HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 12:20 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

No Worries NewWester, I'm glad you enjoy the info posted on here. And even if you don't live in Vancouver nor work here your opinion would still be valued by staff. There's no saying that you might not live or work close by someday right? If you have any insight that could make a project better by all means share it. Even if it's just to show support your voice still counts.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 7:32 AM

Any word on any redesign for this site? It's been over two years now....

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerLonsdaleMike View Post
Any word on any redesign for this site? It's been over two years now....
Must be off the drawing board and collecting dust...

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 6:01 PM

So, several years later, here we are again.

Monday 14th May, agenda for the 11am Vancouver Heritage Commission meeting.

"Waterfront Tower - 555 W. Cordova - Pre-Application Workshop

The proposal to construct a mix-use office tower on this location between the CPR Station and The Landing buildings was originally submitted as the Development Application on November 3, 2014. The Vancouver Heritage Commission (VHC) has reviewed and supported the original proposal on December 8, 2014. However, the Development Permit has not been issued as the project design development continued. This proposal is presented to the VHC for information purposes only. When submitted as a revised Development Permit Application, the Commission will have an opportunity to review the final submission.

The development site is located at the northern edge of the Vancouver Downtown District, (subarea B). It is also part of the Central Waterfront Hub Framework which identifies this area as the principal focal point of the regional transportation network, where multiple rail, road, marine and air transportation modes converge. The site is located within the Central Waterfront Hub planning area and the project is generally consistent with its planning framework.

Sitting next to the existing heritage “A” municipally designated CPR Station and just west of the heritage “B” municipally designated The Landing Building; the project is at the entrance to the historic district of Gastown. The site is surrounded by other significant buildings, such as Canada Place, the Convention Centre, Granville Square and the Seabus Terminal.

The proposed site FSR is 6.46, proposed total FSR area is 49,433 m2 and the proposed maximum height is 114.1m (127.1m geodetic height). The proponent will present the project, associated Heritage Impact Assessment study, and elaborate on urban design complexities of the site, in particular as they relate to the Central Waterfront Hub Framework. In addition, the proponent will explain how the proposed development responds to the existing historic context, and the proximity of two significant heritage buildings. Planning staff will be in attendance to provide further clarification, as required."

The architects have remained the same: Adrian Smith + Gordon Hill Architecture with B+H Architects as the local firm.

The same meeting will be reviewing the Post Office project as well.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 7:33 PM

I was wondering if anyone else would notice this, it's also on GHAPC agenda for May 16th. I was hoping to grab some photos at the Monday meeting and surprise everyone with the good news next week

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 8:39 PM

Thanks for the post!
- and looking forward to those photos.
I wonder if the model will appear at City Hall this week before the Monday meeting?

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 9:04 PM

I liked the original.

Hopefully the redesign is something unique and equally inspired.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 11:05 PM

The original design kind of reminds me of EY Tower in Toronto. I'm hoping that the inevitable redesign ends up looking just as fantastic.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:22 AM

Hey, yeah! Except the Toronto building is on the right scale. It has "meat" to it ....

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nto_-_2017.jpg

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 1:37 AM

Quote:
A new design is expected to be revealed next week, but here’s what we know so far:

-height has been reduced from 127 metres to 114 metres
-floor area has been increased from 408,000 sq ft. to 532,000 sq ft.

A key aspect of the new proposal will be how the development responds to the existing historic context, and the proximity of two significant heritage buildings.
https://urbanyvr.com/555-west-cordov...oposal-revived

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 1:41 AM

Reduced yet with more area, might be a little on the stubby side.

Getting tired of these pointless height reductions, especially in key areas adjacent to our main transit hubs.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Reduced yet with more area, might be a little on the stubby side.

Getting tired of these pointless height reductions, especially in key areas adjacent to our main transit hubs.
Yeah the height reductions are pointless. Let the developer figure out what the best number of floors are to build. And why is 114 meters ok but not 115.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 2:44 AM

Why did they reduce the height? It would seem impossible that it was intruding on a viewcone as it is at the farthest reaches of downtown (from a viewcone perpective), and there's gotta be a hundred buildings taller than 127m sitting in front of it. And I thought the design of the building was suppose save as much view as possible from Cordova St. With the lower height and higher sq footage, the building will be wider and block more of the view to the North Shore.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 4:54 AM

It may be the same height.

Here's the OLD South Elevation
which shows 127.10m GEODETIC
- Grade is shown as +13.00m.
- total building height was 114.10m

http://former.vancouver.ca/devapps/5...nts/sweles.pdf

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 11:48 PM

Weren’t we going to see the new design yesterday for this?

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:31 AM

That's what I thought, too.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:17 AM

I wouldn't bother holding onto your hats, it's really not *that* much different. Give me some time, and I'll post more about it later in the week.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:37 AM

... so that's a good thing, right?

Thanks!

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
No Longer an Alien Invader – A Respectful 555 Cordova Wins over Vancouver’s Heritage Commission
Sometimes development in Vancouver takes a ridiculous amount of time; this is true even in the shoulders of the Central Business District. Back in 2009, City Council Passed a Waterfont Hub Policy that called for an expansion of office towers and transit options surrounding Waterfront Station, along with a new Vancouver Whitecap’s stadium located along the harbour. That plan failed to come to fruition for a multitude of reasons, and in 2015 Cadillac Fairview, a subsidiary of the Ontario Teacher’s Pension Plan, submitted an application to turn this parking lot into a public plaza with a 26 story office building.

Unfortunately, those involved with the failed Hub Plan, as well as former city officials, were strongly against the proposal, labeling it a blob and an alien invader. As a result, this land has sat empty for the last three years. Now that Cadillac Fairview has reactivated the proposal and made changes to the design, city staff have held an information session with heritage commission to review the proposal and ensure a better outcome for our city.
Read more at:
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2018/0...ge-commission/

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
"Because of these challenges, the building is struggling with it’s economic viability."

I can imagine so, and I surmise that CF just can't put the land in their pro forma at zero, as they'd likely be following IFRS. They must be praying for some, ummmm, market-leading face rates.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver