HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
https://m.imgur.com/a/rQiYeou
Cheap brick I was talking about.
Not good. I will have to walk over there and take a look at it myself.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
https://m.imgur.com/a/rQiYeou
Cheap brick I was talking about.
Although it's not full brick, it does look like its going on one piece at a time. Not sheets of venere? Must have taken a lot of time to drive all those supports.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
I thought the schools in DE were really good? Maybe not Main Line good, but better than most of Delco/southern Chester County. I've never really looked into DE schools much but that was my perception.
Opposite. Some of the best public school districts in PA are just over the border in Delco and Southern Chester County.

Garnet Valley
Unionville-Chadds Ford
West Chester Area
Great Valley

Even the "middling" school districts (i.e. Kennett, Avon Grove, etc) are better than the schools in New Castle County.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 6:18 AM

Concord Plaza - North Wilmington; B/P Group

Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flickr

Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flickr

Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flick

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 1:46 PM

The Top 10 Largest U.S. Cities by Population
New York City, NY. Population: 8,550,405. ...
Los Angeles, CA. Population: 3,971,883. ...
Chicago, IL. Population: 2,720,546. ...
Houston, TX. Population: 2,296,224. ...
Philadelphia, PA. Population: 1,567,442. ...
Phoenix, AZ. Population: 1,563,025. ...
San Antonio, TX. Population: 1,469,845. ...
San Diego, CA. Population: 1,394,928.

..... Wait a minute , I thought Philly had been over taken by Phoenix .
This is suppose to be a current , up-to-date , 2018 list ..... Ahh , who
gives a shit . It's Philly and we love it .

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Opposite. Some of the best public school districts in PA are just over the border in Delco and Southern Chester County.

Garnet Valley
Unionville-Chadds Ford
West Chester Area
Great Valley

Even the "middling" school districts (i.e. Kennett, Avon Grove, etc) are better than the schools in New Castle County.

Exactly - check out school grades which https://www.schoolgrades.org/ compares schools across national levels as opposed to at a state level. PA schools are largely A's with North Wilmington public schools B-C range. I think this is a huge factor in the growth potential of Northern DE.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:38 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post
The Top 10 Largest U.S. Cities by Population
New York City, NY. Population: 8,550,405. ...
Los Angeles, CA. Population: 3,971,883. ...
Chicago, IL. Population: 2,720,546. ...
Houston, TX. Population: 2,296,224. ...
Philadelphia, PA. Population: 1,567,442. ...
Phoenix, AZ. Population: 1,563,025. ...
San Antonio, TX. Population: 1,469,845. ...
San Diego, CA. Population: 1,394,928.

..... Wait a minute , I thought Philly had been over taken by Phoenix .
This is suppose to be a current , up-to-date , 2018 list ..... Ahh , who
gives a shit . It's Philly and we love it .
Was at the One Liberty Observation Deck for the first time yesterday. According to the tour guide, Philly has a population of 1.6 million. I guess he's rounding 1.56-something up to 1.6 million. It's all good.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:51 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Was at the One Liberty Observation Deck for the first time yesterday. According to the tour guide, Philly has a population of 1.6 million. I guess he's rounding 1.56-something up to 1.6 million. It's all good.
Looks like he's rounding 1.58 million up.

Philadelphia city, Pennsylvania
Population estimates, July 1, 2017, (V2017) 1,580,863
People Population
Population estimates, July 1, 2017, (V2017) 1,580,863
Population estimates base, April 1, 2010, (V2017) 1,526,006
Population, percent change - April 1, 2010 (estimates base) to July 1, 2017, (V2017) 3.6%
Population, Census, April 1, 2010

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...ania/PST045217

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:19 PM

Pics of One Ardmore Place construction taken 7/14/2018:

The bricks do appear to be individual pieces. Mortar is then added between them:

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:40 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyEngineer View Post
Pics of One Ardmore Place construction taken 7/14/2018:

The bricks do appear to be individual pieces. Mortar is then added between them:
They are veneers. Full bricks are rarely used anymore, especially when its cladding.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 10:12 PM

I lived in Wilmington briefly. And I must attest, it is an amazingly DULL city. Very little nightlife, arts/music venues, culture etc. Considering the number of employees in its downtown, it is quite shocking that things are so lackluster.

Cities of similar size: Harrisburg, PA and Lancaster, PA completely TROUNCE Wilmington in regards to amenities, culture and events.

My perception is simple. DE has strict liquor laws. There is a perception that Pennsylvania has strict laws, but the reality is. Last call in DE is 12:45AM. (Pretty freakin early). No 6 packs to go. Etc.

Yes there are plentiful liquor stores to pick up vodka to take home, but in terms of encouraging and fostering a restaurant and culinary scene, the alcohol laws, 100% affect the desirability and investment in nightlife.

The extra 75 minutes does not seem like much, but it makes a world of difference.

Wilmington has TONS of potential. Expanding the hours of nightlife venues and increasing investment in public transit, will pay MAJOR dividends for the city.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePlanningPhila View Post
I lived in Wilmington briefly. And I must attest, it is an amazingly DULL city. Very little nightlife, arts/music venues, culture etc. Considering the number of employees in its downtown, it is quite shocking that things are so lackluster.

Cities of similar size: Harrisburg, PA and Lancaster, PA completely TROUNCE Wilmington in regards to amenities, culture and events.

My perception is simple. DE has strict liquor laws. There is a perception that Pennsylvania has strict laws, but the reality is. Last call in DE is 12:45AM. (Pretty freakin early). No 6 packs to go. Etc.

Yes there are plentiful liquor stores to pick up vodka to take home, but in terms of encouraging and fostering a restaurant and culinary scene, the alcohol laws, 100% affect the desirability and investment in nightlife.

The extra 75 minutes does not seem like much, but it makes a world of difference.

Wilmington has TONS of potential. Expanding the hours of nightlife venues and increasing investment in public transit, will pay MAJOR dividends for the city.
I live in Wilmington & have lived in Central PA, I'll disagree a little. If you're speaking purely downtown, then yeah 2nd street has more nightlife than market street. But in terms of cultural amenities I'd probably give Wilmington area the edge. DE Arts museum, DE Natural History Museum, Childrens Museum, Hagley, Nemours gardens, Childrens Museum, Modern Art Museum, etc. Wilmington (area) also has a more affluent base supporting local businesses/institutions. Drive through Rockford Park area and I think it can contend in beauty with anywhere in the region. Also, Harrisburg is an incredibly beautiful place (mountains, river) but beyond jobs for the state gov or Hershey there isn't a lot to offer.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslice View Post
I live in Wilmington & have lived in Central PA, I'll disagree a little. If you're speaking purely downtown, then yeah 2nd street has more nightlife than market street. But in terms of cultural amenities I'd probably give Wilmington area the edge. DE Arts museum, DE Natural History Museum, Childrens Museum, Hagley, Nemours gardens, Childrens Museum, Modern Art Museum, etc. Wilmington (area) also has a more affluent base supporting local businesses/institutions. Drive through Rockford Park area and I think it can contend in beauty with anywhere in the region. Also, Harrisburg is an incredibly beautiful place (mountains, river) but beyond jobs for the state gov or Hershey there isn't a lot to offer.
Yeah I have to agree with jslice. Wilmington's downtown is mostly just the people that work in the buildings, but just a little outside the city, there is a lot to do like the things jslice mentioned. Also, just a little outside the city, North Wilmington is doing really well. It's downtown that needs to improve. Another problem with Wilmington is that where the city limits are is what causes Wilmington's crime to appear so high and for its population to appear so low. I could guarantee that if the Wilmington city limits extended as far south as New Castle and as Far North as North Wilmington and Brandywine, the population would be a lot larger and the crime would not appear as high.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
They are veneers. Full bricks are rarely used anymore, especially when its cladding.
Beats pre-cast "brick" panels.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 4:58 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Beats pre-cast "brick" panels.
I would say based on the application on this small building and where the veneer is needed, the method of laying individual veneers and then mortaring them together for the design seems appropriate. But, if you recalled the Alexander, pre-cast yellow brick veneer was appropriate there since the building was very large and individual veneers would of been cost prohibitive.

In the end, I think it all looks similar whether it is individually placed veneer or a sheet of pre-cast. Of course, I'm a fan of full brick but you only really see that in older buildings and not new construction.

Untitled by iheartphilly iheartphilly, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
I would say based on the application on this small building and where the veneer is needed, the method of laying individual veneers and then mortaring them together for the design seems appropriate. But, if you recalled the Alexander, pre-cast yellow brick veneer was appropriate there since the building was very large and individual veneers would of been cost prohibitive.

In the end, I think it all looks similar whether it is individually placed veneer or a sheet of pre-cast. Of course, I'm a fan of full brick but you only really see that in older buildings and not new construction.[img
I agree that panels turned out pretty well on this one (as apposed to 10 Rittenhouse). I think it's less significant on a high-rise. I think there's a more "authentic" look to the individual veneer pieces closer to ground level (or on a lowrise like One Ardmore).

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I agree that panels turned out pretty well on this one (as apposed to 10 Rittenhouse). I think it's less significant on a high-rise. I think there's a more "authentic" look to the individual veneer pieces closer to ground level (or on a lowrise like One Ardmore).
The Alexander looks great. I don't know what it is about 10 Rittenhouse that makes it look so bad. Color of the brick, quality, installation/application? Maybe all of those...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 5:33 AM

There are two construction sites between big fish and the dravo plaza shopping center at the riverfront in Wilmington, I know one is a new hotel, does anyone know what the second one is? Are the going to connect both sides eventually and be on big hotel or is it a separate project?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 7:56 AM

Abington Terrace

225 age-restricted units.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 8:01 AM

Willow Grove Station (Willow Grove, PA)

Directly across the street from Willow Grove R2 Warminster Regional Rail station.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations