HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post

Oh my God! My views! My views! They are blocked! Yes, as somebody who lives on Robson / Richards with a view of that, if there are any lights attached to it I will be up all night long.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 4:16 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

*yawn*

i think if anyone is SOOOOO concerned about having to look at this thing, why not petition Grouse to have it painted, i dunno, maybe GREEN to match the trees in the area.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 5:33 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

I honestly really like the looks of windmills. They've got a couple on top of a mountain in Whitehorse (I work up that way in the summer) and I think they're a pretty cool looking landmark. I'll be able to see this from my house in point grey, and frankly I think it will add to the view, unlike some certain developments full of NIMBYs gradually making their way up to the 1500' elevation line on Black Mountain.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
*yawn*

i think if anyone is SOOOOO concerned about having to look at this thing, why not petition Grouse to have it painted, i dunno, maybe GREEN to match the trees in the area.
A smarter plan would be to paint it grey. It would blend in to the sky 300 days a year.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 7:46 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
I honestly really like the looks of windmills. They've got a couple on top of a mountain in Whitehorse (I work up that way in the summer) and I think they're a pretty cool looking landmark. I'll be able to see this from my house in point grey, and frankly I think it will add to the view, unlike some certain developments full of NIMBYs gradually making their way up to the 1500' elevation line on Black Mountain.
i'm with you on this one. being from Alberta, i love going and seeing the wind turbines near Cowley (Pincher Creek) and have several amazing pictures of them.

and welcome to the forum!!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff's two cents View Post
There are two very legitimate reasons I can think of why people might be anti-nuclear:

1) There's the issue of nuclear waste - Nobody knows what to do with it even now. It has to be sealed in steel containers and is for the most part stored deep underground. What will the long-term consequences of this mode of action be? Nobody knows. . . Unless you, eduardo88, do. In which case please enlighten us, the world. We're waiting. . .
There is no issue with nuclear waste so long as its sealed and buried safely, it might be there for a long time but there are no REAL issues with it. Afterall countries like France have something like 70%+ of their power coming from nuclear.
2) There's the issue of what happens when something goes wrong. Chernobyl is the only large-scale nuclear power disaster I'm aware of, but it's perfectly plausible that an increased appetite for nuclear power, coupled with the fact that there would be human beings in charge of it, could mean another incident of similar magnitude.
Now a days the chances of anything happening are close to zero so long as proper maintenance is done and modern safety checks are in place.
I think wind, and especially solar, power, are largely untapped sources of - for the most part - green electricity.
Yes but they can only cover around 20-50% of our power needs and still require other means of generating power.
However, I think the long-term 'solution', if there is one, will ultimately be for people to significantly reduce the amount of energy they use - which means limiting the frequency of high-energy activities such as long-distance commuting, the heating or cooling large homes, the consumption of products that require hefty amounts of energy in their manufacture, etc.
This is very short sighted, it might be true within our lifetimes but it wont be the case in the long term and it shouldent be the case.

I agree with Metro-One - Barren ski slopes are so good for animals, aren't they?
Barren ski slopes are actually very very good for animals, infact small clear cuts in the forests are good for animals thanks to grass, plants and berry patches that cover them in the summer months and provide food.
Were people really thinking of the birds and bats when they clear-cut a strip down Grouse Mountain?
No
If sticking a windmill in the middle of an area nowhere close to anybody's house, and with - locally speaking - limited ecological value, helps keep the city from getting electricity from burning garbage, I'm all for it.
Agree

Given that nobody actually lives near the windmill, and that opposition to the project stems largely from them having to look at it from a distance, opponents of this wind project are, it seems to me, guilty of NIMBYism in the worst possible way.
Totally agree.

I also agree that the people who choose to live in single family dwellings higher up on the mountainside are infinitely more guilty of ruining views than proponents of wind energy. If anything, it's the continuing ecological threat posed by that type of lifestyle that warrants the search for less invasive modes of electricity production.
Agree even more

The article above also cites examples from southwestern Ontario, where the windmills are quite densely situated - I drove through Goderich and area recently. A lone windmill on the top of a mountain nowhere close to anybody's house will not have the same adverse effects on human health.
Yup, I agree.
had a few drinks and felt like disecting a post...now i have nothing else to add

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 8:49 AM

I can do that too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
had a few drinks and felt like disecting a post...now i have nothing else to add
Didn't your mother ever teach you not to drink and disect?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 5:16 PM
Registered Luser

I kind of like this project and think it's cool that we could see a wind turbine on top of Grouse from Metro Vancouver. The environmentalist in me thinks that the wind turbine is just the chocolate coating on what would otherwise be a turd of an observation tower. And do we really need an observation tower on top of a mountain? Isn't the mountain enough?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 11:26 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by clooless View Post
I kind of like this project and think it's cool that we could see a wind turbine on top of Grouse from Metro Vancouver. The environmentalist in me thinks that the wind turbine is just the chocolate coating on what would otherwise be a turd of an observation tower. And do we really need an observation tower on top of a mountain? Isn't the mountain enough?
Because then you can see in 360 degrees... all directions.

As long as they don't charge for admission (included in the tram cost) then I'm okay with it.

As for the view... all the skyscrapers get in the way of my view... they should level them. They're far more damaging to most people's views (unless you're posting in this board and love the sight of concrete and steel structures).

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 1:23 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by clooless View Post
...And do we really need an observation tower on top of a mountain? Isn't the mountain enough?
yes, yes we do. i'm only imagining the view now

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 9:24 PM
Dérive-r

New article:

Quote:
Wind turbine making a noise in Vancouver

Source: GLOBE-Net
Published Oct. 21, 2008

A 65-meter high wind turbine will be built on the grounds of Grouse Mountain, a ski resort in the District of North Vancouver in British Columbia. The split-vote approval by the North Vancouver District’s council on October 6th came after a heated debate between those who approve green initiatives and those who fear the turbines’ swirling long blades will harm the environment.

Grouse Mountain is one of Vancouver’s most popular destinations. Its ski slopes can be seen from almost anywhere in the city’s downtown core. Tourists flock to the resort’s aerial tramway that whisks them to the snow-covered mountains in less than 10 minutes during winter months. Visitors can paraglide or watch a lumberjack show while hikers walk on backcountry trails in the summer.

Yet success comes at a price. With so many tourists vying for access to nature, Grouse Mountain requires increasing amounts of electricity to operate chairlifts, power kitchens, illuminate its chalet and flood the slopes with light during night-time skiing. The resort’s carbon footprint can only be reduced with an alternative approach: Its planned wind turbine, with a capacity of 1.5 megawatts, is expected to generate one fifth of the resort’s electricity needs once operating at full capacity in 2010, just in time for the Winter Olympic Games.

The 21-storey structure - 34 stories if you measure to the top of the blade -- will stand at the top of Peak Mountain, right next to two chairlifts. It will be located in a windy corridor and its white blades will blend with the sky, according to the company proposal. A viewing platform for 24 people will hover 58 meters above ground. Naturally, standing alone on a mountain peak, the wind turbine will be visible for miles around.

'Why are we doing this? Not only is it for sustainable energy purposes, I think it’s also for another tourist attraction,' says District of North Vancouver Councilor Janice Harris who strongly opposed the project during the heated debate approval process.

She adds that the turbine presents a 'clear and present danger to bats' that internally hemorrhage near the structures due to the sudden drop in wind pressure. 'My concern is the environmental impact can’t be quantified or known at this stage,' she adds in the North Shore News, a local weekly newspaper.

Grouse Mountain Resorts, which operates the tourist facility, argues that it has secured an environmental study of the local wildlife. The potential impact on the habitat loss and disturbance of bats is 'negligible,' according to its author. Birds, on the other hand, might be killed by the blades on low-cloud or foggy days, a common occurrence in southwestern British Columbia.

Residents who live at the bottom of the mountain also worry about the noise the blade will make as it spins for days on end. Yet, according to Grouse Mountain Resorts, the whooshing sound will be inaudible beyond its property boundaries. Besides, it argues, the sounds at the base of the turbine will not be louder than a car driving through a residential neighborhood.

The controversial turbine is part of a renewed interest in wind-generated power in Canada. Today this renewable energy process powers the equivalent of 563,000 homes in the country, according to the Canadian Wind Energy Association. If Canada used its untapped wind resources it might be able to provide 20 percent of its electrical needs, enough to power 17 million homes.

Yet issues remain. When wind turbines are built in remote areas they often get often a free pass on their environmental risks, but when they pop up near human settlements, residents raise concerns. On the one hand people want technology that reduces the country’s reliance on fossil fuels. On the other they cling to a 'Not in My Backyard' mentality that wants to protect the landscape and in the case of wind turbines the lives of migrating birds. This duality amplifies the fact that saving the environment is rarely a zero-sum game.

This is why the wind turbine on top of Grouse Mountain comes as a double-edged sword. The resort will gain publicity for its environmentally-friendly posture but this stand will remind everyone that a price needs to be paid to save the planet. Unfortunately for the resort, it might find itself in the middle of a green controversy for years to come.
http://www.environmental-expert.com/...type=8&level=0

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Residents who live at the bottom of the mountain also worry about the noise the blade will make as it spins for days on end. Yet, according to Grouse Mountain Resorts, the whooshing sound will be inaudible beyond its property boundaries. Besides, it argues, the sounds at the base of the turbine will not be louder than a car driving through a residential neighborhood.
LMAO! These people are ridiculous.

For the turbine to be audible from where they live, the turbine would have to be a space rocket launching.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 12:44 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
LMAO! These people are ridiculous.

For the turbine to be audible from where they live, the turbine would have to be a space rocket launching.
That would be heard all the way to border and beyond I'm sure.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 1:12 AM

I am sorry, but this should not be a issue, again North Van blows things way out of proportion. I can see Burnaby mountain from my balcony and *gasp* i see towers on top of it!!!!!!!! Oh no, what should i do, i hope i can't hear the elevators in those towers where i live!!!!!! And look, beyond Burnaby Mountain i see radar/cell towers and hydro lines on the next set of hills *gasp* oh no my view!!!!! It is so funny how these people in North Van are up in arms about a wind turbine on top of a mountain but they don't seems to notice all the housing developments sprawled along the mountain slopes which i find a 10 times larger eyesore than any wind turbine or tower. Get over it people, build the dam thing, no wait, build 20 of them to make it a true wind farm.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 4:40 AM

I lived on the North Shore for 18 years, and you can't even see the top of Grouse Mountain unless you are literally not on the North Shore or at just the right angle. And also, why aren't these people complaining about the arial tram, the busses of people going to the mountain, the hum of the city, or for that matter, the hum of their own central heating?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 6:22 AM
Mac User

Quote:

There is no way that the windmill will be that big. You have drawn it about 350 meters tall.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-007 View Post
I lived on the North Shore for 18 years, and you can't even see the top of Grouse Mountain unless you are literally not on the North Shore or at just the right angle. And also, why aren't these people complaining about the arial tram, the busses of people going to the mountain, the hum of the city, or for that matter, the hum of their own central heating?
they don't want cancer

but try tell them that when they are glued to their cancer causing cell phones

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 8:41 PM

It looks as though the tower for this has gone up in the past few days. At least that's what it looks like - big white tower on top of Grouse - looks good.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 9:38 PM

yes i noticed it yesterday - quite hard not to notice now haha its all i see everytime i look that way

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 10:23 PM

Check out all the pics on their official Flickr page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/grousemountain/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion