HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Sienna at the Thompson in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 12:43 AM

Suggestion for Building the Signature Tower as an Icon for Austin

Although Austin has an observation deck at the top of UT Tower, access is limited to certain days and with guided tours. This is why someone proposed the Signature Tower as Austin lacks a mass market observation deck and revolving restaurant like what is seen at Reunion Tower in Dallas or the Tower of the Americas in San Antonio. However, FAA regulations and the proximity to Austin Bergstrum Airport might mean the height of the tower being shortened from the proposed 1,111 feet. However, this tower should be built as would be an icon for the city in the same way Reunion Tower is for Dallas or the Tower of the Americas is for San Antonio. Also, would any of the sites listed work where else in the Downtown area could such a tower be built besides the ones listed on the website? https://austin.towers.net/downtown-a...-designed-one/

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 2:13 AM

i think we have a thread buried about this article. yeah i don't think anyone would be against it but it would have to be privately funded and decent chance the building would be a money pit. most observational decks were built for a fair, olympics or on top of a office building. i like the idea though

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
i think we have a thread buried about this article. yeah i don't think anyone would be against it but it would have to be privately funded and decent chance the building would be a money pit. most observational decks were built for a fair, olympics or on top of a office building. i like the idea though
Not to mention that IIRC, most of the office building observation decks that really serve a public purpose were built quite a long time ago. The most recent ones I could think of are the John Hancock building and Willis Tower in Chicago (both early 70's), with the lone exception of the World Trade Center in NYC.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 5:12 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Not to mention that IIRC, most of the office building observation decks that really serve a public purpose were built quite a long time ago. The most recent ones I could think of are the John Hancock building and Willis Tower in Chicago (both early 70's), with the lone exception of the World Trade Center in NYC.
Hudson yards also has one.

But we are not NYC.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 1:13 PM

How about an eye- type ferris wheel somewhere on the statesman property?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 5:16 PM

I think these types of observation towers are overrated, and economically wasteful. I'd rather see high-rises with observation decks (or commercial spaces like restaurants) at or near the top that are open to the public.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 5:33 PM

We could use a unique edifice, though. I mean, I think we're getting an above average share of interesting architecture for a DT of our size, but we're behind in the "other cool things" category. I like the Ferris Wheel idea, personally, but am open to anything memorable.

Also, once again I am asking for a world class museum.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 6:54 PM

I'll take a world-class aquarium or a planetarium over a museum. But yes, we do need more museums in general.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 7:21 PM
Resident Moron

Austin could use:

1) an amusement park of some sort - Cotaland is getting a real coaster so sure. That works.

2) A zoo - and not that animal rescue zoo

3) An aquarium - and not that dumb fish store up north.

4) More museums. We actually have pretty good ones thanks to UT but no one wants to go on campus. Because students.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 7:46 PM

Yeah, it would make more sense to just have an observation deck or public area at the top of a building than a tower like this. And, I'd prefer some kind of hotel bar/restaurant than a $20 tourist trap.

As far as interesting non-building structures, I think it would be cool to seem something like Hudson Yards' Vessel connected to the hike and bike trail. A climbable outdoor sculpture that would allow for views without waiting in line for an elevator. The exercise component and integration with the trail could make it a uniquely-Austin icon.
https://ny.curbed.com/2019/3/15/1826...herwick-photos

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 9:23 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

I say more fine art, cultural, and science museums over anything else. A zoo and/or aquarium would be bonuses. No need for an amusement park (unless it's Disney).

And, oh heck no, to that observation tower. But, nobody's going to build one anyway, so...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 9:34 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I say more fine art, cultural, and science museums over anything else. A zoo and/or aquarium would be bonuses. No need for an amusement park (unless it's Disney).

And, oh heck no, to that observation tower. But, nobody's going to build one anyway, so...
I'd be fine with an amusement park, but I would prefer it to be attached to something else as opposed to a standalone place (Disney aside). For instance, a *quality* park at COTA and/or Dell Diamond, and/or Q2 (not gonna happen there), or something like that.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 3:35 AM

Quote:

The Human Rights Museum in Winnipeg has an observation tower attached to it and something like that could be attached to a world class aquarium or museum. The Glasgow Science Center includes an observation tower and that is another option for Austin. Also an observation tower with an aquarium in Thailand and one at the DeYoung Museum in San Francisco.
https://www.elevatorscenestudio.com/...x3rwf9k158sssr
https://www.glasgowsciencecentre.org...-glasgow-tower
https://itsbetterinthailand.com/acti...rvation-tower/
https://deyoung.famsf.org/hamon-observation-tower-0

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:24 AM

Quote:

Austin needs something no other US city has, so Ski Austin (like Ski Dubai) would be a great choice. We have an indoor waterpark resort so why not an indoor ski resort?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:35 AM
クラブトクヨ

I agree! Austin needs something super unique! If we are a tourist city, let’s own it with something over the top and different.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SproutingTowers View Post
Austin needs something no other US city has, so Ski Austin (like Ski Dubai) would be a great choice. We have an indoor waterpark resort so why not an indoor ski resort?
Ski Austin would kill it. I would be there every weekend during the summer.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 10:30 PM
Resident Moron

Isn't there indoor skiing in New Jersey near Citi field?

We could try and reopen that surfing thing.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 10:46 PM

There was a "Ski-Austin" proposal several years ago. Details are probably buried in the Update thread. It obviously never happened. The renderings were amateurish, so that was a good indicator of its failure.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
We could try and reopen that surfing thing.
The pandemic killed the second go round of that place. I wonder if it'll ever make a comeback? I'm guessing the land is now more valuable to sell for other development than use as a surf park.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 4:29 PM

Maybe something like The Edge in NYC on our next supertall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin