restaurants of the SGV, hiking... the only thing that I can conclude that it *is* far from, are the beaches. If South Pas/Pasadena were right on the beach, (read, great weather), then I think it'd be perfect!

Before I moved to South Pas, I used to hang out on the Westside a lot. Since I've moved to South Pas, over the years, I've been going to the Westside less and less. LA's eastside neighborhoods have far more character and are more interesting than the Westside, I find, and of course South Pas/Pasadena have a lot of character too. Pasadena also has arthouse/indie cinemas, so, I have less reason to go to the Westside too (that's why I often would go to the Westside when I was younger, to watch indie and foreign films).

When I do go to the Westside, it's for Persian food, or an event at UCLA, or to go to The Getty...

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
LOL, I'm from the Pasadena area, and I always say the reason why it's my top choice to raise a family is that it's close to LA, but doesn't feel like LA. I currently live on the Westside, but I purposely spend a lot of my free time around Pasadena and the SGV.

Trees and mountains, quiet residential streets, a nice urban core, what's not to love?
No doubt, i grew up in the area and am in Pasadena almost daily for work. Perfect mid size city

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
^^I do love the design, but in that location it should be 5 floors taller.
I'm surprised Nimby-ridden Santa Monica would even approve of a 9 story building, so be happy. Don't be surprised as the construction heads up to floor 7 that they change their minds and cap it off there!

One of these days they may even shave off 10 floors of that existing 1970 tower next door, being that it sticks out like a sore thumb! I'm sure it's an embarrassment to many in Santa Monica, and a number have cried out for its total demolition! I'm sure many have thought: If we had been more organized in 1970, that monstrosity would never have gotten built!

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 3:56 AM
Paramoderator

24 story high rise proposed for half that big parking lot on Fairfax across from The Grove.

318 residential units.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:58 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Oh boy, here come the NIMBYs.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:46 PM

C'mon, man! Gimme a link.

http://urbanize.la/post/renderings-r...ax-development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
24 story high rise proposed for half that big parking lot on Fairfax across from The Grove.

318 residential units.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 5:21 PM

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:21 PM

Such an important project for Hollywood and that rundown stretch of Sunset. We need to connect Hollywood Blvd, Sunset Blvd, Santa Monica Blvd and all the perpendicular streets with projects like this along with solid infill. Lots of progress has been made but some much more to be done. If every block looked like the area between vine and Cahuenga between Hollywood and Sunset, It would be an awesome neighborhood

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 11:23 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

From an aesthetic standpoint, I like the first iteration better, but I'd be happy with either one at this point. Though I'd like for more affordable units. Do we know how many units this will be replacing?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 11:54 PM
West End & Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
From urbanize.la:

Renderings Revealed for New Pasadena Condominiums

Seven-story development to replace parking lot south of Colorado Boulevard.

Tyler Gonzalez Architects has unveiled renderings for another mixed-use building in Pasadena.

The proposed Oak Knoll Condominiums, slated for the current site of a parking lot at 747 E. Green Street, would consist of a seven-story edifice containing 71 one, two-, and three-bedroom dwellings, as well as a full-floor penthouse. Plans also call for 5,300 square feet of ground-floor commercial space, as well as a three-level basement parking garage.

[...]

Link: http://urbanize.la/post/renderings-r...a-condominiums
This is really gorgeous, and I know someone looking to trade in their house in Eagle Rock for something like this! I wonder what they'll be selling for....

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 1:14 AM
Paramoderator

Crossroads Hollywood def got value engineered a bit, but it's not too bad. I like how they kept the old Hollywood Reporter building. It's a good touch.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 3:18 AM
BANNED

Can you really blame places like Santa Monica or Miami Beach for wanting to keep their charm with height limits? Look at how sunny isles beach ended up, awful.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Can you really blame places like Santa Monica or Miami Beach for wanting to keep their charm with height limits? Look at how sunny isles beach ended up, awful.
I agree. Only a few places can pull off a beachside skyline. Gold Coast, Australia is one of those places in my opinion.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 4:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfishy View Post
I agree. Only a few places can pull off a beachside skyline. Gold Coast, Australia is one of those places in my opinion.

True that is nice. But then again, Miami has height limits which creates a boring plateau effect.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 11:50 PM
Paramoderator

Another three story apartment proposed for Santa Monica

Courtesy of Urbanize LA:

https://urbanize.la/post/renderings-...le-development

Contrary to popular opinion, I really like these apartment typologies. I've seen like five or six proposed in the past few months, and think they will go a long way to help urbanize and pedestrianize Santa Monica's low-slung commercial corridors. It doesn't hurt that, perhaps because of Santa Monica's architectural review board, they are all fairly attractive looking. Here's another proposed for Lincoln Boulevard:

replacing:

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:16 PM

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 8:08 PM

All these 8 - 20 story buildings in Hollywood are great. If the whole area was built with similar aesthetics as the Dream Hotel, The Thompson, etc, it would be awesome.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 5:51 AM

I agree. At first I was mad that Hollywood was turning into stump central but seeing how its evolving, 7-21 story buildings is working well for the area. It doesn't need a massive skyline like Century City or Downtown to be relevant and the infill being wall to wall is turning Hollywood into something that LA doesn't necessarily have yet which is a good thing.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 6:40 PM

Yup the scale is great for pedestrians. I like that there are some taller projects in the works but im happy with most of core Hollywood being in that 10 - 20 story range

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 11:15 PM

Looks like they're soil testing for 2900 Wilshire. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations