HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 8:27 PM

Teenagers of all races are idiots, and a good percentage of people never realize they aren't a teenager.

And move to Surrey.

Anyways, speaking of Gay... Hereeeeee's Gregor!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/susangittins/4854029745

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post
I dunno I've seen many gays who are muslim around vancouver.
Could the reason possibly be that, here in Canada, they are free to express their preference, whereas in their homeland, be it Iran or wherever else, they are condemned if they do?
Canada is renowned as a "tolerant" country.

The percentage of homosexual people, male and female, is virtually the same throughout the entire human race. It's the religions and cultural values of the different nations that either prohibit or accept it.

(... if you want an example of a homophilic culture, do research on ancient Sparta! It might blow you away)

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 8:31 PM

That's unfortunate to hear. I certainly agree that certain ethnic groups may be less comfortable or tolerant of homosexuality, but surely that's something that white high school kids would do too. Whether high school idiocy translates into real violence is difficult to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post
I don't want to be racist, but in a high school I went to, they're were lots of east indians, a large group of them in my business class, who just talk during the whole class. One of them says " Every second week I like to go to Davie st. and scream faggots to all the gays on the street" And his group who were east indians all started laughing and saying "alright, i'll join you"

I dunno I've seen many gays who are muslim around vancouver.

Anyways being a teenager, I see that there is tons of homophobia in school.
I'm strait but I do tolerate does who are gay, I mean some gay people are super nice!

Btw where is Mr.X?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 8:24 AM
Vancouver Moderator

To be quite honest, I know religion, etc, has a big impact on whether people are ok with gay/lesbian relationships or not, but I don't think it has a lot to do with hate crimes in Canada.
The people that beat up gays aren't the type that go to churches or practice any religion. Most of the people that had a problem with my gay friends when I was in Alberta were rednecks that just didn't care about religion. Even when it comes to immigrants, etc, I don't think those angry South Asian guys are volunteering at Sikh temples or Mosques or whatnot. They probably are like that because they just do whatever they want, and that's how they role.

I'm not try to deflect blame from religion, etc, but I'm saying the kind of people that resent religion, authority, police, etc, also might find it easy to resent gays or anyone that's different from them too. Religious people might oppose gay marriage bills or even picket a gay bar or whatever, but I'm trying to say it's not exactly that demographic that gets drunk and beats up gay people for fun. In fact, those kind of people are probably never at Davie street at 3am.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion