HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 6:04 PM
FUS RO DAH!

guy 1
We have left the Vancouver Airport, we are in the Skytrain. We are going to leave our bags at house... going to our new home, right Dani (Dani waves to the camera).
Julio is talking to his father here... (shows Julio with the cell) And I am sweaty. Lets show the bags here on this side... look there... our luggage.

and its very easy, because you get out of the airport, there is already the Skytrain, and thats it! I wish it could work this way in Brazil.

girl1
Its true, without even mentioning the airport... we will get some borrowed photos of the airport later... the airport is marvellous.

guy1
Lets talk a bit about the airport... we didnt took any photo at the airport because we got afraid, since we were near to Immigration Section, of taking photos and filming in that area, right? Because there in the USA they are quite heavy on this issue and they take your camera.

And our first impression was the best in the world, because we left the airplane, got here, its all clean, the nature, birds singing... very 10/10.

Then we got down to Immigration, everything went all right, we left, met Julio and Dani, and are in the skytrain now... our first experience in Vancouver, awesome, awesome. No words to describe it, its fantastic here.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Here's the thing...fun is what you make it. If you're bored, you're really just not thinking hard enough. Vancouver has hundreds of events going on every day...go take part in some of them...get together with your neighbors and organize a block party...go support the local music scene...go support the local arts scene.
It's hard to support a music scene when venues like Hoko's and Little Mountain are being shut down by the city. Also, how much better would the scene be if certain unlicensed venues (thinking of a few in Chinatown) were able to advertise and promote openly?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
guy 1
We have left the Vancouver Airport, we are in the Skytrain. We are going to leave our bags at house... going to our new home, right Dani (Dani waves to the camera).
Julio is talking to his father here... (shows Julio with the cell) And I am sweaty. Lets show the bags here on this side... look there... our luggage.

and its very easy, because you get out of the airport, there is already the Skytrain, and thats it! I wish it could work this way in Brazil.

girl1
Its true, without even mentioning the airport... we will get some borrowed photos of the airport later... the airport is marvellous.

guy1
Lets talk a bit about the airport... we didnt took any photo at the airport because we got afraid, since we were near to Immigration Section, of taking photos and filming in that area, right? Because there in the USA they are quite heavy on this issue and they take your camera.

And our first impression was the best in the world, because we left the airplane, got here, its all clean, the nature, birds singing... very 10/10.

Then we got down to Immigration, everything went all right, we left, met Julio and Dani, and are in the skytrain now... our first experience in Vancouver, awesome, awesome. No words to describe it, its fantastic here.
yvr is voted among the best in n.a, and the feel is great...and van got great air, probably the best in the world, feels like a forest

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 6:43 PM

There certainly are a lot of Brazilians in Vancouver. I know 5 off the top of my head.

The Japanese must have let the word out, or something

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 7:50 PM

thanks Trantor for the translation

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
There certainly are a lot of Brazilians in Vancouver. I know 5 off the top of my head.

The Japanese must have let the word out, or something
my friend worked with a Japanese Brazilian - he was Japanese but born and raised in Brazil moved here in his 20's

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 8:28 PM

Quote:
You know, it sounds like a whole bunch of you have serious attitude problems. No fun? Really? What exactly is fun to all of you? More nightlife? More bars? Is your only idea of fun going out and getting trashed with strangers? You know what...you can do that anywhere...you don't need some new club. Are you all waiting for some fun emporium to open up and send you an RSVP?

Here's the thing...fun is what you make it. If you're bored, you're really just not thinking hard enough. Vancouver has hundreds of events going on every day...go take part in some of them...get together with your neighbors and organize a block party...go support the local music scene...go support the local arts scene. Get of your ass and do anything. Seriously...no kidding you're going to find things boring if you just sit on your computer waiting for fun to knock on your door.

A city is exactly as boring and un-fun as it's people make it. Stop bitching your being held back by some external force and make things happen yourself....
Amen... "it's boring, but we don't quite know why we think that" - yawn

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 8:42 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
my friend worked with a Japanese Brazilian - he was Japanese but born and raised in Brazil moved here in his 20's
if he was born and raised in Brazil, he was a brazilian, no?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 9:03 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

Here's the thing...fun is what you make it. If you're bored, you're really just not thinking hard enough. Vancouver has hundreds of events going on every day...go take part in some of them...get together with your neighbors and organize a block party...go support the local music scene...go support the local arts scene. Get of your ass and do anything.
But this is precisely the kind of fun (i.e., cultural events, arts and musical festivals) that the City of Vancouver is infamous for making very difficult to organize. The inordinate amount of time-consuming and expensive bureaucratic redtape imposed by our city on organizers makes putting on these kinds of events very cost/time prohibitive, drastically limiting the amount and diversity of events and festivals that take place here. As they have done in the realm of business, intrusive regulations have discouraged spontaneity, creativity and dynamism in the realm of arts and culture.

This is a fact that has long been lamented by Vancouver culture and arts event organizers. There were a number of articles written precisley about this issue after the success of the Olympics, one of which was posted on this forum at that time.

So, contrary to your claim, Vancouver does not have hundreds of events every day. But it could, if only the city would get out of the way.

Last edited by Prometheus; Oct 4, 2010 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Brazilians make up the third biggest minority group in Japan (500,000) just behind Chinese (600,000), and 1.5 million Brazilians of Japanese descent live in Brazil.

And since Japan does not separate by skin color, but by Country of Origin, they are indeed classified as their own minority group~

Japanese immigration to Brazil started in 1908~

So, my comment had more wit to it than it seemed at first glance

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 9:55 PM
So very tired...

^^ Then do what you can to remove those who cause this. If it is in fact bureaucracy then elect a mayor and council who will remove/replace them. Easier said than done, I admit, but you have to start somewhere. Hell, organize and take part in some flash-mob type activities. See what the biggest thing you can get away with without a permit is. It all starts with the people, so get like minded people together and let the people in charge know that the situation isn't acceptable anymore.

And by 'event' I mean everything from the smallest poetry reading in a dive coffee shop to the largest festival, and I stand by my assertion there are hundreds everyday. Not all of them will be advertised in the entertainment section of the Province. Seek them out, hell, that can be fun in itself. I seem to have plenty of fun when I come to Vancouver, and I managed to have plenty of fun the brief time I lived there years back.

I have fun no matter where I am, it's almost all a state of mind. I still contend that fun is what you make it, and that some people's idea of 'fun' seems rather narrow, and some people's idea of 'boring' seems overly broad.

YMMV I guess....

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Brazilians make up the third biggest minority group in Japan (500,000) just behind Chinese (600,000), and 1.5 million Brazilians of Japanese descent live in Brazil.

And since Japan does not separate by skin color, but by Country of Origin, they are indeed classified as their own minority group~

Japanese immigration to Brazil started in 1908~

So, my comment had more wit to it than it seemed at first glance
how come that many japanese live in brazil?

was brazil a more advanced country before japan boomed in the 60s?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post

After the end of feudalism in Japan, Brazil was the first Country to sign a treaty with Japan allowing immigration. Many areas of Japan were quite impoverished back then.

Not like now when 90% of people are self professed "middle class".

Of course, during WWI there was a bit of a mass exodus (160,000) from Japan to Brazil, who was thought to be rather "neutral" and safe at the time.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 10:57 PM

Infact my gf`s dad is Japanese as his parents came from Japan(her grandparents), her other side would be Italian. Her brother lived in Japan for a while and some of her Japanese relatives have even moved back to Japan. Brazil is a incredibly mixed country, infact in the south you even have so many European descendants that blond hair is common, in Brazil. As far as Sao Paulo goes its one of the more diverse cities. Infact in Sao Paulo there are 500,000 Japanese descendants living there, 6 million Italian, 400,000 German, 120,000 Chinese, 3million Portugese, 1million arab, 50,000 Greek, etc. Its as mixed as Vancouver. As far as Japanese go they have done a pretty good job of marrying Japanese, some like my gf dad broke that trend, but he is in the minority.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 11:01 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post

the concept of a country being advanced based on the living quality of its citizens its quite new.

most world powers in the 19th and early 20th century had terrible living conditions in its cities... add to that the industrialization of its rural areas leading to mass exodus to the cities... or other countries too.

Brazil was not a world power, but living conditions were as good (or better) here than in Germany, Italy or Japan.

Thats why Brazil got so many immigrants from those countries.

check out this Al Jazeera article... yes, Brazil too
Video Link

and this NatGeo Channel documentary (didnt found all parts in Youtube, I guess you can see it all at NatGeo´s website. Anyway, the program concludes in the end Mengele had no relation at all with the twins, in fact, its probable he never even visited the town)
Video Link

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 11:04 PM
BANNED

sounds like a neat skyscraper!....oh wait.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
if he was born and raised in Brazil, he was a brazilian, no?
yeah but maybe its a north american thing to say what someone is - like we say Chinese-Canadian or Indo-Canadian whatever fits

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
You know, it sounds like a whole bunch of you have serious attitude problems. No fun? Really? What exactly is fun to all of you? More nightlife? More bars? Is your only idea of fun going out and getting trashed with strangers? You know what...you can do that anywhere...you don't need some new club. Are you all waiting for some fun emporium to open up and send you an RSVP?

Here's the thing...fun is what you make it. If you're bored, you're really just not thinking hard enough. Vancouver has hundreds of events going on every day...go take part in some of them...get together with your neighbors and organize a block party...go support the local music scene...go support the local arts scene. Get of your ass and do anything. Seriously...no kidding you're going to find things boring if you just sit on your computer waiting for fun to knock on your door.

A city is exactly as boring and un-fun as it's people make it. Stop bitching your being held back by some external force and make things happen yourself....
Right on! One has to be a more proactive about all this.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 11:59 PM

Here is their second video, can any one translate it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqEQa7fLTOM

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 12:54 AM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windscar View Post
Here is their second video, can any one translate it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqEQa7fLTOM

"Vancouver sucks, everyone is ugly and the city smells bad"

just kidding

hey, look, I wont translate all the nonsense they say. I will only translate whatever they speak about Vancouver itself.

Guy2: 00:04
there is a skywalk there, see, which is nice to take photos from

Guy1: 00:08
We are... in Vancouver.

Guy1: 00:39
The first impression I have of Vancouver is that its a place extremelly well organized, a place of educated (in the sense of being nice) people, at least thats the first impression I have.

Its clean... with a very very good asphalt pavement, just look at the asphalt (personally, I see no asphalt where they are pointing the camera! Looks like concrete).

Look at the asphalt people... its almost white (of course. It isnt asphalt! Gosh).

We are marvelled with the things in Vancouver. Public transport is right on-time, it works VERY well...

You get out of the airport, already gets the Skytrain... we arrived in 40 minutes from where we were, carrying the big bags, etc.

Guy2
(says something about the time between the airport and the end of Skytrain taking 25 mins more 15 mins to their home)

Guy1
It was super easy

Guy1: 02:20
No words, no words... I only get sad of having been born in Brazil and having suffered for so long (what a sucker!)

(Then the two idiot girls cross the street to get some free shampoo, all happy, like if it was some novelty to get free samples in Brazil )

Guy2
Here in Vancouver you get lots of free samples on the street...

Guy1 also talks about having a lot of orientals in the city, something they already knew (and no, in Brazil "oriental" is not politically incorrect... an american or brazilian is an "ocidental", and someone from the far east is "oriental"... it just refers to the hemisphere of origin)

they also mention the city has tons of Starbucks...

Guy1 sucks up to Sears talking how cheap and amazing it is (in Massachussets), but Guy2 says Sears at Vancouver is not that cheap

ps: one of the girls talks about Dallas, and Guy1 talks about Massachussets, so at least you Vancouverites know they arent really being amazed at Vancouver comparing to a third world brazilian city... it seems they are amazed at Vancouver even comparing to some american cities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion