HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do we want to explore possible move?
Yes, we'd like to explore a possible move 30 66.67%
No, we want to stick with what's familiar 6 13.33%
Stick to SSP, but confirm plan B EAA 9 20.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Given that a workable solution that provides project continuity is important to me, I experimented by creating a couple of new threads over at SkyriseCities. In the initial post, which summarizes the project (basically a copy of the project summary post from the SSP thread), I've displayed a Discussion History link back to the originating SSP thread, so that it is as easy as possible to go back and find the original information if needed. Does this work for you folks?

https://skyrisecities.com/forum/thre...roposed.37205/

https://skyrisecities.com/forum/thre...roposed.37203/
That's a great option. I quite like that. I'd be in favour of migrating to the new forum as well, especially if we had something like that over there.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 3:19 PM

We also need to consider and bring on the airport/airplane folks in the Ottawa Airport thread. Are they aware and would rather stay here or do we need to make a mention in the thread there? Seems it's still active to this day and the thread I created on the new site isn't touched yet.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 4:03 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ed, is there any theme cutomization support on SkyriseCities? I looked quickly through my Account Profile pages, but couldn't find it.

After spending some hours now scanning postings, I've got to say that I'm finding the skinny grey font very difficult to read against the white background. I'm using Windows 10, so it's Roboto Light that's being used (the head of the font stack). Firefox renders this font slightly more clearly than Chrome, but neither is ideal. I think that a somewhat darker text colour would improve overall readability of the site.

It sounds funny, but this little detail would actually be a deal-breaker for me. When a site isn't easily and comfortably readable, then I eventually stop visiting.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 6:20 PM

Seems SSP has doubled down on advertisement now. No longer just at the top and bottom, it's now between posts. Very annoying.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 6:36 PM
inner city

So horrible on mobile, now even for armchair users like me who aren’t posting images and links.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 3:11 PM

I hope everybody had a Merry Christmas.

We're ready to proceed on our end. Should we assume, based on the poll, that the general consensus is to make the move?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 3:12 PM

Will look into it.
Quote:
Ed, is there any theme cutomization support on SkyriseCities? I looked quickly through my Account Profile pages, but couldn't find it.

After spending some hours now scanning postings, I've got to say that I'm finding the skinny grey font very difficult to read against the white background. I'm using Windows 10, so it's Roboto Light that's being used (the head of the font stack). Firefox renders this font slightly more clearly than Chrome, but neither is ideal. I think that a somewhat darker text colour would improve overall readability of the site.

It sounds funny, but this little detail would actually be a deal-breaker for me. When a site isn't easily and comfortably readable, then I eventually stop visiting.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto View Post

We're ready to proceed on our end. Should we assume, based on the poll, that the general consensus is to make the move?
Merry Christmas!

I am ready, for my part!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 1:32 PM

Quote:

Yup, seems like there's a pretty strong consensus.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 3:57 PM

Awesome! Looking forward to having you come over. Will start the backend work. Will reach out when ready. In the meanwhile come and join.

https://skyrisecities.com/forum/forums/buildings.450/

Happy New Year all!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Awesome! Looking forward to having you come over. Will start the backend work. Will reach out when ready. In the meanwhile come and join.

https://skyrisecities.com/forum/forums/buildings.450/

Happy New Year all!

As of now, I am only posting building updates on the new site. I look forward to continuing other discussions on there once we have mods and organization!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2024, 11:30 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post

That was my first thought upon seeing the new site. It's like.. washed out.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 1:08 AM
Mooderator

Gonna be honest - if this site disappears, I will probably disappear too.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I've been a longtime lurker (2 years) and avoided posting or creating a profile because of how unfriendly the website is. The new website is much better IMO

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 5:06 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Ditto. I'm one of the people who voted no.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 5:22 PM

I have deliberately not voted. If we move to a new site and it is mostly about new developments and discussions about urbanism and municipal affairs declines, then my participation will likely also decline. Some will likely cheer, but I believe a suburban perspective is important in our discussions.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Ditto. I'm one of the people who voted no.
I found neither this site nor the skycities site super user friendly at first...starting to get the hang of them. I'm still struggling to figure out how to use the skycities menus to move between the various 'forums' or whatever the heck. It's not intuitive for me there yet but I will adjust. Adding the 'Buildings' Forum to my watch list made my life a bit simpler...saved searching for it or trying to click links to find it. Still need to click around more to see if there are other 'lists' I should be following on there to track suburban vs urban topics but meh! ...keep clicking right?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawacurious View Post
I found neither this site nor the skycities site super user friendly at first...starting to get the hang of them. I'm still struggling to figure out how to use the skycities menus to move between the various 'forums' or whatever the heck. It's not intuitive for me there yet but I will adjust. Adding the 'Buildings' Forum to my watch list made my life a bit simpler...saved searching for it or trying to click links to find it. Still need to click around more to see if there are other 'lists' I should be following on there to track suburban vs urban topics but meh! ...keep clicking right?
Yeah, I find the navigation on this website better. With SkyriseOttawa, we need to scroll way down to see the forum options, can't navigate between forums when you're on one. Maybe I'm missing something.

Some things are much more user friendly on Skyrise, but SSP has a lot going for it as well. It's simpler.

But yeah, as I suspected, it sounds like we'll end up splitting the participation between two sites, so both will be moderately active instead of having one very active site.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Yeah, I find the navigation on this website better. With SkyriseOttawa, we need to scroll way down to see the forum options, can't navigate between forums when you're on one. Maybe I'm missing something.

Some things are much more user friendly on Skyrise, but SSP has a lot going for it as well. It's simpler.

But yeah, as I suspected, it sounds like we'll end up splitting the participation between two sites, so both will be moderately active instead of having one very active site.
When you split the group, there is a good chance that both sites will suffer. Hopefully not, but the end result may be less participation.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 8:12 PM

I thought that was the purpose of holding a vote? The majority chose to move. This site has shown to be unreliable and difficult to use.

Of course, changing to a new platform will come with a learning curve, but I feel a short learning period will put us in a more sustainable place than just staying put.

Considering the majority voted to move, can we all agree to give SkyriseCities the good ol' college try at least for a few months? Maybe at that time, we can do another vote on whether to stay or come back.

I will be using SkyriseCities moving forward, checking in here the odd time.

Quote:
I have deliberately not voted. If we move to a new site and it is mostly about new developments and discussions about urbanism and municipal affairs declines, then my participation will likely also decline. Some will likely cheer, but I believe a suburban perspective is important in our discussions.
@lrt's friend I agree that a suburban perspective is important in the discussions! It would be great if you made the move. Feel free to start any threads you think are relevant or missing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion