HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Sienna at the Thompson in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 4:07 AM

Some more 500 footers would be nice. 400 footers are becoming redundant

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 4:12 AM
Meh

The renderings of it we've seen didn't show that mechanical penthouse up there, and I doubt the height of 504 feet included it either. Including that mechanical penthouse, which I would estimate to be around 20 feet tall, I'd say it was meant to be ~524 feet. That would make it taller than the Frost Bank Tower.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 5:45 AM

Another tower will be breaking ground here soon. But yeah I agree will the 400ft remark. We already have 1 U/C, with 3 of them JW Marriott, The Bowie, and included The Colorado Tower since it's close enough to the height mark, and 1 at 5th & West which about to get underway here soon. I'm hoping once this project starts it will be the last 400ft for a while.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 5:57 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

That it's shorter than Frost might not be a bad thing.

My favorite thing about this one was the base, and it looks like it still has that cool retro design with the long unbroken rows of windows and balconies with the stairs. At least I think, the guy's hand is covering up that part of the model.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 6:19 AM

I counted 35 stories. So we're looking at something around 400' with the mechanical screen. The design does indicate that they still have the hotel component which would be the first 15 or 16 floors. This is disappointing overall just because of the original proposal, but it does look like a nice building depending on the colors used.

That's a good scoop and no doubt they weren't expecting the model to be posted in a skyscraper thread already.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 8:02 AM
Meh

As it is now, counting Block 1, The Bowie and the JW Marriott, we have 11 buildings over 400 feet. We already have more 400 footers than San Antonio and Fort Worth combined, and we could soon pass Dallas.

Here's the breakdown:

Houston - 54 over 400 feet - 21 actual 400 footers.
Dallas - 29 over 400 feet - 10 actual 400 footers.
Austin - 11 over 400 feet - 8 actual 400 footers.
Fort Worth - 6 over 400 feet - 3 actual 400 footers.
San Antonio - 4 over 400 feet - 4 actual 400 footers.

On top of the ones we already have, there are 10 more planned. Of those, 6 would be actual 400 footers. So the possibly exists that Austin could end up with 21 buildings over 400 feet with 18 of them being actual 400 footers. So we actually have planned as many 400 footers as Dallas has now. With the possibility of having 18 actual 400 footers, Austin could end up with as many actual 400 footers as Dallas, Fort Worth and San Antonio have combined plus one more - so throw in Corpus Christi, too. At that point, Houston would have just 3 more actual 400 footers than Austin does, and that is nuts.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 8:18 AM

Austin could be ending up looking like Vancouver here pretty soon.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Austin could be ending up looking like Vancouver here pretty soon.
I sure hope Block 24 comes in at 60-stories to peak above all the ~400 footers.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I sure hope Block 24 comes in at 60-stories to peak above all the ~400 footers.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 10:27 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I counted 35 stories. So we're looking at something around 400' with the mechanical screen.
According to the elevations for the 47-story version, the 35th floor of that version of it is at 365 feet 10 inches. The mechanical penthouse rises another 19 feet above the main roof slab, so ~385 feet or so. That's assuming the two towers are similarly scaled with their floor-to-floor heights. Still, I believe the model shown in the photo is showing a building that is taller than 385 feet. I'd guess somewhere around 450 feet. It appears to be more squat than the original design, and is missing the setback. I rather liked that setback. It was one of the details of the original 21C tower I liked most.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 11:11 AM

If the info from the HAIF post is correct we should have more details next week. But like JDawg, I am always disappointed that every project isn't as tall as it could be.

On the positive side of this, I like the fact that they kept the original base design. The first three floors are interesting. Also, I wonder who the hotel operator will be? It should be a fairly upscale hotel.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 12:07 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Are we sure the guy is even finished with the model (floor-wise)?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 12:32 PM
Meh

Now that you mention it, the top does look kind of funny. And really, now that I think about it, it doesn't make sense that they would scale it back in size. The two factors that would cause that would be market demand, which the market still seems to be strong, and financing. And since this tower has Magellan behind it, and they have deep pockets and plenty of experience, it's unlikely they wouldn't be able to do it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
As it is now, counting Block 1, The Bowie and the JW Marriott, we have 11 buildings over 400 feet. We already have more 400 footers than San Antonio and Fort Worth combined, and we could soon pass Dallas.

Here's the breakdown:

Houston - 54 over 400 feet - 21 actual 400 footers.
Dallas - 29 over 400 feet - 10 actual 400 footers.
Austin - 11 over 400 feet - 8 actual 400 footers.
Fort Worth - 6 over 400 feet - 3 actual 400 footers.
San Antonio - 4 over 400 feet - 4 actual 400 footers.

On top of the ones we already have, there are 10 more planned. Of those, 6 would be actual 400 footers. So the possibly exists that Austin could end up with 21 buildings over 400 feet with 18 of them being actual 400 footers. So we actually have planned as many 400 footers as Dallas has now. With the possibility of having 18 actual 400 footers, Austin could end up with as many actual 400 footers as Dallas, Fort Worth and San Antonio have combined plus one more - so throw in Corpus Christi, too. At that point, Houston would have just 3 more actual 400 footers than Austin does, and that is nuts.
That's really interesting, but not entirely surprising. In general, taller buildings are more profitable. Unfortunately, local building requirements (FAR ratios, CVCs, affordably housing, parking requirements, etc) can shape the types of investments that are made. I'm not saying we shouldn't have design requirements, but we should be encouraging density, walkability, and affordability. The opportunity cost of what might have been built with better building codes is astounding. Sadly, the construction window is closing as we approach the next financial correction.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 1:00 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

What is the difference between 400-footer and "actual" 400-footer?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 1:40 PM

I don't believe that model is complete. There are cross beam supports showing at the top meaning there are floors to be added. With the dog leg architectural feature it appears to be about 5 more stories. This thing should be plus or minus 40 stories.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 2:10 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
What is the difference between 400-footer and "actual" 400-footer?
I just meant buildings we have that are over 400 feet versus ones that are actually 400 feet. Example, The Austonian, 360, Frost Bank Tower and W are each over 400 feet, but the only one in the 400 foot range is the W. If you think about it, our skyline is developing in a way that Houston and Dallas didn't, because while they were developing numerous 400 footers like we are, they were also seeing considerably taller buildings proposed and built at the same time.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 3:33 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Gotcha. So, I'm looking at your numbers again now that I know what is meant...

We currently have 11 total at 400'+ and 8 400-499'. You listed 10 towers in planning at 400'+, 6 of which are 400-499'.

So wouldn't that be 21 total, 14 of which are 400-499'? Not quite enough to have the same amount as Dallas+FW+SA+CC. Or am I missing 4?

Either way, that shows what we've all been saying re: all the 400-499' towers creating a flatter skyline.

% of towers over 400' that are in the 400-499' range
San Antonio 4/4 100%
Austin 8/11 73%
Fort Worth 3/6 50%
Houston 21/54 39%
Dallas 10/29 34%

If the planned towers get built, Austin's % would be 67%, a slight improvement.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
That list forgets about the Tower of the Americas AND I'm not sure that it has the correct height for Marriott Rivercenter, unless I'm misreading elsewhere the 546'.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 4:45 PM

I'll admit I want taller buildings but ain't it great that were griping over another measly 400 footer....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin