HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 11:18 PM
testify

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
(Edited by me after having been momentarily nagged by the spirit of better judgment)

I'd like to see them use cycling color schemes as they do on the "twin spires".

For some reason, though, the idea of using lighting displays to make a building of this shape and height look like part or all of a living thing doesn't strike me as an altogether wise idea. But should that be the plan, I would think that a hearty emphasis towards the abstract will be applied, especially in keeping with TV's MOMA affiliations.

I'll just leave it at that and commend the preceding to the individual musings of those who wish to add to this discussion.

On my behalf, I do not claim to make any attempt at the sophomoric double-entendre; and I am confident that by now I can safely prevail upon the collective intellect of the SSP board membership & moderation team to understand that.
new favorite forumer

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 11:56 PM

From IrishInNYC on WNY who works in the construction industry:

All I know is that financing is in place. Construction Management is about to be awarded and they want the foundation in this year. It is a complicated building to build with a safety cocoon included so there is some 'design and build' work going on in that regard prior to awarding superstructure contracts.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 12:04 AM
New Yorker for life

^ That would be good. All signs point to activity sooner rather than later.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
new favorite forumer
Thank'ee......

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 3:56 PM
don't *meddle*...

New permit filed: http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
Last Action: PLAN EXAM - APPROVED 04/04/2013 (P)
Application approved on: 04/04/2013
Quote:
Building Height (ft.): Existing: 1250
Proposed: 1250

Building Stories: Existing: 83
Proposed: 83
Dwelling Units: Existing: 113
Proposed: 113

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 5:28 PM

Hmmmm....
Good things happen, don't they ?

Besides, with all the other extremely tall buildings planned/approved and/or under construction in midtown, the 200-ft reduction of this one was ridiculous.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 6:00 PM

Which is it then?

Amanda Burden's chop job or the permit???

I'm exercising optimism on the latter with caution that borderlines on the heebie-jeebies.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
What does that mean, exactly? They're just re-filing and hoping for the best, now that so many other tall buildings have been approved nearby?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 9:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Can't make sense of it. That particular permit is for another job on site:

Quote:
INSTALLATION OF A PREFABRICATED TEMPORARY TRUSS ART EXHIBIT STRUCTURE KNOWN AS THE RAIN ROOM TO BE INSTALLED APRIL 10TH 2012 AND REMOVED APPROXIMATELY AUGUST 10TH 2013 AS PER PLANS FILED HERWITH. ALL PRODUCTION EQUIPMENT SHALL BE REMOVED UPON EVENT COMPLETION

Don't know why the other details got in there though.

The current permit for the Tower Verre is still active...
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 3:52 PM
New Yorker for life

( April 7, 2013 )

Site of our future beauty...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 10:03 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Often seen in renderings, its confirmed that this little baby will be coming down...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/11/ar...anted=all&_r=0

12-Year-Old Building at MoMA Is Doomed

MoMA expects to have the building demolished by the end of this year.

By ROBIN POGREBIN
April 10, 2013

Quote:
When a new home for the American Folk Art Museum opened on West 53d Street in Manhattan in 2001 it was hailed as a harbinger of hope for the city after the Sept. 11 attacks and praised for its bold architecture.

“Its heart is in the right time as well as the right place,” Herbert Muschamp wrote in his architecture review in The New York Times, calling the museum’s sculptural bronze facade “already a Midtown icon.”

Now, a mere 12 years later, the building is going to be demolished.

In its place the adjacent Museum of Modern Art, which bought the building in 2011, will put up an expansion, which will connect to a new tower with floors for the Modern on the other side of the former museum. And the folk museum building, designed by Tod Williams and Billie Tsien, will take a dubious place in history as having had one of the shortest lives of an architecturally ambitious project in Manhattan.

MoMA officials said the building’s design did not fit their plans because the opaque facade is not in keeping with the glass aesthetic of the rest of the museum. The former folk museum is also set back farther than MoMA’s other properties, and the floors would not line up.

Mr. Lowry said the expansion would complete the MoMA campus, which will ultimately consist of five buildings, four of them on West 53rd Street between Fifth Avenue and the Avenue of the Americas. Still to be built is an 82-story tower just west of the folk museum that is being developed by Hines, a Houston company, and was designed by the French architect Jean Nouvel. It will include apartments as well as exhibition space for the museum.

When the projects are finished the museum will gain about 10,000 square feet of gallery space at the former folk art site and about 40,000 in the Nouvel building, officials said. The Modern’s second, fourth and fifth floors will line up with those in both buildings. (The second-floor galleries are double height.)

“We’ll have a completely integrated west end to the museum,” Mr. Lowry said. “Floor plates will extend seamlessly.”

Construction of the Nouvel project is expected to start in 2014, with both new buildings being completed simultaneously in 2017 or 2018, Mr. Lowry said.

Original rendering...

More recent...

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 1:19 PM

That poor little Folk Art Museum never worked well as a museum---and financially, it was ill conceived. Classic Manhattan that its life was so short-----put em up, take em down and keep on building. It had to die for a greater beauty.....

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 2:05 PM

I wonder if Hines and Nouvel will buy this tiny plot of land from the Folk Art Museum and widen the base. With the larger base maybe more air rights can be bought, as well going back to its original height. Wouldn't that be great!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 2:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
I wonder if Hines and Nouvel will buy this tiny plot of land from the Folk Art Museum and widen the base. With the larger base maybe more air rights can be bought, as well going back to its original height. Wouldn't that be great!

It's all a part of the same development, and will bridge space in the museum...

Quote:
When the projects are finished the museum will gain about 10,000 square feet of gallery space at the former folk art site and about 40,000 in the Nouvel building, officials said. The Modern’s second, fourth and fifth floors will line up with those in both buildings. (The second-floor galleries are double height.)

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 3:01 PM

I love Torre Verre. However shame on MoMA for tearing down the Folk Art Museum. It is a beautifully designed building that could have been integrated into this project.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 4:23 PM
don't *meddle*...

It still hurts how this beautiful tower got a height cut.

* West we have a 1400 feet tall box going up.
* East we have a 1600 feet tall behemoth in prep mode.
* Southeast we have a 1340 feet tall tower ready to begin construction by 2014.

I can't let go of this feeling that we got ripped off. Hopefully Fräulein Burden has trouble sleeping lately ...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 6:22 PM
Walk taker

Has anyone else noticed that this tower gives off a serious Lebbeus Woods vibe? All those vein-like columns!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 12:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
I love Torre Verre. However shame on MoMA for tearing down the Folk Art Museum. It is a beautifully designed building that could have been integrated into this project.
The point is that it couldn't be. MOMA wants to make a seamless transition from the current space to the new space, and apparently there wasn't a way to make it work. But it's not as if they're going to take down some great piece of work from a hundred years ago. If they had found a way to use it and make it work, it wouldn't bother me. But honestly, its not all that much to look at if you think about it, and its a building that's barely been around and didn't even work in the purpose for which it was built. No tragic lost.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 1:14 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
It still hurts how this beautiful tower got a height cut.

* West we have a 1400 feet tall box going up.
* East we have a 1600 feet tall behemoth in prep mode.
* Southeast we have a 1340 feet tall tower ready to begin construction by 2014.

I can't let go of this feeling that we got ripped off. Hopefully Fräulein Burden has trouble sleeping lately ...
I mean, the new permit does say 1250 and 83 floors...

Maybe just maybe... ?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The point is that it couldn't be. MOMA wants to make a seamless transition from the current space to the new space, and apparently there wasn't a way to make it work. But it's not as if they're going to take down some great piece of work from a hundred years ago. If they had found a way to use it and make it work, it wouldn't bother me. But honestly, its not all that much to look at if you think about it, and its a building that's barely been around and didn't even work in the purpose for which it was built. No tragic lost.

In your opinion. I work in the architecture field and a lot of people are very mad about this. Not only is it a an architectural loss (IMO), but its also a waste of resources when realize the building is only 12-years old.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive