HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 7:14 PM

Visited New York City! Many photos. Trip report

Hadn't been in New York since 2014. So many new buildings have been built since then. Skyline is way different. I brought my sony a6400 with Tamron 17-70 lens. Took these pics 2-25-24

Empire State building is so iconic and still looks huge. The fact that it has 100 floors because of low ceilings makes it look taller than it is

Crazy sensation being in the canyons of buildings

First time seeing One Vanderbilt up close. Was walking there to go up to the top. Was absolutely freezing while walking around. Hands numb from taking photos and carrying my energy drink. Was only 35 degrees and all the buildings made me be in the shade. I'm used to living in Florida. The cold really ruined the whole experience. Hard to enjoy walking around and looking at the views. Was looking forward to getting into the heated building of One Vanderbilt.

Pigeons were everywhere

Could see the new 270 Park JP Morgan Chase building! So awesome! Huge!

Not so tall anymore but wow the Chrysler building is so awesome looking! One of my favorites!

We were told that we would have to wait 6 hrs to go to the top of One Vanderbilt. So annoying. So we didn't do it. At this point I almost just wanted to head back to the Brooklyn house we were staying at. Seriously hard to enjoy walking around down there with the cold.

One of my favorite pics from the trip

Crazy how much different Times Square looks now that Central Park Tower is there. Very cool. Enhances the view so much. Central Park Tower is huge!

This building is SO awesome! Cooler to see it in person than I expected it to look. Do wish it was slightly taller just so it'd stick out. It's one of my favorite buildings in the city for sure.

Central Park Tower is huge!!

Walked all the way to Central Park. So cold lol View from the park is really awesome though. So different than when I visited in 2014

This is where I took my drone off from! Turns out i broke many laws and rules with this but I didn't get caught so it was so worth it! Here's the video. I think yall will love this! New York is absolutely beautiful from up in the air. Wish I couldve made it to the top of One Vanderbilt but at least I got this awesome footage! Just dense city for miles and miles, so unique to see. So many super talls!
Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfDrzA7XNWs

Then we took the subway back to the 3.3 million dollar house we were staying at in central Brooklyn.

Only 1.5 blocks away from this super expensive house I took these photos. Brooklyn is disgusting. Concrete, no green, no nature. Just old concrete and metal. It's dirty, and cold. So depressing. No open spaces, so crammed it's claustrophobic. Blows my mind people live their lives in this. I feel sad for them lol

Stayed at the house in Brooklyn for 5 days. Constant horns honking outside. People literally honk all the time for no reason in New York it's insane. Sirens were blasting by all day every few minutes. Was hard to sleep. The traffic was horrendous. The 3.3 million dollar house was built in 1905 and kept none of the loud street noise out of the house. All the floors creaked so loud every step. Traveling by subways seems gross and depressing.

I'm so glad I live in St. Petersburg Florida. Coming home felt like the real vacation. To warm sunshine with palm trees and wide open, non crowded spaces.

Last edited by Dylan Dude; Mar 4, 2024 at 6:01 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 1:37 AM

Thanks for the chilly shots!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 2:45 AM

Nice pics/video, and yeah, drones are illegal in NYC. If they were legal, the sky in Manhattan would be chaos.

35 isn't exactly Arctic conditions, but yeah, those days were some of the coldest this year. Even for a Floridian, I cannot imagine 35 is freezing if you're properly dressed. And it's been 50's-60's most days. We don't even have winter anymore. My parents are in Naples, FL right now, and they get those temps at night.

I take it you aren't a city person? Just a wild guess, based on your comments.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Nice pics/video, and yeah, drones are illegal in NYC. If they were legal, the sky in Manhattan would be chaos.

35 isn't exactly Arctic conditions, but yeah, those days were some of the coldest this year. Even for a Floridian, I cannot imagine 35 is freezing if you're properly dressed. And it's been 50's-60's most days. We don't even have winter anymore. My parents are in Naples, FL right now, and they get those temps at night.

I take it you aren't a city person? Just a wild guess, based on your comments.
Yeah I like cities but not ones as big as NYC. Even Miami would be way too big to live in for me. Would still prefer it over NYC because it's more spread out and normal. Being in the Tampa metro area is perfect for me. It's a normal life style.

I guess I wasn't dressed properly. Believe me, Florida never has days that cold lol Lowest high we got all winter was like 55 lol so much better than 35.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 2:20 PM

It was actually 70 in NYC yesterday. Glorious weather, with everyone outside.

Not exactly Florida, but you were here in the first cold spell in weeks.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 3:57 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Dude View Post
Only 1.5 blocks away from this super expensive house I took these photos. Brooklyn is disgusting. Concrete, no green, no nature. Just old concrete and metal. It's dirty, and cold. So depressing. No open spaces, so crammed it's claustrophobic. Blows my mind people live their lives in this. I feel sad for them lol
Brooklyn is a huge place and the vast majority of it doesn't look as crummy as that photo. Many corners are truly beautiful. You seem to have sought out the worst of it. I feel sad you didn't experience the good parts.

Quote:
Stayed at the house in Brooklyn for 5 days. Constant horns honking outside. People literally honk all the time for no reason in New York it's insane. Sirens were blasting by all day every few minutes. Was hard to sleep. The traffic was horrendous. The 3.3 million dollar house was built in 1905 and kept none of the loud street noise out of the house. All the floors creaked so loud every step. Traveling by subways seems gross and depressing.

I'm so glad I live in St. Petersburg Florida. Coming home felt like the real vacation. To warm sunshine with palm trees and wide open, non crowded spaces.
Interesting take. NYC isn't for everybody. Living in a real city or an old building isn't for everybody for that matter. Enjoy Florida

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 4:44 PM

this is the most "florida man" take on a real city that i've ever seen, i kind of love it. "LOUD NOISES! BUILDINGS CLOSE TOGETHER! I SHOULD NEVER LEAVE FLORIDA AGAIN!" just unfortunate that you didn't get to see the truly amazing, beautiful, lively parts of brooklyn.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Brooklyn is a huge place and the vast majority of it doesn't look as crummy as that photo. Many corners are truly beautiful. You seem to have sought out the worst of it. I feel sad you didn't experience the good parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperpaz View Post
this is the most "florida man" take on a real city that i've ever seen, i kind of love it. "LOUD NOISES! BUILDINGS CLOSE TOGETHER! I SHOULD NEVER LEAVE FLORIDA AGAIN!" just unfortunate that you didn't get to see the truly amazing, beautiful, lively parts of brooklyn.
Wait what parts of Brooklyn are good? Yall talking about the downtown part where there's that brand new super tall?

I was the very middle of Brooklyn. The fact I was in a 3.3 million dollar house made me think I was in a "good" part of Brooklyn. But yall are saying no? If that's what yall are saying, how much money do you need for a "good" house in Brooklyn? 10 million? Lol please tell me where the good spots are lol

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 11:46 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

nice pics!

so young op’s takeaway based in a visit is all of ‘nyc’ is apprantly either midtown or a grimy block in brooklyn — oh and therefore he sez all of brooklyn is disgusting.

okey doke.

for some reason i’m suddenly reminded of this funny exchange i witnessed in front of me in a chinatown coffeeshop where an angry lady yelled at the owner:

angry lady: “you got a wide mouth!”

owner lady: “ok, you go away now and you no come back next time.”

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 3:13 PM

Tell us you're from FL without telling us you're from FL.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Dude View Post
I can't understand it when English-speakers on here say a city or spot is claustrophobic.
A district or neighborhood may be very densely built, you are claustrophobic.
Of course claustrophobia is the fear of confined places that affects some people, not places themselves.
So you should write that the spot made you feel claustrophobic, which is your own issue, not that of the place.

The house you stayed in seemed overpriced to you precisely because a lot of people want or need to live there anyhow.
And frankly, $3.3 million is not so outrageous for a so-called house in town.
No doubt it would be at least 20 times worse in Manhattan.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
I can't understand it when English-speakers on here say a city or spot is claustrophobic.
The #2 definition for "claustrophobic" on the Merriam-Webster website is:

: inducing or suggesting claustrophobia

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...claustrophobic

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 3:57 PM

^ Ah, thanks. I didn't know, so you just made my English a bit better.
That adjective is suitable to people only in French.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 4:01 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
The #2 definition for "claustrophobic" on the Merriam-Webster website is:

: inducing or suggesting claustrophobia

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...claustrophobic
i statements

never a bad idea

in any language

especially when it seems op’s experience is limited to miami and tampa.

you know, normal places.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
especially when it seems op’s experience is limited to miami and tampa.

you know, normal places.
C'mon! Lol you know NYC is super unique and not normal at all lol I also have lived in Milwaukee, WI and Denver, CO, which both are nothing like new york, so they're "normal" lol

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 1:31 AM
Great White Norf

Thanks for the recent shots of Manhattan.

I really appreciated the drone video. Glad you didn't get ticketed or arrested. Those supertall Plutocrat condos look so tall and skinny like they might fall over lol

So weird to see NY turn into Coruscant

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Thanks for the recent shots of Manhattan.

I really appreciated the drone video. Glad you didn't get ticketed or arrested. Those supertall Plutocrat condos look so tall and skinny like they might fall over lol

So weird to see NY turn into Coruscant
Yeah omg thank you! Yeah I was so glad to get the drone footage and also so glad to not get in huge trouble lol Yeah it's pretty cool to see a city that took it to the extreme as far as size and skyscrapers lol so unique and crazy. I'll have to go back in 10 yrs and do it again

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos