HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 2:34 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge | 21.3 m | Completed

I realize that the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge project has been discussed at length in other threads, but given that it is just about a reality, I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Here's the City's homepage on this project:
http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/major.../index_en.html

Plan view:

Side view:

Cross section:

Rendering:

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 2:35 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Strandherd Bridge gets another go-ahead

The Ottawa Citizen, June 30, 2009

OTTAWA - The National Capital Commission approved the design and proposed corridor for the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge across the Rideau River on Tuesday.

The eight-lane bridge, with a traditional above-deck arch design, will be constructed beginning next year and be open by 2012. Gloucester-South Nepean Councillor Steve Desroches said the only remaining approvals need to come from Transport Canada and the Rideau Valley Conservation Authority.

The total project is worth $105 million, including construction of roads to the bridge. The bridge itself will cost $48 million.

Nepean-Carleton MP Pierre Poilievre showed up at the NCC board meeting Tuesday to witness the approval. Poilievre called the bridge "a handsome piece of infrastructure."

The bridge will link Riverside South with Barrhaven.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Strandherd+Bridge+gets+another+ahead/1747620/story.html

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 7:32 PM
I'm just joking.

Finally!

Although cyclists should have their own dedicated lane/ROW separated by a median.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 8:29 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
The Ottawa Citizen, June 30, 2009
Nepean-Carleton MP Pierre Poilievre showed up at the NCC board meeting Tuesday to witness the approval. Poilievre called the bridge "a handsome piece of infrastructure."
I think his actual words were "we'll be layin' down some tar, baby"

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 9:51 PM
I'm just joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I think his actual words were "we'll be layin' down some tar, baby"
I believe that is one of only a few phrases he knows, along with "Fuck the Indians".

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 8:06 PM

When is this scheduled to be built and opn.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 8:09 PM
National Capital Region

"The eight-lane bridge, with a traditional above-deck arch design, will be constructed beginning next year and be open by 2012. Gloucester-South Nepean Councillor Steve Desroches said the only remaining approvals need to come from Transport Canada and the Rideau Valley Conservation Authority"

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 12:15 PM

That is one nice looking bridge.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 3:13 PM

I do hope those transit lanes are convertible to LRT. I fear they won't be.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 9:34 PM
National Capital Region

RFQ for Construction has gone out!
http://www.merx.com/English/SUPPLIER...6280wu1A%3d%3d

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 6:46 PM
National Capital Region

South Ottawa bridge on track, authorities promise

THE OTTAWA CITIZENJANUARY 20, 2010 1:09 PM

OTTAWA — The Strandherd-Armstrong bridge is on budget and on schedule, city and federal authorities said at a Wednesday news conference.

At Moncion’s Your Independent Grocer, City of Ottawa engineers explained that construction of the $48-million bridge should start in May 2010 and be completed by 2012.

Another part of the project, the widening of Earl Armstrong Road to four lanes, is also on schedule — construction started in September 2009 and should be completed by March 2011.

Councillor Steve Desroches said the purpose of Wednesday’s conference was to keep federal and provincial partners and local businesses up to speed on the development of the project.

He also said he was very pleased with the progress being made on the project, which is moving forward at an accelerated pace.

The eight-lane bridge, which is to span 125 metres across the Rideau River, will connect River Road on the east bank with Prince of Wales Drive on the west bank.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 8:47 PM
Busy Beaver

The proposed transit/LRT ROW in Barrhaven is entirely on the south side of Strandherd — how exactly is LRT/BRT supposed to go from the outside lanes of this bridge and switch to the eventual dedicated ROWs on either end?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 9:05 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
The proposed transit/LRT ROW in Barrhaven is entirely on the south side of Strandherd — how exactly is LRT/BRT supposed to go from the outside lanes of this bridge and switch to the eventual dedicated ROWs on either end?
For now Strandherd is going to have bus lanes on the right hand side. IIRC With the NS LRT they were going to build a separate transit bridge once traffic demand warranted widening the S-A bridge..
http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/publi...d/db_4_en.html

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Jan 20, 2010 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 11:15 PM
Busy Beaver

I guess what I was wondering about was due to the fact that the bridge has a middle arch, which limits the redistribution of lanes on the bridge. Putting LRT on the south side of the bridge would make the vehicle lanes imbalanced. Are they thinking of eventually putting 4/5 car lanes on the north side and leaving the south side for trains, buses and bikes?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I guess what I was wondering about was due to the fact that the bridge has a middle arch, which limits the redistribution of lanes on the bridge. Putting LRT on the south side of the bridge would make the vehicle lanes imbalanced. Are they thinking of eventually putting 4/5 car lanes on the north side and leaving the south side for trains, buses and bikes?
Do you really think they have thought of such things? I suspect we will never see LRT crossing this bridge or an adjacent bridge in any of our lifetimes.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Do you really think they have thought of such things? I suspect we will never see LRT crossing this bridge or an adjacent bridge in any of our lifetimes.
The number I heard was "within 20 years" there would need to be a dedicated transit bridge to the south (about 50 m) of the S-A Bridge. I believe that Urbandale has been fighting the need to allow for a transit RoW for a new bridge, though, because it means that the sewers can't simply head north. (The new transit RoW would involve underpasses, or be trenched.)

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 4:20 PM
National Capital Region

Council approves city's share for bridge cost
Posted Jan 29, 2010
BY EMC NEWS
http://www.emcbarrhaven.ca/20100129/news/Council+approves+city's+share+for+bridge+cost

Councillors Steve Desroches and Jan Harder have announced that council has approved the city’s one-third share of the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge.
The city is completing the design of the bridge and is planning to begin the tender process, with construction scheduled to begin in the spring of 2010.
“This is an important milestone and this project has come a long way out of the ashes following the short-sighted LRT cancellation,” stated Coun Desroches in a press release.
Both the federal and provincial governments have committed to fund two-thirds of the project. The National Capital Commission has also approved the bridge design.
“I am proud of the benefits this bridge will bring to Barrhaven including the long awaited South District Ottawa Police station. We have truly been waiting a very long time,” Coun. Harder said in a release.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 6:21 PM
National Capital Region

from Councillor Desroches

Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge has gone to tender

I am pleased to announce that the City of Ottawa has finalized the design and engineering plans for the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge and the construction tendering process has been initialized. The project tenders have been submitted to the five contractors that were pre-qualified for this project. This past weekend I met with Councillor Jan Harder, MP Pierre Poilievre and MPP Yasir Naqvi at the site of the future bridge to unveil the new sign for the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge, which now includes the federal and provincial logos, illustrating the cooperation between all three levels of government on this important infrastructure project.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 12:17 PM

Construction was to have to have started in May,and word yet?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 1:09 PM

I just drove by there on Sunday. There is a lot of activity but it appears to be relating to the completion of Strandherd westward from Prince of Wales. I didn't see anything happening relating to the bridge itself or approaches to the bridge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation